Changed from Sky to BT upstairs TV not working

bluebell8111

Novice Member
Reaction score
Evening.
My husband decided to change from sky to BT to save money, but the issues it has caused with the upstairs TV not working is a nightmare.

So any help would be great please.

The main aerial is plugged in the BT box in the in socket, I then connected the cable from the upstairs TV into the out socket in back of BT box, the upstairs TV has channels appear when I tune the tv, but that's it the channels just don't work, what have I done wrong or missing.

Thanks

If you have connected the aerial to BTBox aerial in and the local TV can see all the channels via the box that is great. To enable the TV upstairs you should connect an aerial cable from the aerial out on the BTbox to the aerial in on the second TV, once tuned that should be it.
Does the TV downstairs work OK first.

If you have connected the aerial to BTBox aerial in and the local TV can see all the channels via the box that is great. To enable the TV upstairs you should connect an aerial cable from the aerial out on the BTbox to the aerial in on the second TV, once tuned that should be it.
Does the TV downstairs work OK first.
Yes TV downstairs works fine, just the upstairs TV being the issue, I tuned the upstairs TV all the channels listed, but when I go to watch any channels the channel is not there, keeps saying not available

Why your Bush TV fails to show channels is strange. I assume the Bush TV had a built in Freeview tuner.

When it is tuning in I assume it says it has nearly or greater than 100 channels tuned.

Maybe the upstairs tv tuned to two transmitters and the usable channels have numbers above 800. if that is the case you will need to establish which transmitter you need to use and use manual tuning to get it.

Why your Bush TV fails to show channels is strange. I assume the Bush TV had a built in Freeview tuner.
Yes TV has built in freeview, this morning I tuned the TV again and it's doesn't come up with any channels, I am guessing it's because the BT box downstairs in off/standby mode

Try this, temporarily:

Remove BOTH aerial cables from the back of the BT box and connect the two ends together. Then see what the upstairs TV will or won't do.

The two cables should ordinarily mate - the one from the aerial (roof) will have a plug and the other (going to the TV) should have a socket.

So doing will identify (or not) the BT Box as blocking or attenuating the freeview signal.

Try this, temporarily:

Remove BOTH aerial cables from the back of the BT box and connect the two ends together. Then see what the upstairs TV will or won't do.

The two cables should ordinarily mate - the one from the aerial (roof) will have a plug and the other (going to the TV) should have a socket.

So doing will identify (or not) the BT Box as blocking or attenuating the freeview signal.
Ok, the cables do not mate, both cables have a plug I have had to put a socket adaptor to make them connect, which I have done but again the TV upstairs when I tune in the channels show on the list but still cannot watch.

Put the $ky box back in the circuit for the aerial system.

Aerial -> $ky RF IN --- RF2 out ->upstairs
Does it then work OK?
You can feed the BT box via RF1 out (temporarily at least) as well.

My suspicion is that there's an amplifier involved fed by the RF2 out 'magic eye' 9V supply that the BT box doesn't have; nor will the aerial-upstairs signal work without it.

Are there any such amplifier boxes involved (in the loft)? Make and model number will help, if so.

{NB the BT box will eventually need to have its super eco mode disabled (aka power saving in standby) as that, by default, turns off the RF out from the box in standby. But that's a different issue.}

Put the $ky box back in the circuit for the aerial system.

Aerial -> $ky RF IN --- RF2 out ->upstairs
Does it then work OK?
You can feed the BT box via RF1 out (temporarily at least) as well.

My suspicion is that there's an amplifier involved fed by the RF2 out 'magic eye' 9V supply that the BT box doesn't have; nor will the aerial-upstairs signal work without it.

Are there any such amplifier boxes involved (in the loft)? Make and model number will help, if so.

{NB the BT box will eventually need to have its super eco mode disabled (aka power saving in standby) as that, by default, turns off the RF out from the box in standby. But that's a different issue.}
There was a triax link box thing connected in the sky box

There was a triax link box thing connected in the sky box
You sure it's Triax branded? Some of the other 'SkyLink' boxes by Labgear, Philex, Gloabal and tvLINK, could be fed from the RF2 out 9V dc supply up the coaxial cable. Not sure the Triax equivalent could be (but I stand to be corrected)?

Anyway it does sound like my guess was right and you need a power supply for that box to work. Most have a DC input socket, but you can get (or make) power injectors, too.
If you're luck it may have come with a power unit and is in a box somewhere, if a mains socket is available where the amp is located (most likely the loft)?

You sure it's Triax branded? Some of the other 'SkyLink' boxes by Labgear, Philex, Gloabal and tvLINK, could be fed from the RF2 out 9V dc supply up the coaxial cable. Not sure the Triax equivalent could be (but I stand to be corrected)?

Anyway it does sound like my guess was right and you need a power supply for that box to work. Most have a DC input socket, but you can get (or make) power injectors, too.
If you're luck it may have come with a power unit and is in a box somewhere, if a mains socket is available where the amp is located (most likely the loft)?
Cannot get the TV upstairs working, and I am getting fed up with it now 3 days I have been trying to sort, maybe best to get someone in to sort it.

Below is a picture of the sky box and the Triax box thing, it wasn't plugged in to any mains, we don't have a plug for it either.

I guess the brown/black cable is the mains and the white cable is the TV upstairs.

We don't have any kind of box in the loft.

Attachments

• 20200812_133352.jpg
    20200812_133352.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 93
That is this beast TRIAX - TRIAX Link - 370419 its a $ky HD+ box analogue TV modulator and is powered from the $ky box IO power source (the black cable).

It does have an amplifier (5dB gain) built in and it may be that the cable run and aerial system you have is borderline so you need that amplification replicating with another device. BUT first:

The $ky modulator was analogue.
With the $ky box working: Did you have Freeview on the Bush on the DTV mode as well as the $ky channel on ATV? (The model number of the Bush TV could be relevant. It might be an old analogue only set?)

Bring the Bush down and connect direct to the aerial incoming. Does it work then for Freeview?

Last edited:
If the TV was getting an analogue feed from the old setup, it could be that, though it is scanning the digital Freeview channels, you are still trying to receive an analogue signal and to watch Freeview you need to select digital rather than analogue for reception.

How you do that depends on the design of the TV and you would need to consult the manual if you have it or can find it online.

Last edited:
That is this beast TRIAX - TRIAX Link - 370419 its a $ky HD+ box analogue TV modulator and is powered from the $ky box IO power source (the black cable).

It does have an amplifier (5dB gain) built in and it may be that the cable run and aerial system you have is borderline so you need that amplification replicating with another device. BUT first:

The $ky modulator was analogue.
With the $ky box working: Did you have Freeview on the Bush on the DTV mode as well as the $ky channel on ATV? (The model number of the Bush TV could be relevant. It might be an old analogue only set?)

Bring the Bush down and connect direct to the aerial incoming. Does it work then for Freeview?
yes we had Freeview on the Bush TV, as for Sky it was a very poor signal on the TV so didn't show it.
The model of the TV is LED24265DVDCNTD.

Will have to wait for hubby to get home to help move TV as screwed to the wall.

Access the signal strength and quality metering on the BT box before anything. Post numbers.
Do the same on the main TV when connected to the aerial direct (with make and model).
Then the same on the Bush.
(Quite a lot of work but it will aid diagnosis in the long run).

As Freeview worked, it is likely $kY was poor because it was on the wrong transmit frequency for your area and had 'noise' from one of the digital multiplexes.
Do go over the cables and sockets in bedroom and the one feeding up to it - a stray whisker of outer close to or touching the inner core can kill the signal. Moving cables around can cause poor connections (I have the T-shirt!) even when you think they look good.

Brainwave Alert!
The Triax box can be disconnected from the $ky unit.
It has a DC input socket on it for this power supply unit TRIAX - Link PSU - 370418 They are around £15 though. You may have a suitable power supply from an old router, modem or external HDD that will fit to get it back in circuit to prove it will work the Freeview upstairs? (Check it's 12V DC, correct centre pin +ve, and rated around the needed 200mA max.)

Usual caveats regarding at your own risk etc.,. ;)

EDIT Or connect the $ky box to mains and the aerial via the IO link RF2 to bedroom and RF1 to the BT box to see if the bedroom TV comes good.

For the same sort of money you can buy 2-way set back variable gain amplifiers from SLX (spit). But I'm suspicious of a cabling fault that, resolved, might fix things with no amplification.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom