Computer shut down by itself.

CastletonSnob

Established Member
Reaction score
Last week, I was gone for almost an hour, and my computer tower shut off. I turned it on, the boot screen showed, and my tabs were still up. It did it again this week. Then, the other day, when I was helping my mom get furniture, it fell asleep. When I moved the mouse to wake it up, it made the noise it makes when I shut it off by pressing the power button on the tower and shut off. It turned on again after I pressed the button, and went to the boot screen, and my tabs were saved.
And this morning, when I turned on my computer, it went to the boot screen, then shut off.

Is my computer dying?

Yes it is, because the same thing happened to me on a laptop and I decided to get a new one.

Is my computer dying?

Not necessarily but it obviously is having some kind of issue.

Try booting to safe mode and see what happens then. If you don't know how to do that then

W7
5 ways to boot Windows 7 into Safe Mode | Digital Citizen
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/what-safe-mode-how-boot-safe-mode
W10

Let us know if your machine stands up okay in safe mode or not. We can then help you through some stuff to find out what is happening.

So it's not your psu then, unless it's being put under abnormal load.

Might be a driver issue or an update as it's W8.1.

Going to look at the speccy info to see what updates etc and will get back to you asap.

Sounds to me like its going into hibernate mode, check the power sleep settings.

Edit: just looking at those speccy setting hibernation is enabled !

My computer didn't turn off by itself while I was at church yesterday.

And today, I was able to log in before my computer turned off by itself. I guess that's better?

Other than the occasional shutdown, I don't think I have any of the other signs of a failing power supply, and my computer is fine otherwise.

It's more annoying than anything.

I'm sure you haven't got any problems with the PSU, that's why it stood up in safe mode. We just needed to prove that.

I can't just go and buy new parts whenever I want because I'm disabled and don't work, so I'm financially dependent on my parents, who are both retired. I'm a bit limited budget-wise.

I can't just go and buy new parts whenever I want because I'm disabled and don't work, so I'm financially dependent on my parents, who are both retired. I'm a bit limited budget-wise.

Sad to hear that. Nobody has suggested you buy anything though, in fact we have proven you don't need to as your hardware is working properly. Long may it continue.

However I note you have another thread going
Thinking about buying a new computer.

rather strange your windows defender servies is not running, can't see in the other posts you have any other AV solution running which would normally be the cause of that besides malware, suggest you try a scan with malwarebytes before anything else.

I picked up on something you said in your 1st post

it made the noise it makes when I shut it off by pressing the power button on the tower and shut off.

Are you saying you switch the PC off without doing a shutdown? If so this can lead to corruption and cause the machine not to start.

rather strange your windows defender servies is not running, can't see in the other posts you have any other AV solution running which would normally be the cause of that besides malware, suggest you try a scan with malwarebytes before anything else.
Don't know where you got that from, AV has not been mentioned.

there are several malwares which will effect power management, if you look at the speccy printout it states the windows defender service is disabled and that was as far as i got, i never noticed he had norton installed which is likely why the defender was disabled but it would do no harm to run a malware check anyway.

the other reason i suspected software was his statement "it made the noise it makes when I shut it off by pressing the power button on the tower and shut off."

this seems to imply the system actually performs a shut-down all by itself so i am puzzled where you are getting the non clean shut down idea from.

OP another thing to investigate is a sticky power button on case and at this stage if you feel confident a bios reset then memtest are next.

Computer fell asleep while I was gone yesterday, and again when I had to leave again, and it didn't turn off by itself, so it's fixed, maybe.

Turned on with no problems today.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom