Connecting Avr and amp

Darkwater

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased a Musical Fidelity M3si amp for stereo music, the ht inputs of this are connected to the left and right pre outs on my Denon AVR X4500H. I currently have the stereo outputs of my blu ray player connected to the M3 amp for cds and currently looking for a network music streamer (possibly a Bluesound node 2i).
Anyhow my issue is the amp will be in a cupboard with the AVR but access into it is not easy. Control of the equipment isn’t an issue with ir extenders for remotes, but the M3 amp remote doesn’t have a standby button. Have looked on Logitech for my elite remote but cant see a power option there either.
I presume if I connect the trigger out fron the avr into the trigger in on the amp this will turn it on and off? But not sure If there is away to power up just the amp for music only, or can I just leave the amp on 24/7?

Any suggestions welcome.

I had an M3i and I used to switch it on and off manually with the button on the front. Obviously, not so easy for you with it in a cupboard.

So, leaving it on all the time is one option.

Another option is one of these devices, which I use with my power amp that doesn't have a trigger:

It does mean that you would effectively be turning the MF on and off at the wall socket, not all amps are happy with that arrangement, you might want to check with Musical Fidelity whether they think it would be okay.

Thanks Rambles

I did think of something similar in the way of a smart plug, but when i turned the amp off at the wall and back on to test it goes into standby meaning I have to turn it back on at the amp.

Another thought from what you say is if power is controlled by the avr it could be switched on and off a fair few times through the day with kids in and our using the tv. would this be ok, ok would leaving it on all the time be a better option?
i take it this wouldn’t do any long term harm?

Thanks Rambles

I did think of something similar in the way of a smart plug, but when i turned the amp off at the wall and back on to test it goes into standby meaning I have to turn it back on at the amp.

Another thought from what you say is if power is controlled by the avr it could be switched on and off a fair few times through the day with kids in and our using the tv. would this be ok, ok would leaving it on all the time be a better option?
i take it this wouldn’t do any long term harm?
If the kids are going to turning things off and on several times a day it would be better to leave the amp on 24/7 and that much powering off and on could potentially cause damage. A lot of stereo amps don't have a remote standby, my Rega as an example.

Normally I turn mine off at the mains switch every evening. Perhaps a timer for when you use the whole system?

Yes, I think I agree. Turn it on in the morning and off at night?

Yes probably the best option a smart plug with a timer and Alexa for an override could work. Helps keep things family friendly as well!

Thanks for the advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom