Question change to buy a new sub by BK, any good this one?

Waynester

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

selling my Q Acoustics 3070S, got a chance to buy a used sub for a good price.. is this one good?

will it upset my neighbours as it’s down firing type, I live in a ground floor flat lol!
are they reliable? Any issues with them?

Im sure it’s gonna be a huge upgrade on my QA sub

They're a well regarded sub on here and yes it will be a good upgrade on your current sub.

There’s a 4 year old one going for £295, think that’s a bit too much for someat this old ? Don’t know what they originally cost

Yes, your neighbours will wonder why the hell B52 Bombers are passing every time you watch a film :rotfl:

Have a look at ebay for grade b versions, they're cheaper, still new and have warranty. Got mine from there, cant see any reason why its grade b and its a good sub.

It'll be a huge upgrade from from 3070s, I went from a 3070s to a 200df and it made a huge difference

That sub is a no go anyway... I don’t fancy someat 4 years old and I really want a white sub to match all my new stuff that’s coming tomorow...

excited to get all my new gear plugged in until my QA sub kicks in🤣

Attachments

• 79C02D73-BA8C-4D1C-BAC4-D8F426AC09BD.jpeg
    79C02D73-BA8C-4D1C-BAC4-D8F426AC09BD.jpeg
    485.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 5171F7F6-F398-4D7A-B7F8-5477D89E91D1.jpeg
    5171F7F6-F398-4D7A-B7F8-5477D89E91D1.jpeg
    601 KB · Views: 87
  • 5436E129-1B38-44E1-8103-8D347C60916F.jpeg
    5436E129-1B38-44E1-8103-8D347C60916F.jpeg
    526 KB · Views: 166
Four years isn't that old for a sub, and it's still a current model that's sold today. Sub tech doesn't move that quickly.

If anyone tells you not to have a sub in a flat, don't listen to them, I live in 2nd floor flat with 2 floors of car park below and it's fiiiiinnneee! My 1st neighbor expressed concern once but he's since moved out :)

Wayne get the Monolith or the P12-PR over XXLS400! 480£ / 485£ + shipping, white finish with white mask!

@John24ssj swapped that same QA sub to XXLS400 and was bit underwhelmed. Sure it sounds cleaner and better, but the fun part was missing. Your room didn´t look small either what i remember so get the biggest you can and don´t look back!

If anyone tells you not to have a sub in a flat, don't listen to them, I live in 2nd floor flat with 2 floors of car park below and it's fiiiiinnneee! My 1st neighbor expressed concern once but he's since moved out :)

I live in a ground floor flat 😊
I can’t decide which would be better for me subwoofer wise... FF or DF type?
Whatever I get it’s gotta be white 🤪

I listen to a lot of music and also watch movies

see pics of my room

Attachments

• F22D088B-1DC7-4014-A49F-09339753FB02.jpeg
    F22D088B-1DC7-4014-A49F-09339753FB02.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 168
Bk subs are a bit basic on features, lacking what the svs ultra features, you may not use them but I have in the past, room compensation and high pass.

Also bk do seem to have issues with humming/buzzing amps, and also similar issue with crossover at certain position it buzzes.

I do like their finishes though, and very good value for money. I would like them to produce higher end subs ie £1000-£1500 and switch to class d. I don't think class ab for subs is worth it,and certainly expensive getting 1kw class ab is.

I doubt you need subwoofer for music with the new big towers (dual 8"s). :) Your room opened to another space also to where that pic is taken if i remember correct..

If you can fit white Monolith then go for it! Which ever dimensions suits better, dont overthink the DF/FF otherwise.

FF Dimensions: 560D X 540H x 420W
DF Dimensions: 420D X 604H x 540W

Using common sense with the sub in apartment you will be fine and you can always turn it down.

While you might not need a sub with music, using one will lift the load on the mains and the amp which should result in a cleaner, clearer sound overall, as long as the sub's integrated.

Isn't SVS PEQ quite limited? The Denon has Audyssey so integration and EQ will be taken care of. Could it be better, almost certainly yes, but it'll be fine for the most part with large modes taken care of.

And I agree with @Gasp3621, FF or DF probably won't make much difference. The bass is coming out of your flat regardless! FF gives you slightly more placement options as you can rotate the sub which will give a marginally different response.

I have 300w amps into 4ohm so not a problem, and for hifi its full range, with no sub.
I didn't use the svs own peq as no measuring equipment, but I guess good if you want sub only eq... If a way to switch on and off through signal.

But other features of the svs i did use, like high pass (ultra have variable setting here, and slope) and room compensation.

It's really not about power, it's about what you're asking the speaker to do. Asking it play fewer frequencies at once means that it'll be easier for it to play the remainder.

Sharing the load across two amps can lead to an improvement too. I have more than enough power and speakers capable of <38Hz. They still sound better with subs.

Plus that's what you have, not what the OP has. The Denon and the MA speakers would likely benefit from the addition of a sub for music.

I have 300w amps into 4ohm so not a problem, and for hifi its full range, with no sub.
I didn't use the svs own peq as no measuring equipment, but I guess good if you want sub only eq... If a way to switch on and off through signal.

But other features of the svs i did use, like high pass (ultra have variable setting here, and slope) and room compensation.

My current equipment is this at the moment guys

LIVING ROOM SETUP
Panasonic TX-55CX802 Television
Amazon Fire TV Cube
Denon AVR-X2200W
Van Damme Hi Fi Speaker Cables
Monitor Audio Bronze 500 Floorstanders
(For Main front speakers)
Monitor Audio Bronze C150 Centre Speaker
Monitor Audio Bronze 50’s on stands
(For rear surrounds)
Q Acoustics 3070S Subwoofer
Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature CD Player
Pioneer BDP-180 Blu Ray Player
Sony PS4 Pro

BEDROOM SETUP
Sony KD-55XF9005 Television
Yamaha YAS-103 Soundbar
Panasonic DMP-BDT380EB Blu Ray Player
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K

Obviously when everything arrives tomorrow I’ll run Audyssey on my Denon 👍🏻
Bronze 500’s will be set as SMALL in the settings

Shame I don’t have a nice new sub to finish my nice new Bronzes 🤦‍♂️ Just can’t afford at mo

If you're not running a sub the Denon probably won't allow you to set the mains as small, which is fine. You don't want that without a sub. Doing that could discard the LFE and would attempt to remove anything below the crossover, but with no sub to cross over to.

If you're not running a sub the Denon probably won't allow you to set the mains as small, which is fine. You don't want that without a sub. Doing that could discard the LFE and would attempt to remove anything below the crossover, but with no sub to cross over to.

im running a sub still; my crappy QA 3070S mate 🤣

Those features I listed are useful for pure two channel hifi. No avr, no bass management.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom