Question Cheapest 4K Receiver

The audio signature would be different to that associated with a DEnon model, but I'd still suggest it more preferable than the DEnon signature, especially relative to music sources. If worried by this then you should go audition or at least get to hear one before making your mind up.
Yamaha receivers tend to sound more biased towrads the upper end while Denon receiver can sound a little flat and unexciting in comparison.

thanks yes, I tried to see if anywhere near me had some in stock to demo but sadly none. (Richersounds near me can only order one for me).

Thanks for all your help on this. I will mull over it for the rest of the day and most likley end up with the Yamaha

Yes, the receiver can passthrough 3D formatted video.

Any and all current receivers would allow this. Any AV receiver inclusive of HDMI version 1.4 or higher will have this ability.

Why do you want a 4K receiver if not using a 4K display? 4K UHD displays don't also include support for 3D and 4K content isn't encoded with 3D because of the bandwidth needed to convey such video. 3D basically died with the advent of 4K.

Last edited:
Hi,

Finally bought it. Went for the yamaha 585 - although the guy at richer sounds was trying really hard for me to spend an extra £50 for the onkyo 686.

I'm just setting it up now and I was wondering if you could help me with connecting my sub. It's an old active sub and I've always used speaker cables. The new amp only allows pin cables and wondered if these have to be a special cable or can another cables work like rca?

Also, which sockets should I use on the sub?

Attachments

• 20191129_175835.jpg
    20191129_175835.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • 20191129_175800.jpg
    20191129_175800.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
Connect the AV receiver's SUBWOOFER PRE OUT 1 output to the subwoofer's right RCA low level line input using a single RCA terminated cable.

Prior to running the receiver's YPAO calibration, set the sub's own level dial to one third, its phase to 0° and sub cut-off frequency dial to its maximum 150Hz setting. Leave these unaltered post calibration.

Bypass the sub's auto power and leave it set so it is always on.

Connect the AV receiver's SUBWOOFER PRE OUT 1 output to the subwoofer's right RCA low level line input using a single RCA terminated cable.

Prior to running the receiver's YPAO calibration, set the sub's own level dial to one third, its phase to 0° and sub cut-off frequency dial to its maximum 150Hz setting. Leave these unaltered post calibration.

Bypass the sub's auto power and leave it set so it is always on.
Just to confirm, buy that cable, plug one to my of the sockets on the receiver and then the right (or red) socket on the sub input? Ive found a spare rca cable and have yested it which seems to work. (Connected both L and R on the sub and just the right/red to the receiver.

Thanks for that, I was just reading that step in the manual and they mention setting the sub volume half and the crossover max. I assume this is the same as cut off frequency

You only need a single connection from one of the receiver's sub pre outs to the right (mono) line level input on the sub.

Setting the sub to half volume is more often than not too high, hence why I suggested it be set at one third. Yes, the cut off frequency filter is the same as the frequency filter.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom