CES VIDEO: What is IMAX Enhanced? - news discussion

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
In 5 years time will this turn out to be THX-2?

Thanks for the interview, Phil. I feel you asked all the right questions.

I'm in a not untypical situation; I think I understand this, but I've a nagging doubt that I've got it wrong.

I suppose my question is, if you play back an IMEX-Enhanced disc on a 'normal' player, amp and display, and the display is correctly calibrated, will we see what the disc-maker intended or not?

If the answer is yes, what's the point of an IMAX-Enhanced display?

If the answer is no...I suspect that raises a hundred new questions. :D

I think IMAX Enchanced will be the next THX.....
Agree and is anybody going to take any notice of it, i don't think so, big yawn.

At least this fellow was able to give more information than the THX bloke yesterday. I do also think it’s good to be able to have a display that you can press 1 setting and it turns off all processing, sticks on the right frame rate, sets up HDR correctly and so on.

The reality is that it has become increasingly hard to dig around in the sub menus and figure out what your display maker has decided to call certain things.

One question that I would like to have seen asked is whether all imax enhanced content will be presented as 1.89:1 or whether the filmmakers intent would be preserved.

IMAX and DTS respond to Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos with a "Me too" ticket for a train that has already left the station.

Thanks for the interview, Phil. I feel you asked all the right questions.

I'm in a not untypical situation; I think I understand this, but I've a nagging doubt that I've got it wrong.

I suppose my question is, if you play back an IMEX-Enhanced disc on a 'normal' player, amp and display, and the display is correctly calibrated, will we see what the disc-maker intended or not?

If the answer is yes, what's the point of an IMAX-Enhanced display?

If the answer is no...I suspect that raises a hundred new questions. :D

IMAX and DTS respond to Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos with a "Me too" ticket for a train that has already left the station.

If they all look like their Incredible Planet disc, count me in regardless

On an OLED it looked fabulous, sadly I can’t get DTS-X, only Atmos so cannot comment too much about the sound

Be interesting to see what non IMAX films/documentary discs are like. But if it means getting IMAX stuff in well treated 4K I’m buying a lot of them.

However, this is DTS handing IMAX a big fat cheque no doubt trying to be relevant in the UHD era and I highly doubt their “chosen” equipment is going to be anything too elite. It’s BS. Saying that, the Incredie Planet would make mince meat of many LCD TV’s, but that’s just that particular disc.

I’m also weary about having the settings chosen for me.

But it did look good.

Great questions asked Phil.

I wonder if there is a partnership between IMAX Enhanced and HDR10+? I only ask because (from memory) the first IMAX Enhanced discs were also the first HDR10+ discs.

I echo the comments above and can't say that I'm particularly enthused about IMAX enhanced certified AVRs, TVs and the like.

Will there be IMAX Enhanced T-Shirts like you could get for THX or maybe even a coffee mug?

Great questions asked Phil.

I wonder if there is a partnership between IMAX Enhanced and HDR10+? I only ask because (from memory) the first IMAX Enhanced discs were also the first HDR10+ discs.

I echo the comments above and can't say that I'm particularly enthused about IMAX enhanced certified AVRs, TVs and the like.

Yet the only TV partner of IMAX Enhanced (SONY) cant do HDR10+...

I'm surprised Phil didn't call him out on this?

I noticed three things.

One, at about five minutes and forty seconds elapsed, some manufacturers of IMAX-E compatible receivers were shown. Yamaha was not amongst them.

Two, Mr Brown said, almost as an aside, that the minimum size display for IMAX-E, in America at least, is 65 inches.

Three, @Phil Hinton Mr Hinton badly needs to buy in time for CES 2020, a very light, portable microphone stand, so that he doesn't have to tire his arm by having it stretched out holding the microphone for up to ten minutes at a time while doing these interviews!! :)

Last edited:
Better information than the THX interview. The THX guy is kicking himself and thinking ‘Dam it, why didn’t I say that’.

Brilliant questions by Phil.

A bit sparse where studio support on physical media is concerned, hopefully more studios may Jump on board. The comparisons between iMax enhanced software and standard software will be interesting!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom