Confessions of a BK XLS200 (vs. Gemini)

Even at medium/low volume?

A

You will hear the extra weight right away with XXLS400, i did when i heard it briefly after owning Gemini II for long time. But if i´m correct you are partnering the subwoofer with Panasonic tv GZ2000 which has sub pre out. So maybe the Gem would be plenty with the questionable tv speakers. If you are planning to buy bookshelf speakers and av-receiver later then by all means XXLS400 right away. There is few cheaper new grade-b in minth shape on another BK`s site. If you don´t find the finish you are looking for in DF you can always call to Colosussxb and ask!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Personally I wouldn't even bother with a xxls400. Jump straight to the monolith
@Jamesw71 - just wondering why you are advising this? Will it sound significantly better at the mid-low volumes I'm proposing? The size would probably be an issue but if it was sonically that much better then I might consider it.

Thanks

You will hear the extra weight right away with XXLS400, i did when i heard it briefly after owning Gemini II for long time. But if i´m correct you are partnering the subwoofer with Panasonic tv GZ2000 which has sub pre out. So maybe the Gem would be plenty with the questionable tv speakers. If you are planning to buy bookshelf speakers and av-receiver later then by all means XXLS400 right away. There is few cheaper new grade-b in minth shape on another BK`s site. If you don´t find the finish you are looking for in DF you can always call to Colosussxb and ask!

@Gasp3621 - appreciate your thoughts. Over time I might extend and improve the speakers. Challenge at the moment is that the room isn't that big and the aim is to keep the wiring and clutter to a minimum - hence the GZ2000 as a compromise. Then the BK stuff looks like a bit of furniture (and I could hide the residual wiring behind it (probably).

I'm leaning towards the XXLS400 over the Gemini II ATM.

A

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Sorry - Another question....

I was wondering if an Anti-Mode 8033 + Gemini II would give a result where I could play at higher volumes without the 'booming (neighbour annoying) affect' than an XXLS400 without the Anti-Mode?

Thanks for any constructive thoughts...

A

What is your room like? Resonance can also be caused by furniture and materials used; that's why placing rear firing speakers nearer to a wall increases bass but can also increase boom.

Personally, I would just go with the XXLS400 without an anti-mode.

Would you also consider a forward firing sub? I found it cleaner in my setup (which is not to take away from the downward firing version).

What is your room like? Resonance can also be caused by furniture and materials used; that's why placing rear firing speakers nearer to a wall increases bass but can also increase boom.

Personally, I would just go with the XXLS400 without an anti-mode.

Would you also consider a forward firing sub? I found it cleaner in my setup (which is not to take away from the downward firing version).
Hi
Room is about 3.5m x 3.5m, fireplace and alcoves on side wall. TV and subwoofer will be in the middle of one wall, sofa middle of opposite wall under the windows. Wooden floor on top of old wood floor. No carpet, but rug covering 50% of floor. Fireplace wall is adjoining neighbours.

Aesthetics are important so ideally a DF subwoofer. Might try a P12-300SB-DF...

A

I just changed from XLS200 to a Monoprice 12" THX Subwoofer and the difference is insane. I have had a 400 and a BK Mono in the past. Between the BK's, the jump from 200 to 400 is probably the biggest. The BK Mono was deeper of course, but it felt slow and heavy compared to the 400.

The THX Mono eclipses them all - depth of the BK Mono, with faster response, probably even more depth but crucially it's very controlled. Layers of deeper bass now exist and it has a great tightness I found was lacking in the BK Mono. They're the biggest steal in AV at the moment.

Just as an updated - decided on a P12-300SB-DF. Key was the auto off capability and the size will fit well in the room. Also picked up a cheap 8033 on eBay to see how that helps enable us to listen at reasonable volumes with the GS2000's inbuilt speakers.

A good few weeks away from setting up the room and will report back when it's up and running.

Thanks for all the advice (which I did read and consider) just went for the most practical solution (IMHO).

A

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom