Connecting a Sony PS2 to a PC Monitor (either VGA or DVI)

ianbhenderson73

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I currently have two 24" flat panels attached to my PC. Both of the flat panels support HDMI, VGA and DVI inputs. At present the PC is connected to one of the monitors by HDMI and the other by VGA (PC doesn't have two HDMI outputs).

A few months ago I successfully resurrected my old XBOX 360, and have it connected to the monitor that has the free HDMI input. I've now decided to do the same thing with my old Sony PS2, the intention being that it would either be connected to the monitor that has the free VGA input, or either of the monitors using the DVI inputs.

Since the monitors do not have their own speakers, I needed to purchase a switch box which would enable the computer plus three other devices to share one set of speakers.

The issue I've got is this: the standard PS2 video cable has three male RCA connectors (red/white/yellow). The red and white ones are connected to the audio switch box, which leaves me a single yellow cable. I've purchased a connector which I thought would do the job (comes with a VGA male connector at one end and three female RCAs at the other. The problem is, from the colour-coding on the female RCAs (red/blue/green) it looks as if it will only work if I have the signal from the yellow RCA cable being split into three.

So, is it possible to buy either of:
1. A cable that would be compatible with a PS2 and which would have the five output cables (r/g/b/r/w);
2. A device which would accept the signal from the yellow RCA and connect to either the VGA or DVI ports. If I'm going with this option it would be helpful if the device were one which required no dedicated power supply;

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

The most common video protocol for those wire colours and connectors would be Composite, while red, green and blue RCA connectors would either be for Component (YPbPr) or SCART-derived RGB.

Looking around it appears as if the PS2 will output component and uses the same cable as the PS3 so they're easily available.

p.s. HDMI is pretty much interchangeable with DVI as it was built using DVI as a base.

Do any of your monitors have composite video in?

The most common video protocol for those wire colours and connectors would be Composite, while red, green and blue RCA connectors would either be for Component (YPbPr) or SCART-derived RGB.

Looking around it appears as if the PS2 will output component and uses the same cable as the PS3 so they're easily available.

p.s. HDMI is pretty much interchangeable with DVI as it was built using DVI as a base.

Finally managed to figure something out. The solution is more than a little bit clunky but it works.
The first job was to convert the signal coming from the PS2. To do that, I purchased a SCART to HDMI converter (SCART to HDMI Adapter 1080P HD Video Audio Upscale Converter USB Cable TV DVD UK | eBay) which also has an audio output and would let me connect my RCA outputs from my PS2 to this unit using (ironically) my XBOX 360’s RCA-SCART converter. I also purchased an HDMI splitter (3 PORT HDMI SPLITTER CABLE MULTI SWITCH SWITCHER HUB BOX LCD HDTV PS3 XBOX | eBay) which enables me to share multiple HDMI devices through one HDMI input on the monitor.

As I say, it’s a bit clunky but at a cost of less than £15 for the lot it’s been worthwhile. And I can live with the cable clutter for the time being.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom