CES 2020 Preview: What to expect - news discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to seeing all the new tech that will be released next year......
Hoping that LG will add HDR10+ to their OLEDs and also hoping that Sony will maybe show new projectors (although that will probably be wishful thinking)

I saw a large transparent LG touch screen in use during the year, I didnt think about if it was OLED, but it was quite impressive. Although one could still look through / see through the screen when it was in use which would be distracting if there is movement in the background.

I expect almost nothing on the consumer affordable TV front besides the usual incremental upgrades and the same old marketing BS.

It will be interesting to see what advances LG make in their 10 series OLEDs. (Assuming that they stick to the annual product launch cycle that they have had in the past.) According to Danny Tack from Philips LG will be releasing sets with a small (10% to 15% or aroudn 100 nits) increase in peak brightness.

I wonder if LG will include any of the changes that Panasonic made in their custom OLED panel?

I assume that it is still too early to see any consumer ready QD-OLED or micro-LED sets - those technologies still seem to be a few years away from consumer release.

I have very little interest in 8k sets and the general consensus appears to be that it has little real world benefit. However, I expect 8k to be a central theme across all the manufacturers.

It will be interesting to see what advances LG make in their 10 series OLEDs. (Assuming that they stick to the annual product launch cycle that they have had in the past.) According to Danny Tack from Philips LG will be releasing sets with a small (10% to 15% or aroudn 100 nits) increase in peak brightness.

I wonder if LG will include any of the changes that Panasonic made in their custom OLED panel?

I assume that it is still too early to see any consumer ready QD-OLED or micro-LED sets - those technologies still seem to be a few years away from consumer release.

I have very little interest in 8k sets and the general consensus appears to be that it has little real world benefit. However, I expect 8k to be a central theme across all the manufacturers.
Last year there was claims the LG panel structure will continue to 2020. QD-OLED prototype was shown behind closed doors January by samsung displays. I also have a feeling the Zg2000 might continue to next year. If if do see an increase of brightness will be interesting to see if we can tell the difference, when watching real content

I wonder if LG will ever be able to push OLED through the 1000nit level. They seem to be stuck on around 700nits, perhaps at the limit of what the tech can ever deliver.

That said as I watch movies in the dark I'm perfectly content with my now rather antique 700nit B7. If it had eARC and VFR it would really do everything I ever need.

One area where I would like to see huge improvements however is in PC displays. HDR in any form is still incredibly rare, with most of the "HDR" PC monitors on offer topping out at 300 or 400nits. The few displays that can hit 1000nits are saddled with ridiculous price points (well north of £2000 for a 34" screen) and a comically low number of FALD zones. Sorry LCD makers, 500 isn't enough. Add a couple of zeros to the end and it might be worth it. My OLED has over 8 million dimming zones, so try harder.

Hopefully we will get more affordable laser projectors (Under £5000) from the big boys.
Epson has been very quiet on this front so I suspect may spring something.
Optoma also has a good model with their UHZ65, so we may see a 2nd generation from them with full P3 support and more flexible set-up options. (Hopefully they will stick with the 0.66 chip rather than using the 0.47 version)
Hopefully we will also see more 4K projectors in the under £2000 (Or even under £1000) category.
Due to the size of houses in the UK I don't see TVs over 75" going very far, particularly as ST projectors are dropping in price, (As well as adding sound-bars) and it wouldn't take much to add a motorised screen to them. (The cool factor of the OLED roll up screen at a fraction of the price)

Bill

Probably more one for the Feedback forum but just so you're aware, the tags are overflowing into and obscuring the first paragraph of text on my mobile (iPhone X).

A9102C44-C3C9-48F6-9E04-7B3B8EF7BA1C.jpeg

I know this 'preview' was mainly about TV technology - but in my system the oldest box is my FreeSat Box?
Would it be too much to hope of seeing a Freeview Box that would handle 4K channels by the time of the Summer Olympics?
FreeSat Recorder news and updates seem to be very rare nowadays - unless oneone knows different?
Cheers

Interested to see whether HDMI 2.1 becomes a thing beyond LG televisions. The way things are going I wouldn't bet against another year of HDMI 2.0b on most equipment.

Last edited:
Interested to see whether HDMI 2.1 becomes a thing beyond LG televisions. The way things are going I wouldn't bet on another year of HDMI 2.0b on most requipment.

So you think 2.1 will become the standard on most sets in 2020?

Interested to see whether HDMI 2.1 becomes a thing beyond LG televisions. The way things are going I wouldn't bet on another year of HDMI 2.0b on most requipment.

I’m assuming we will be seeing some more AV receivers going 2.1 (especially as Yamaha had a “year out” this year) to go along with the higher end tv’s. As it seems to be the new consoles at the end of next year implementing 2.1, I suppose we may see another year of 2.0b tv’s, won’t be surprised if many play the old one port 2.1, the rest 2.0b stunt.

Hoping Panasonic brings out a GZ2000 OLED without the Atmos speaker system for 2020. :lease:

Can I get a 4k 32-43 Inch, full array local dimming LCD with decent HDR, HDMI 2.1, VRR/ Freesnyc Support, 120HZ panel, 10Bit Panel.

Can I get a 4k 32-43 Inch, full array local dimming LCD with decent HDR, HDMI 2.1, VRR/ Freesnyc Support, 120HZ panel, 10Bit Panel.
No. :rotfl:

From past experience I doubt any manufacturers will be willing to put a high end model out in such a small size. Although you may see monitors like that.

I wonder if LG will ever be able to push OLED through the 1000nit level. They seem to be stuck on around 700nits, perhaps at the limit of what the tech can ever deliver.

That said as I watch movies in the dark I'm perfectly content with my now rather antique 700nit B7. If it had eARC and VFR it would really do everything I ever need.

One area where I would like to see huge improvements however is in PC displays. HDR in any form is still incredibly rare, with most of the "HDR" PC monitors on offer topping out at 300 or 400nits. The few displays that can hit 1000nits are saddled with ridiculous price points (well north of £2000 for a 34" screen) and a comically low number of FALD zones. Sorry LCD makers, 500 isn't enough. Add a couple of zeros to the end and it might be worth it. My OLED has over 8 million dimming zones, so try harder.
I bought a 49" Samsung 5k monitor that claims to have HDR at 1000 nits for less than £1,000. It is a Christmas present for someone so I have not seen it in action yet. Dont think it has any independently dimmable zones though.

There must be a reason why so few sets have gone much beyond 500 zones on any TV of any size - the most I have ever seen is still lower than 1,000 and then only at 75". Even the new TCL that I saw rave previews of as it has 25,000 LED backlights, has fewer than 1,000 independently dimmable zones.

While LG displays (and Sony) have been stuck around 750 nits, Panasonic with their custom OLED panel have already hit 1,000 nits. (Interestingly the latest Philips set with a standard 2019 panel hits 900 nits. )

The diagrams below are from Flat Panels HD reviews

LG C9
LG C9.png

Panasonic GZ2000
Panasonic.png

Philips 934
Philips.png

One thing is not mentioned is Panasonic upcoming 4k uhd players, my ub820 has been flawless. Really looking forward seeing new models

I wonder if we'll see half as many UHD players this year.

That 8K industrial holographic display sounds pretty amazing. I wonder can it properly render a 3D bluray signal like an LG E6 but sans 3D glasses. I know cost is probably prohibitive but if it does it and I get lucky with the lottery i'd be tempted by such a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom