Question Combi Gaming (SIM) and Virtualisation PC

bbasra

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I hope you're well. I'm looking into the purchase of a new PC to use for Gaming (SIM) and Virtualisation. I'll be primarily looking to play F1 2020 and be spinning up several VM's using Hyper-V\VMWare Workstation to test\evaluate software.

The last PC I built was an overclocked Intel Q6600 so am little out of date!

What do you think of the following Spec:
  • Corsair Crystal 570X - Black
  • ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
  • Intel Core i9 10900K, Comet Lake, 10 Cores, 20 Threads, 3.7GHz Base, 5.3GHz Turbo
  • Corsair Hydro H100x - 240mm Liquid Cooler
  • 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3000MHz
  • 8GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER KO GAMING, 2560 Cores, 1770MHz Boost, 14000MHz GDDR6 - GeForce RTX VR Ready
  • Corsair RM1000x, Modular, Silent, 80PLUS Gold - Dual GPU
  • 1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS NVMe PCIe 3.0, 3500MB/s Read, 3300MB/s Write, 600K IOPS
  • 120mm Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB PRO x3 FAN's
  • Addressable RGB Lighting
  • Windows 10 Pro
I also own a Macbook Pro 2.9 GHz Core i9 6-core \ 32GB RAM \ Radeon Pro Vega 20 Graphics \ 2TB SSD - Anyone played F1 on Macbook Pro with Bootcamp or parallels gaming mode? It seems a bit of a waste!

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to your thoughts.

I know little about Virtualisation but, unless it is something Intel does well, why not a Ryzen 3900X (or XT)?

You should very much be looking at AMD now and not intel, especially for multi-core tasks and threads. For 10900K money you can get the 3950. Intel simply do not have an answer for AMD at the moment.

if you are in no immediate rush id wait till September before buying. The next gen CPUs are due and whether you opt for those or not, it will mean costs can be saved on the current generation.

Thanks for the replies - I'll take a look at the AMD offering(s) as that may also bring down the cost.

The background is I want to place an order with Fanatec for the CSL Elite Wheel Base, V2 Clubsport Wheel, and V3 Pedals but is not confirmed whether this will be compatible with the PS5 (I already have a PS4). Rather than worrying and forking out on something that may not work later, I’ve decided on upgrading the wheelbase to a Clubsport v2.5 (metal vs plastic) and building a gaming PC.

ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2
ClubSport Pedals V3
ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5

I'm happy to wait and get a used Xbox One X to Play F1 2020 and order the above…. Who knows, it may please me and don’t need to spend £2k+ on a Gaming PC :)

Now that Fanatec has confirmed PS5 compatibility, I have ordered the following:

Podium Racing Wheel F1®
ClubSport Pedals V3

I have also revised the PC spec:

CPUAMD Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU CoolerCORSAIR Hydro H100i Addressable RGB PLATINUM Liquid/Water Intel/AMD CPU Cooler
Graphics CardNvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super
MemoryCorsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 64GB 3600MHz 2x32GB DDR4 Memory Kit
MotherboardASUS X570-E Gaming ROG STRIX X570 E AM4 PCIe 4.0 ATX Gaming Motherboard
Storage1TB Corsair Force MP600, M.2 (2280) PCIe 4.0 (x4) NVMe SSD, Phison, TLC 3D NAND, 4950MB/s Read, 4250MB/s Write,680k/600k
PSUCorsair RMi Series 850W 80+ GOLD Full Modular Power Supply
CaseAZZA Pyramid 804 (Still undecided here as it may be too large)

thoughts?

Last edited:
Aside from waiting (which seems to be the default advice) - if you are going all-in on this - I would spend the extra on a 2080 Ti (or swap the cpu to a 3700x to help fund).

Aside from waiting (which seems to be the default advice) - if you are going all-in on this - I would spend the extra on a 2080 Ti (or swap the cpu to a 3700x to help fund).
brand-dark.svg
About o
I wouldn't. The 2080 super is the way to go. It is about £300 less and has a slight performance disadvantage. Unless you have money to burn

Slight? 10-20% is not slight.

Cheers. I'll look into the 2080 super. Sadly, I don't have money to burn and already gone well over my budget trying to future proof it too as I'll no doubt want VR as soon as F1 202x supports it.

Also, there is an Asus, gigabyte, msi version of the 2080 super. Is there a particular one I should be looking at?

Cheers.

Cheers. I'll look into the 2080 super. Sadly, I don't have money to burn and already gone well over my budget trying to future proof it too as I'll no doubt want VR as soon as F1 202x supports it.

Also, there is an Asus, gigabyte, msi version of the 2080 super. Is there a particular one I should be looking at?

Cheers.
I would personally go for an EVGA. Brilliant after support. They have a 10 year warranty on PSUs. I got in contact as the fan was noisy on mine after 5 years. 7 days later I had a new one on my desk.
I had to leave a deposit whilst I sent the other one back as I didn't want to be without a PC

I would personally go for an EVGA. Brilliant after support. They have a 10 year warranty on PSUs. I got in contact as the fan was noisy on mine after 5 years. 7 days later I had a new one on my desk.
I had to leave a deposit whilst I sent the other one back as I didn't want to be without a PC

How about this one? It's also a best-seller.

How about this one? It's also a best-seller.

Looks good. I would be tempted maybe to wait however. EVGA used to run an upgrade program, not sure if they still do

Honestly, we are at the cusp of the next generation of GPUs from both AMD and NVidia being announced. I would wait a few weeks and see what they have to offer first.

Cheers.

It seems like its best to wait until Sept - either I'll get better GPU for the same buck (3080) or the old 2080 a little cheaper. It's probably best upgrading the AMD 3900X to the 3900XT too - Grrrrrrr

I also want the iPhone 12, Apple Watch 6 and PS5, VR too lol.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom