Coaxial Cable vs Optical

deans6571

Prominent Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi!

Really quick question.....

Have just bought a JVC TH W513 Sounbar and want to connect this to my 50” Samsung MU6120 TV but wondering whether to connect this via the included coaxial cable or use an optical cable which I have?

Are there any noticeable differences between these connections?

None at all. They will both carry PCM 5.1 - which is all your sound bar will need :)

None at all. They will both carry PCM 5.1 - which is all your sound bar will need :)

.....so both will do the same job then? If that’s the case, I may switch to the coaxial cable as the tv will also switch on the soundbar when connected this way whereas with the optical, the tv doesn’t switch on the sound bar.

Last edited:
Don't think your MU6130 has Digital Coax, only Optical out as far as I'm aware.
It's HDMI CEC that does the auto-switching...are you maybe getting confused between HDMI and Coax?

...yea you're right - my Samsung doesn't have a Digital Coax - my mistake. :rolleyes: Have kept it connected via Optical.

One other weird issue I am getting though - my soundbar volume seems to fluctuate, even when the volume is not highered or lowered from the remote, even on the same channels and programs?!

At first, I thought it was to do with my TV's audio output being set to BitStream so I changed it to PCM , but it's still doing it?!

Is there an reason for this - would a different connection to the TV sold this?

Last edited:
The volume shouldn't fluctuate other than it's sometimes noticeably different between programmes and adverts or channels.
The method of connection shouldn't affect it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom