Answered Connecting AVR to existing sound system

airwind

Novice Member
Dear friends,

I need some advice with my current sound system setup. I have the following devices at present
- Sony Bravia TV model kdl50w829b
- Sony Soundbar with sub woofer model HT-CT260H (connected to TV via HDMI)
- PS4 console (connected to TV via HDMI)
- Sky TV box (connected to TV via HDMI)
- Chromecast gen 2 (connected to TV via HDMI)
- 2 Denon HEOS 1 HS2 speakers (in my bedrooms)

I wish to connect and play
- the same music through my Sony soundbar and 2 HEOS 1 HS2 speakers and also
- use the 2 HEOS 1 HS2 speakers along with my Sony soundbar and Sony TV for surround sound setup while watching movies

Upon looking up, I felt my options are to either buy a Denon HEOS Link, Amp or an AVR. I was inclined to buy the Denon AVR-X1400H as
- it seemed to give me option to expand my existing setup in case I get rid of my Sony soundbar at a later stage and replace them with speakers (not happening any time soon unless the soundbar conks off or I win a lottery though :))
- price wise they are very similar (here in UK at least)

Given the Sony soundbar I have is an active type one, I am not sure if I could connect this to the Denon AVR and if I would be able to address my need explained above. Hence appreciate any and all advise to help me decide if I should be buying the Denon AVR-X1400H please.

Big thanks in advance.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You can't use both a soundbar and an AV receiver at the same time and within the same setup. You'd either use an AV receiver with passove speakers and an active sub connected to it or your sounsbar and its sub. If wanting a setup that utilises an AV receiver then you'd also need the associated speakers for the main room. You cannot integrate a soundbar into an AV receiver setup.

airwind

Novice Member
You can't use both a soundbar and an AV receiver at the same time and within the same setup. You'd either use an AV receiver with passove speakers and an active sub connected to it or your sounsbar and its sub. If wanting a setup that utilises an AV receiver then you'd also need the associated speakers for the main room. You cannot integrate a soundbar into an AV receiver setup.
Thank you very much for taking out time to respond.

I had read your responses earlier on this post as well - Add soundbar to AV Receiver from where I was able to draw that I may be going down a stupid route trying to connect AVR to an active soundbar. Unfortunately, I do not have budget for additional separate speakers + AVR and wanted to make best use of what I already had.

Can you please suggest if there is a way I could use my current existing set up of
- HEOS speakers and Sony soundbar to stream the same music wirelessly in different rooms and
- HEOS speakers, Sony soundbar and Sony TV to output surround sound for movies

I even thought about getting one or two Chromecast audio devices which may address my first point above but surely not the second point. So please help.

dante01

Distinguished Member
What sources do you want both your main room and HEOS speakers to be able to access. If music files then locate them on a central NAS where they can be accessed by other devices and your HEOS speakers over a network. If the source devices are hardwired and have no networking then you cannot access them via the HEOS speakers and you'd need an HEOS Link connected to the audio output of the soundbar if it has one to be able to share sources connected to either your TV or the soundbar. Note that some of these sources may not be accessible to the HEOS Link depending upon how they are connected and the type of connection from the soundbar to the HEOS Link.

airwind

Novice Member
What sources do you want both your main room and HEOS speakers to be able to access. If music files then locate them on a central NAS where they can be accessed by over devices and your HEOS speakers over a network. If the source devices are hardwired and have no networking then you cannot access them via the HEOS speakers and you'd need an HEOS Link connected to the audio output of the soundbar to be able to share sources connected to either your TV or the soundbar. Note that some of these sources may not be accessible to the HEOS Link depending upon how they are connected and the type of connection from the soundbar to the HEOS Link.
Thank you again Dante01 for the quick response. I do not have a NAS but have Spotify Premium which works beautifully with my 2 HEOS speakers but have no means to connect to my Sony soundbar.

By the looks of it, I am getting a feeling that I will have to replace my Sony soundbar with some compatible good set of speakers and use it with the Denon AVR to achieve both my needs but don't have the budget for this now.

Any suggestions what type of speakers I could go for in the future?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom