Question Chromecast audio receiving Spotify and transmitting to wireless speakers

buckreeder

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can chromecast audio receive audio from spotify and transmit to wireless speakers at same time?

I haven't got any wireless speakers yet but I was wondering whether that would be possible?

My setup would be Spotify to Marantz amp using optical cable, then from the amp to the wireless speakers

Thanks,

Philip.

In short No. Do you your wireless speakers have an input socket that you could plug the CCA into? You would need one per speaker and use the multiroom grouping in the Google Home app. It always helps to answer questions if you state exactly what kit (model numbers etc) you are trying to use otherwise it leaves us guessing.

I haven't got wireless speakers yet, it's more of a preemptive question foe when I get some.

So I'll have to get CCAs for each wireless speaker I buy.

Thanks for your help!

I haven't got wireless speakers yet, it's more of a preemptive question foe when I get some.

So I'll have to get CCAs for each wireless speaker I buy.

Thanks for your help!
Using wireless speakers makes the Marantz redundant. This is because Wireless speakers must include amplifiers. As with all these questions, and while agreeing with Larkone, it all depends. Some wireless speakers use Bluetooth,as well as Wifi, Some amplifiers particularly well specified AVRs have Bluetooth transmitters.

As @dannnielll says, if CCA is your only source then the Marantz becomes redundant.

All you need is a pair of proper active speakers and two CCA's. By proper actives I mean two speakers with an amp in each not some of the so-called actives that have the amp in one and a link wire to the other. These proper actives are often classed as Studio Monitors.

I did a test doing just this - using the CCA analogue output and a 3.5mm to stereo RCA wire, connect the left output to one speaker and on the other CCA the right output to the other spekaer. You then log on to Google home, make a group and add the two CCA's. Then just play through the group. Works really well. Link below to original thread.

As for active speakers you can spend ÂŁ100-ÂŁ10000+ so if you have a budget, room size and listening habits then I am sure we will have suggestions (second hand is good for this market as the speakers tend to be built for professional use so rugged and professionals up date their kit often). I use Mackie HR824 Mk1's which are still quite musical and have a load of bass (250W amp power speaker) as an example and are available around ÂŁ300.

worth a watch

If your primary source is Spotify, you'd be better off looking for wireless speakers that support Spotify Connect ie. Sonos or similar.

If the speakers directly support Spotify Connect (and/or Bluetooth or Airplay) then the Marantz and the Chromecast are red-herrings and no longer required.

So there isn't any Bluetooth transmitter that could be added to the Marantz amp that would then send audio to wireless speakers and be better ie using the qualities of the amp, than just using wireless speakers and bypassing the amp?

Does your marantz have pre-out sockets? Model number ?

So there isn't any Bluetooth transmitter that could be added to the Marantz amp that would then send audio to wireless speakers and be better ie using the qualities of the amp, than just using wireless speakers and bypassing the amp?

You won't be using your amp, other than for switching sources, the wireless speaker will have their own amps. Also, if your only source is Spotify you'll be unnecessary routing everyone though the amp and then over Bluetooth which isn't ideal audio wise esp. if you can connect direct to the speakers via your Spotify app.

Obviously if you have other sources (turntable/cd etc.) plugged into the amp then it might be preferable, usability wise, to output everything to the speakers. In which case you could use a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the L&R pre-outs or optical out on the amp. But that's a) assuming your amp has such output connections and b) that whatever wireless speakers you buy support Bluetooth and more importantly that the L&R speakers can work together as a stereo Bluetooth pair (which isn't a given). It will also be, audio wise, a far from ideal setup

Also 'wireless speakers" are a bit of a misnomer. For a start, unless they are battery powered they will each need to be plugged into a mains socket. Secondly they tend to directly support protocols like DLNA/Spotify/AirPlay/BlueTooth rather than being designed to cut the cord (ie. speaker cables) between a traditional HiFi amp and speakers.

It's probably useful at this stage to clarify what sources you already have and what you actually need/want to play back to the wireless speakers. Also, what budget / kind of wireless speaker are you looking at?

Is there a reason you wanted wireless speakers rather than wired ones? If it's because you don't want to run speaker cables between your amp and speakers it's probably the wrong reason for getting them (as odd as that might first seem given the name). Most people use wireless speakers because they want to cut down on boxes and have a minimal streaming based setup, not because they don't want to run speaker cables.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
It's the pm6006 UK edition

You'd connect a Bluetooth transmitter to these RCA outputs, but I really would consider the wisdom of doing that unless running a couple of speaker cables is totally out of the question ie. your amp is in a separate room to the speakers.

If you don't have a turntable or CD player then you might as well sell the Marantz and just stream direct to the (new) wireless speakers from the Spotify app on your phone/computer. Less boxes and better audio quality.

Screenshot 2020-03-30 at 18.47.20.png

I've got a turntable (Denon 200USB) but all your posts have given me food for thought. Thanks everyone!

If you don't have a turntable or CD player then you might as well sell the Marantz and just stream direct to the (new) wireless speakers from the Spotify app on your phone/computer. Less boxes and better audio quality.
Indeed, though actually one less box is used in the chain as far as the Spotify track streams are concerned - they'll be coming directly from Spotify's online server to the Chromecast or Spotify Connect and not via the Spotify app on the phone/computer which would just be used for control.

Yes the world is awash with Bluetooth transmitters . But No, they improve nothing. ..All they do in your situation is increase complexity.. digital signal from Spotify, gets DACed in the Chromecast, then amplified as Analogue in the Amplifier, then all that amplification is ignored and is re digitised in a blue tooth transmitter ADCed , then sent as a wireless signal , then DACed again in the Wireless speaker and finally amplified again and drives speakers .. oh and the Bluetooth transmission will have less bandwidth than the original Chome cast

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom