Chromecast to Screen - Audio beeps - HDMI box Audio Output.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to connect a Chromecast to the HDMI port on a 24" computer monitor.
This worked fine, but the monitor has no audio out.

My solution was to buy a small box which has a HDMI passthru and Audio output to feed some speakers:
So I bought this:

And it works perfect (almost)
663ea45db1365165de50d427ed8129b1.png

My setup is as shown above.
Chromecast in, HDMI out, and 3.5mm out to some computer speakers.

The only 1 problem is, you can hear the chromecast "doing something" thru the speakers.
When I say "doing something" I mean, like when I was 1st setting it up, and it was going thru the setup process you could hear some quiet series of interference? beeps.

Now it's all set up. Every 8 seconds, whether there is something being cast to it, or even if it's just rolling thru background wallpaper, you hear this same sound.

Here is a recording I made: Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

It's pretty quiet, but it should not be there of course.

So, here is what I have tried to fix it or rather find the reason for this:

I replaced the Chromecast with a PS3 console to see if I got the same 8 second repeating sound.
No, it was perfect.

I thought perhaps it may have been a chromecast issue, (gen 2 chromecast) so I bought a brand new gen3 chromecast.
Nope, it was almost exactly the same. fractionally different beeps, but almost identical and repeating the same.

I did buy a different brand of the above HDMI-Audio splitter box, but for reasons I won't go into, I still prefer this one.
And this other box is totally silent.

My only other thought is perhaps interference coming from the chromecast, perhaps as it's so close to this HDMI box.
So I've just ordered a 10ft Male-Female HDMI cable.

Or it could just be that these two items don't like each other.

I'd welcome any thoughts you might have regarding this.
Anything I've not thought of.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
No advice..... :(
Will admit it was a long shot given the facts.

I contacted the makers and they said, perhaps faulty power supply and to try another, which I did and it made no difference.
I also ordered a 10ft HDMI male-female lead to move the Chromecast well away from this box as I thought may just be electrical interference, but that did not help either.

They are very helpful with customer service and are sending me a free replacement.
Honestly I have a gut feeling it won't help, it's just for some reason there is some incompatibility, but I hope I'm proven wrong.

In the meantime I purchased another version of the same type of device by a different company and that does not have this issue, but the volume level was a fraction lower.

As It seemed like there were variations I took the plunge and have ordered two more different ones which I'll try tomorrow.

Oh the joys of something to think it's going to be simple, turning into a pain.....
All be fixed soon one way or another :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom