CES 2020 News: Sony announces 4K, 8K and OLED TVs

HDR+, on the 48"?

I was looking at their current 55" A9 vs. Panasonic GZ950B and erring towards the latter due to HDR+.

Would prefer 48" though - any indication of physical dimensions?

My current TV has so far lasted 13 years so I want to go for the latest tech as I won't be changing every couple years for features!

The AF9 from 2018 had the Ultimate processor, but only supported a fraction of the HDMI 2.1 spec - certainly not the support expected due to the work of LG, known capabilities of incoming new-gen consoles, etc.

Good point. Perhaps I'll wait until after the PlayStation 5 is released before I upgrade my TV.

So when are the new AG9 released is it worth waiting or is basically the same

Doesn't seem to be much difference on offer from last years models to warrant any upgrade other than the possible inclusion of HDMI 2.1. I'd ask the question as to whether there is any real difference between 8K LED or 4K OLED? No HDR +10 either on any of the models which to me puts Panasonic & LG in prime position.

No HDR +10 either on any of the models which to me puts Panasonic & LG in prime position.
Panasonic yes, but not LG, because LG do Dolby Vision but not HDR10+. Only Panasonic and Philips of the bigger television manufacturers do both Dolby Vision and HDR10+.

Last edited:
Apologies if it was already been mentioned here but read yesterday (french website, but only source stating that. Handle with care) that the new Sony fald 75 and above is a refined version of zd9 master back drive with x motion clarity on top. Should interest you @GadgetObsessed

@Steve Withers, do you think Sony could bring back cledis to compete with Samsung and LG micro led ?
Was very surprised that they still use the master back drive...will be good to confirm this point if known.

Last edited:
@Steve Withers, do you think Sony could bring back cledis to compete with Samsung and LG micro led? Was very surprised that they still use the master back drive...will be good to confirm this point if known.
This is just my opinion, but when it comes to display technology I don't think Sony (and Panasonic for that matter) has been investing anything in research and development. The Sony 2020 line-up is just last year's models with new names, although the same can be said for most of the other manufacturers as well.

This is just my opinion, but when it comes to display technology I don't think Sony (and Panasonic for that matter) has been investing anything in research and development. The Sony 2020 line-up is just last year's models with new names, although the same can be said for most of the other manufacturers as well.
Have to agree heavily with you here....not much compared to Visio, hisense and Samsung for sure...
Only exception is pana top oled but that was last year !!!!
I am so glad I finally got my Pana fz802...gonna wait happily for micro led to be within reach....2023 estimated !!!! Bets on...

So, since 2017, Sony has made the A1, then the AF8, the AF9, the AG8, AG9 and now the AH9. I'd love to see an AH9 against an A1. I have no doubt it'll look a bit better (based on the litmus test: 'can your girlfried/partner tell?'..) but...not even close to the extent one would perhaps assume given the amount of 'improved' panels they've released over these last few years...

I love my Sony, but I do find the brand to be particularly greedy...& particularly lazy (exception being their Marketing department...those guys sure are busy)

HDMI 2.1 must be coming to their OLEDs in a mid year range refresh then, given PS5? Which would be a smart move in maintaining price if so. Talk about a missed opportunity if not.
Why not upgrade to HDMI 2.1 now?, can't understand the logic.
LG had it on last years models and now we know both the PS5 and the Xbox Series X will have HDMI 2.1.
I'm not waiting a year to buy a new tv and I'm not buying one that doesn't have HDMI 2.1, guess I will have to upgrade from my XF9005 to a LG CX then.
Stupid business decision from Sony, bet they will loose a lot of customers to LG because of this.

Why not upgrade to HDMI 2.1 now?, can't understand the logic.
I wager it's a pricing related strategy, to work toward the goals of both maintaining margin and perception of quality. Adding full 2.1 in a mid-year refresh closer to PS5 release, helps them maintain their desired prices per unit sold, as the model is seemingly newer. Whereas LG's sets would have been out for longer, with retailers putting pressure on LG to reduce the price of remaining stock & thus lower margins and perception of quality.

Last edited:
I wager it's a pricing related strategy. Adding full 2.1 in a mid-year refresh closer to PS5 release, helps them maintain their desired prices per unit sold, as the model is seemingly newer. Whereas LG's sets would have been out for longer, with retailers putting pressure on LG to reduce the price of remaining stock.
Wait, so the new 2020 TVs don’t have HDMI 2.1?
I’m in the market to upgrade now and am looking at either an x950g or a Samsung q80r. Was considering holding off for a 2020 model but that was based on the inclusion of HDMI 2.1
Seeing as I’m coming from a 2010 kdl-55ex500, the 2019 models may suit me just fine and will save me some money

Wait, so the new 2020 TVs don’t have HDMI 2.1?
I’m in the market to upgrade now and am looking at either an x950g or a Samsung q80r. Was considering holding off for a 2020 model but that was based on the inclusion of HDMI 2.1
Seeing as I’m coming from a 2010 kdl-55ex500, the 2019 models may suit me just fine and will save me some money
Sony 2020 LED models confirm 4k120fps, but not confirmed for OLED iirc.

I don't think Sony can get away with phoning in another years releases - but that appears to be exactly what they have done.

Mind you they never give any technical details out with these "launches" so maybe they have some improvements up their sleeve.

Sony 2020 LED models confirm 4k120fps, but not confirmed for OLED iirc.
4k120fps is only confirmed to the 8K LCD Models ZH8 and the LCD Models XH90
there is no 4k120fps Support on the other new LCD Models including the XH95

No HDMI 2.1 in a year when Sony themselves are releasing a console that takes advantage of those very specs is typical of the company.

I buy Sony TVs almost exclusively. I know going in the company don’t care about me, are especially greedy, give their TVs a slow OS, keep the same processors year after year, are always last with features......and yet, the picture quality is just so damn good!

it’s the same with cameras. I moved to Fuji a few yrs ago and overall I am happy with that choice - 3 yrs after getting my X-T2, they gave me internal 4K recording, new modes and 1080 120fps when it didn’t have it previously.....yet when my mate brings out his Sony A7R3, I cant help but fall for the images and video from it!

A TV manfuacturer finally releases an OLED TV in sub 50" screen size..... Hallelujah!!!

If the performance of the 48" Sony A9 OLED is great, then it could finally replace my 42" Pioneer Kuro 8G Plasma.

No HDMI 2.1 in a year when Sony themselves are releasing a console that takes advantage of those very specs is typical of the company.
by the time console will really start selling they will have 2021 models on sale also.
Although, I'm not sure why people raving so much about that. I remember when PS3 was about to come out and all that talk about full HD........ So I went I bought 1080p TV that at a time was veeeeeerry expensive just to realize that the only 1080p coming out of console are SOME rendered scene in SOME games.
Then there's PS4 Pro which also didn't really brin4 4K 60FPS gaming as titles would suggest.
Now, try to build a PC that can do 4k 120FPS and see how much that cost.

SONY. make. believe

but the thing with SONY is that I don't believe. Not before I see it.

by the time console will really start selling they will have 2021 models on sale also.
But why would people buy this years models if they know they will need a new tv next year to get the most out of their next-gen consoles?.

they might be jonesing for a new TV but not yet fully understand the situation. this is what the margin-interested Japanese manufacturers are banking on.

But why would people buy this years models if they know they will need a new tv next year to get the most out of their next-gen consoles?.
....or maybe they won't. We don't really know the specs of H series let alone what the PS5 will do. Even if just on paper.
And the thing is that most people have no idea about any of the things we talk here and that's why they are all able to push the same repacked crap year after year.
It all just marketing BS and you really find out what does not work once you bring it home.

As the owner of 3 Sony OLEDs I was looking forward to the 48' A9 to replace my last LCD.
The lack of HDMI 2.1 means I won't buy it.

It's inexcusable. In the AF9 thread someone pointed that by the time the PS5 rolls out the announcement of new OLEDs will be 4 to 5 weeks away... add 5 to 6 months over that for them to be release.

I don't understand how people can justify this. Sony announced new OLEDs and the consensus is "Don't buy them. Wait for 2021". I would think that is a bad thing, not some smart business decision.

The AF9 released in September of its release year.
This year, my money's on a mid-year refresh announce in June, for them to be released in September. Could be wrong of course.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom