Classic Doctor Who on DVD

I might consider buying it when it's dropped below £15 by the end of next year
I think that unlike the dvd's this release will be one that goes OOP quite quickly unless its a storming success and paves the way for more Blurays.
The optimistic members of Bluray.com are talking as if its a given and they even expect Colin Baker, McCoy and Hartnell Bluray releases. Yeah right!!
The team that put this together admit that the BBC told them to get lost in 2014 with regards to putting SD on Bluray and I suspect that beyond perhaps one more Baker and maybe some Pertwee this Bluray series won't last in the long term.
For US viewers there will be benefits of improved picture quality that the UK won't see as much so I think its selling for the bonus features and I can't see them being able to put together such an impressive package for every season.

I think that unlike the dvd's this release will be one that goes OOP quite quickly unless its a storming success and paves the way for more Blurays.
The optimistic members of Bluray.com are talking as if its a given and they even expect Colin Baker, McCoy and Hartnell Bluray releases. Yeah right!!
The team that put this together admit that the BBC told them to get lost in 2014 with regards to putting SD on Bluray and I suspect that beyond perhaps one more Baker and maybe some Pertwee this Bluray series won't last in the long term.
For US viewers there will be benefits of improved picture quality that the UK won't see as much so I think its selling for the bonus features and I can't see them being able to put together such an impressive package for every season.

Pretty much agree with this. Especially in the US. I just don't see them putting out every season especially the Hartnell and Troughton years as they are both missing so many episodes. I have no intention of buying the whole classic range again. Especially Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy. I will buy all of Tom's and maybe Jon Pertwee's and Peter Davison's. Grab them while you can and don't complain when they show up on eBay with big price mark ups when they go out of print.

I know there's a limited edition with special packaging. That'll be my weakness if it turns up in HMV on Monday and I like it. I'll probably just have to buy it. That version will likely sell out quickly but I'm not so sure about the standard release.

Bri

I rarely watch the extras. The one notable exception being classic Dr Who. :D I'm not keen on buying something I know will be faulty. I'll only consider it if it a replacement scheme is put into place and/the price comes down quite a bit.

Bri

I've been following this on Gallifrey Base, and it seems as though a replacement disc may be in consideration. Here following is a reply copied from Gallifrey Base regarding someone's query regarding the faulty audio on that one episode.

"Thank you for your email and for the information! I heard some similar comments yesterday and have alerted the DVD team to this. I believe they are working on fixing any issues and issuing replacement discs. As soon as I hear any more information on this I will certainly let you know!
Many apologies for this inconvenience. Please reach out to me with any further questions.
Best Regards,
Corin"

I've been following this on Gallifrey Base, and it seems as though a replacement disc may be in consideration. Here following is a reply copied from Gallifrey Base regarding someone's query regarding the faulty audio on that one episode.

"Thank you for your email and for the information! I heard some similar comments yesterday and have alerted the DVD team to this. I believe they are working on fixing any issues and issuing replacement discs. As soon as I hear any more information on this I will certainly let you know!
Many apologies for this inconvenience. Please reach out to me with any further questions.
Best Regards,
Corin"

It sounds like their giving it serious consideration. A pity it wasn't picked up sooner.

Bri

It sounds like their giving it serious consideration. A pity it wasn't picked up sooner.

Bri

Yes. The people that put Doctor Who Magazine do a wonderful job putting out articles to keep up interest in the programme new and old, and I feel almost embarrassed to mention it, but why wasn't something like this mentioned in the review of this release in the latest magazine? It's not really a review, is it?

Yes. The people that put Doctor Who Magazine do a wonderful job putting out articles to keep up interest in the programme new and old, and I feel almost embarrassed to mention it, but why wasn't something like this mentioned in the review of this release in the latest magazine? It's not really a review, is it?

I haven't read that review but it's not that unusal for some magazines to review a disc that they haven't actually seen. SFX used to review DVDs and blus. Any disc faults weren't mentioned because they hadn't seen them. Their review was based on a previous viewing of the film.

Bri

I know there's a limited edition with special packaging. That'll be my weakness if it turns up in HMV on Monday and I like it. I'll probably just have to buy it. That version will likely sell out quickly but I'm not so sure about the standard release.

Bri
Unless it sells like hotcakes I do wonder if the LE version will be the one and only version and the standard edition never appears.
I'm getting it for the extras alone. A dvd quality recording of The Tom Baker Years along with the new one hour interview was enough for me to order it for £39.99.
It's over £48 now on Amazon

The Bluray set is down for delivery from Amazon tomorrow.
The subtitling error on Revenge of the Cybermen won't bother me, although the audio error on Sontaran Experiment Part 1 sounds like it could be a problem for a lot of people but they have no plans to replace.
I'm sure the reported glitches with the seamless branching are player specific.
But it's not the promised complete collection of bonus features from the dvd's as a documentary on Genesis of the Daleks is missing and apparently is to be included on a future season set so they must be optimistic

The Bluray set is down for delivery from Amazon tomorrow.
The subtitling error on Revenge of the Cybermen won't bother me, although the audio error on Sontaran Experiment Part 1 sounds like it could be a problem for a lot of people but they have no plans to replace.
I'm sure the reported glitches with the seamless branching are player specific.
But it's not the promised complete collection of bonus features from the dvd's as a documentary on Genesis of the Daleks is missing and apparently is to be included on a future season set so they must be optimistic

I haven't heard anything about the seamless branching issues.

Bri

I haven't heard anything about the seamless branching issues.

Bri
On Roobarbs someone is having playback problems at every instance in and out of new effects. As I said I think its his player as others report no problems.
Bit annoying about the missing documentary given that the listing begins with a mention of including all previous dvd bonus features.

The audio error is getting a soft ride on Roobarb with only one or two concerned about it but I suspect anyone with a surround setup will be listening to all the audio from the rear speakers only which is a bit of a disaster

Earlier on I watched the first episode of The Happiness Patrol from my complete McCoy German set. It looked pretty damn good on my new 4K gear. Sylvester is pretty good but overall it's as bad as I remember.

Bri

On Roobarbs someone is having playback problems at every instance in and out of new effects. As I said I think its his player as others report no problems.
Bit annoying about the missing documentary given that the listing begins with a mention of including all previous dvd bonus features.

The audio error is getting a soft ride on Roobarb with only one or two concerned about it but I suspect anyone with a surround setup will be listening to all the audio from the rear speakers only which is a bit of a disaster

Do you know what player he's having the problems with?

I have a surround setup so that sounds like it could be a big issue.

Bri

Do you know what player he's having the problems with?

I have a surround setup so that sounds like it could be a big issue.

Bri
Not sure which player the guy is having problems with on the seamless branching.
The audio issue is only Sontaran Experiment Part 1.
The audio is out of phase, so stereo audio out of phase on a mono soundtrack is a bit of an error but there sounds like there is no intention to issue replacements. One of the guys who worked on the set claims the QC was done by an outside facility but had he done it himself the audio error is something he doesn't think he would have noticed. Amazing

Not sure which player the guy is having problems with on the seamless branching.
The audio issue is only Sontaran Experiment Part 1.
The audio is out of phase, so stereo audio out of phase on a mono soundtrack is a bit of an error but there sounds like there is no intention to issue replacements. One of the guys who worked on the set claims the QC was done by an outside facility but had he done it himself the audio error is something he doesn't think he would have noticed. Amazing

As you say amazing! In the worst possible way.

Bri

As you say amazing! In the worst possible way.

Bri
I don't have the set yet but it sounds like the only way you won't notice the error is if you watch via tv speakers only.
I don't know any stats but I assumed that most people who spend £40-£50 on boxsets would be the same people who have surround setups and they're the ones who will hear the problem.

I can't find any Who stuff on Roobarbs. I've looked in various categories and used their search engine to no avail.

Bri

I've just found a site at which the audio fault is being discussed. One guy says this.

"Yes the left audio is out of sync however it’s more noticeable with soround speakers. If you use normal built in speakers to your tv its less noticeable. It sounds tinny but is still very listenable. To be honest if I didn’t know about the issue I wouldn’t have noticed. Hopefully replacement discs will be made."

So it is noticeable on "normal" speakers but will be worse on "abnormal" surround speakers.

Bri

I didn't notice until someone complained about it. Mostly just noticed the opening theme music seemed like it was stereo.

I can't find any Who stuff on Roobarbs. I've looked in various categories and used their search engine to no avail.

Bri
You have to log in to access the Dr Who forum on Roobarbs. No idea why.

Mine arrived today but I've yet to open it.

Last edited:
You have to log in to access the Dr Who forum on Roobarbs. No idea why.

Mine arrived today but I've yet to open it.

Cheers. I registered and now have access to their Dr Who content. They're supposed to have sent me an email that will allow me to post as well but there's no sign of it yet.

Bri

Cheers. I registered and now have access to their Dr Who content. They're supposed to have sent me an email that will allow me to post as well but there's no sign of it yet.

Bri
Don't be surprised if that email takes forever to arrive

Don't be surprised if that email takes forever to arrive

I've been looking at some of the posts about the audio fault. I'm absolutely astonished at the attitudes of some of the posters. There's a lot of "I'm not bothered about it and the overall package is excellent. Just put up with it." Regardless of whether they're bothered it is a fault and shouldn't have got out like that. They certainly shouldn't be having a go at those who are bothered. From what I can gather the sound is played on the rear speakers. That will most certainly bother me. I had a Champions DVD that did that and it was terrible.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom