Champions League Thread 18/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was an amazing achievement by Spurs to reach the final of the biggest club competition in the sport given their frugality over the years. Great management by Pochettino since he arrived at the club and for improving players who probably couldn't have imagined reaching the CL final when he took charge.

Who will you sign this season though? Seems like your revenue has taken a significant boost because of the deep CL run so hopefully DL will loosen the purse strings this summer.

Think you were after Jack Grealish last summer. Could have been a good signing for you. Wonder if you'll be back in for him.

Then there's this transfer rumour... o_O

Four reasons why signing Andy Carroll makes sense for Tottenham

Then there's this transfer rumour...
I see that was from January so makes signing no one a more attractive option. The side needs strengthening so the last thing Spurs need is to trade a mule for a donkey.

I remember sitting in a spanish bar last September and watching us beat Spurs 2-1 at Wembley in a really convincing way. Spurs looked tired already and the punditry narrative then was their season was borked due to not strengthening the squad in any way. Then in January they still bought no one and flogged Dembele so were arguably weaker again. So fair play, to reach the CL final and get top 4 again was a pretty great achievement in my book. They also went deeper than us in the domestic cups as well.

Pretty incredible achievement by Spurs to reach the final really, considering two facts I heard recently regarding their domestic and european campaigns:

They lost 20 games this season, which was only 5 short of their worst season on record (a little ambiguous because it's not like for like number of games).

Only AEK Athens lost more games than Spurs in the Champions League this season.

So it's really a remarkable job the squad and Pochettino have dones this season, but you do get the impression that if Spurs do not invest in this squad this summer then this could be their plateau. They will run the huge risk of losing Pochettino, and if that happens there are no guarantees that a new coach will come straight in, pick up the reigns and continue to over achieve (based on squad depth and lack of investment) next season.

Interesting times.

There's absolutely no way Spurs won't spend in the summer. Never mind Pochettino walking,what top class manager would go there with nothing to spend?

Is it also true that Spurs conceded the most amount of goals this season in the CL? Overheard Wenger saying that on the radio while I was driving so perhaps misheard him due to concentrating on the road.

Edit - A new rb and gk for Spurs perhaps?

How is Wanyama playing these days? Wasn't a huge fan when he was at Celtic and think he has been lucky to play at a higher level for Spurs. Can't believe he was unable to do push-ups in the gym at Celtic! Apparently hated lifting weights which doesn't compute as the guy is built like a tank.

How is Wanyama playing these days? Wasn't a huge fan when he was at Celtic and think he has been lucky to play at a higher level for Spurs. Can't believe he was unable to do push-ups in the gym at Celtic! Apparently hated lifting weights which doesn't compute as the guy is built like a tank.

He's had a poor season due to a few injuries and lack of form when he got back. Seems to have lost that aggressive edge and his touch and passing are woeful. I'd be surprised if he's still at Spurs next season.

Champions League Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom