Condor Season 1 (Sky) TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I enjoyed S1 ... however I have watched up to E06 of S2 and its pants compared to S1.

I enjoyed S1 ... however I have watched up to E06 of S2 and its pants compared to S1.

Oh man, don't say that, I've only just started it. Maybe they should have just stopped with the (comparatively) perfect end of Season 1, particularly since the studio has folded anyway.

lol just started s2 as well .

He’s a terrible, terrible lead

The curiosity for me was having Max Irons cast as an action hero, as the son of Jeremy Irons he does have a sort of acting pedigree which is probably best suited to melodrama and stage acting, this does not always make you into a good action star, not unless the producers are looking for an archetype villain with a British accent like the American's prefer, just like Max's dad, who has made a living from being a big budget movie villain in recent times.
Max could have made this show all his own and he did try, getting his body into good physical shape and running a lot just like Tom Cruise, but as a CIA analyst he obviously had problems making himself into a weapon, his vulnerability defending himself was probably a disappointment for some wanting another Bourne, or Jack Ryan action hero.
The other cast members helped keep Condors story interesting, especially William Hurt and Brendan Fraser, a versatile actor who seems underappreciated in some recent supporting roles he has been offered, in fact Condor seems to be following a recent trend to keep viewers guessing who will be killed off next, no one seems safe.
Condor season 1 is worth a watch and I look forward to season 2 just to see if the producers have workshopped some better ideas to make Condor into an unmissable action show. My rating is 7 out of 10.

If what you say is true, that's a shame.

Be interested to see what you guys think ..... my mate is only other person I know who watches it and he says its not as good as S1 ... but not as critical as me. Also watched E07 last night and it did nothing to change my opinion.

I actually like Irons in it BTW. I think some of you are being a bit harsh on him.

This is possibly my favourite genre, can someone let me know if the end of Season 2 wraps up the storyline, rather than a cliffhanger fir a S3 we’re not getting? If so I’ll give it a watch. I see Treadstone was cancelled so no point watching that one either,

Be interested to see what you guys think ..... my mate is only other person I know who watches it and he says its not as good as S1 ... but not as critical as me. Also watched E07 last night and it did nothing to change my opinion.

I actually like Irons in it BTW. I think some of you are being a bit harsh on him.
I saw season one of Condor quite a while ago so I probably am sounding a bit too critical of Max, but I just like spy thrillers with alpha males, something that could become a memory once old dinosaurs like James Bond are ether concluded or made more woke in this modern era.
Jason Bourne started the high adrenaline ultra violent fight sequences we take for granted in modern action hero films, but since then we also have increasing numbers of alpha females like Charlize Theron, just to even things up a bit.
Hopefully, there will be some courage shown by showrunners and producers to stick with traditional alpha male action heroes like Jason Bourne and James Bond, and make straightforward old fashioned, escapist, action / adventure movies and TV shows.
Netflix do deserve some credit with their recently released film Extraction starring Chris Hemsworth, the plot was just an excuse for stunts and violence, but as a big budget action movie it did the job.

While i don't think Season 2 is as strong as the 1st (weaker supporting cast for a start), still very much enjoying it. Will be a shame if they end it due to the Studio folding.

I don't mind Max Irons either, the character is meant to be an analyst, kind of like Jack Ryan so the fact he doesn't have ice running through his veins like Bourne or Bond doesn't bother me.

Thanks for the review - it inspired me to start watching Season 1.
2 episodes in and its OK so far.....watchable, so will keep going with it.

I saw season one of Condor quite a while ago so I probably am sounding a bit too critical of Max, but I just like spy thrillers with alpha males, something that could become a memory once old dinosaurs like James Bond are ether concluded or made more woke in this modern era.
Jason Bourne started the high adrenaline ultra violent fight sequences we take for granted in modern action hero films, but since then we also have increasing numbers of alpha females like Charlize Theron, just to even things up a bit.
Hopefully, there will be some courage shown by showrunners and producers to stick with traditional alpha male action heroes like Jason Bourne and James Bond, and make straightforward old fashioned, escapist, action / adventure movies and TV shows.
Netflix do deserve some credit with their recently released film Extraction starring Chris Hemsworth, the plot was just an excuse for stunts and violence, but as a big budget action movie it did the job.

As holtehero says above, the character in Condor - as with the original movie and novel - was just an analyst. And I'm not talking an analyst like the action man in the latest Jack Ryan TV series, more like the original Jack Ryan films, where he really isn't comfortable picking up a gun, and can't stand his own against trained assassins - his skills are at putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

It was refreshing to see them nail this in Condor. About the only thing he could do is run, which meant his only other option was to think himself out of tough situations / conspiracies.

There'll always be plenty of room for breaking heads in movies and TV - Bond will never die (although, for my money, it gets trounced by Mission Impossible every year) - but more thoughtful intelligence/espionage productions are few and far between.

This is possibly my favourite genre, can someone let me know if the end of Season 2 wraps up the storyline, rather than a cliffhanger fir a S3 we’re not getting? If so I’ll give it a watch. I see Treadstone was cancelled so no point watching that one either,

Mate, have you seen Season 1? Because that's pretty self-contained, no cliffhanger. Highly recommended, whatever happens in Season 2, because you can always stop there.

Season 2's barely started in the UK, and I don't think it's quite finished in the US (3 more to go). Given the way the first season finished, though, I'd be surprised if they left things open this time around.

Mate, have you seen Season 1? Because that's pretty self-contained, no cliffhanger. Highly recommended, whatever happens in Season 2, because you can always stop there.

Season 2's barely started in the UK, and I don't think it's quite finished in the US (3 more to go). Given the way the first season finished, though, I'd be surprised if they left things open this time around.

No, I almost started it yesterday. but then exploring the 'Peacock' streaming service via VPN yesterday, they had 'Covert Affairs' on the free option, and I'd never seen S4 and S5, so I'm getting through those first. Albeit that also got cancelled on a cliffhanger.

I enjoyed season 1 overall. I wasn't a big fan of the petite Gabrielle character running around with aimbot and godmode taking out rooms at a time of trained soldiers. That sort of thing wears thin for me and detracts from what I consider to be a pretty compelling story-line. I haven't started the second season yet but looking forward to it.

I enjoyed season 1 overall. I wasn't a big fan of the petite Gabrielle character running around with aimbot and godmode taking out rooms at a time of trained soldiers. That sort of thing wears thin for me and detracts from what I consider to be a pretty compelling story-line. I haven't started the second season yet but looking forward to it.

Something tells me you may enjoy S2.

Condor S2 just seems to be a massive advert for smoking...

Other than that seems okay.

ok, just caught up and started S2. It wasn’t as good as I’d hoped, in that it wasn’t superior to others of its ilk. I get the ‘Everyman’ grounded approach, but the lead character is unrelateable, if not unlikeable, and I found the way he behaved odd and brattish several times, especially when hiding out with his internet date. The flashbacks to add character also left me cold towards any of the subjects. And I thought the whole plot/conspiracy fizzled out 2 episodes before the end.

And mostly everyone innocent/good was murdered, everyone associated with the bad guys murdered, but the actual villains all live to fight another day, I found it a bit unsatisfying. Judging from the first 2 of S2 people they were hoping to return opted out

As a more grounded, realistic, better done show I preferred the Berlin Station, which was on E4 last year, albeit I think we only got S1 over here so far.

I’ll stick with S2 as it’s good enough for the genre, but doesn’t quite work as well as what they are trying for.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom