chromecast audio vers squeezebox touch?

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi al.

got a quad artera solus heading my way....as i've down scaled my set up quite a bit and was looking for a all in one (almost) 2 :1 stereo for music/tv......

i've already have a squeezebox touch which i had planned to use for streaming wirelessly from my pc like i've been doing for few years now....just started using amazon music...which the squeezebox does'nt support...though i think theres third party spotify support

......on the whole its been pretty reliable sometimes needs the odd reboot either one end or the other in order to start seeing my music library.

wondered how the chromecast competes with it...or it it brings something to the table the touch does'nt...especially with using a mobile with it for control..or is at least as good...thought at least it could be easily hid out the way.

also the quad has a decent dac in it so i'm assuming they'd be more benefit using the optical out in the touch

probably answering my own question and stick with the touch?

Not suggesting you shouldn't stick with the touch, but you can actually use the Chromecast Audio as a Squeezebox device, if you install the Chromecast bridge 3rd party LMS plugin. Plus, the Chromecast Audio also has an optical audio output.

Thanks ....yeah I think I remember seeing that somewhere

Got a 3 months for 99p deal a while ago for Amazon music...which I've quite used to liking

......shame both devices don't support it !

Should still be able to Bluetooth it from my phone to the quad I believe

Got a 3 months for 99p deal a while ago for Amazon music...which I've quite used to liking

Well you could switch to Tidal's 4 months for £4 deal (...not that that is much use if you want to continue with it once the 4 months is up)

If your PC running LMS is a Windows machine and you're ok with using Amazon Music's app on the PC, rather than from their app your phone, you can then get its audio output captured by the Wave Input 3rd party LMS plugin and streamed by Squeezebox devices.

The audio quality will be better than using Bluetooth, especially if you use a bit perfect virtual audio device like the free VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable as the go between and set in exclusive mode from the Amazon Music desktop app. However, bear in mind that the audio capture process does delay the audio arriving at the Squeezebox by a few seconds, so don't expect it to respond immediately to whatever you're doing on the Amazon Music app.

Last edited:
If your PC running LMS is a Windows machine and you're ok with using Amazon Music's app on the PC, rather than from their app your phone, you can then get its audio output captured by the Wave Input 3rd party LMS plugin and streamed by Squeezebox devices.

The audio quality will be better than using Bluetooth, especially if you use a bit perfect virtual audio device like the free VB-Audio Hi-Fi Cable as the go between and set in exclusive mode from the Amazon Music desktop app. However, bear in mind that the audio capture process does delay the audio arriving at the Squeezebox by a few seconds, so don't expect it to respond immediately to whatever you're doing on the Amazon Music app.

Thanks ..that's good to know ...will have to look into that later...

One thing that annoys me with the Amazon mobile app is if you use Amazon music on a firestick ...it can only be controlled on the TV using the firestick remote...the mobile app won't control it ..or bring up the firestick up in 'devices' on the app....

which i can't understand as they are all Amazon products!

Means some features seem to missing when adding to playlists etc

All started when my daughter bought me an echo dot for Xmas...and that must be the only modern device on the planet that only outputs mono when connected to an amp !

The echo dot definitely outputs stereo when using the jack on the back. I've read a couple of posts that day the jack needs pushing in really hard to connect properly other wise only one channel is connected hence appearing to be a mono device.

oh.....

must admit my best interconnect for it would'nt fit so i used a cheapy

pretty sure i google it at the time and a lot of people were complaining about not getting stereo....they might have had the same issue

...pretty sure amazon replied that it was mono only to someone...but then again they're probably no the best informed people out there!

will have to try again or get hold of another cable

cheers

must admit for a little cheap device on its own it sounds a lot better than you'd think

It's been a while since I last owned a Dot but from memory the socket was recessed and also very tight fitting. The jack initially felt like it was seated properly but actually wasn't.

I used to have both a Dot and a Google mini while I was deciding to keep both or go all in on one system, Google won and I now have too many Google devices to remember off the top of my head.

Well retried it with a couple of different cables...all fully pushed in ....still only mono output through one speaker..

Been having a good couple of days with the touch through my new quad system ..sounds great....do like being able to see album art and control stuff via a remote instead of using a phone ...though I have got the touch app which is pretty good...

But as I can see the screen from the sofa I don't use it that much...plus for some reason the only way I can get rid of the app on screen when I've finished is to reboot the phone .

Not sure what I was thinking I would achieve by swapping the touch 🙄

Anyway could always try one ..keep it as a spare or for another room.

Try headphones on the Dot to verify that it's outputting correctly. I have one hooked up to my Arcam SR250 for Internet radio & it definitely outputs stereo. If you only get mono with headphones maybe the jack is faulty.

For the Touch on mobile try enabling the Material Skin plugin in LMS & then navigate to your server IP & port as you would to access the web interface, but add /material/mobile to the address.

TBH if you haven't already upgrade your LMS to the latest and enable the material skin. The web interface on a mobile browser is just as good as most apps. I've got paid for versions of both Orange Squeeze and Squeeze Control available but I've been happy using the browser exclusively these days. You even get a notifications now playing banner and lock screen music too.

Thanks..

Yeah I did try headphones when I first got it...will have to try again

when I said the touch app......i meant squeeze commander.

It does work well.

When I was looking at various streamers it looks like many people complain about the control apps ....never had a problem with squeeze commander.....other than not been able to clear the little window left on my android phone screen that says it being used with out a phone reboot...which is no big deal I suppose

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom