Question Connecting Blu-ray player/surround sound system to TV, Sky Q box and games consoles

Jab165

Novice Member
Reaction score
We have just ordered a Sony KD55XG8976 along with getting a new Sky Q box in the next week or so as well and I have some questions about getting up our devices so we get surround sound.

We currently have a Panasonic plasma TV and the way we have it set up is:
HDMI from Blu-ray player/surround sound to TV for bluray player image, HDMI from Sky HD box to TV for Sky image and HDMI from PS4 to TV for PS4 image, and Switch HDMI to TV for Switch image
Red and White audio av cables from blu-ray player/surround sound to Sky HD box for getting audio of Sky to surround sound
Optical cable from PS4 to blu-ray player/surround sound for getting audio of PS4 to surround sound
For the Switch have to just use the TV audio

So the Sky Q box doesn't have the av audio inputs only an hdmi input and hdmi output.

My understanding from research is that with the new TV we could potentially connect all the devices via HDMI to the tv to send the images and audio to the tv and then use the optical output on the TV to connect to the optical port on the surround sound to send the audio of whatever device is selected on the TV to the blu-ray/surround sound system. Is that correct? Would that be a full 5.1 signal?

The new TV also has an HDMI ARC input and the HDMI output on the blu-ray player is also ARC enabled so would that work for sending the audio signal of all the devices to the blu-ray player/surround sound system without the need for an optical cable?

Trying to get my head around this, don't want to use an HDMI switcher when the TV has four HDMI inputs. I also understand that the Switch isn't capable of surround sound.

Any help is much appreciated!

My Sky Q box has a optical out for sound as well. If you use it you will get 5.1 but not Atmos and its equivalents, the same for any other source.
The way I have mine set up is, everything is connected to my amp via HDMI. The TV is connected to the monitor port of the amp using the ARC port on the TV.

For the best audio from any source, especially Atmos, you will need a receiver and seven speakers along with a subwoofer in a 5.1.2 configuration. The receiver then acts as a HDMI hub into which all your various bits of kit can be fed. HDMI from SkyQ will give you Atmos with such a configuration as well as any blu ray player and gaming device. The receiver is then connected to the TV by HDMI and audio using eARC (best) or optical. eARC will give Atmos but optical will only allow for 5.1 SD audio.

There also several soundbars on the market that can act as a HDMI hub and give some kind of pseudo Atmos effect. These are in no way as good as a properly installed 5.1.2 system but would prove considerably cheaper money wise.

Thank you for your responses but you haven't really answered my question.

We don't have and don't plan to get a surround sound receiver we just have a basic blu-ray player/surround sound system and it only has one HDMI output (arc enabled) and one optical output.

Thank you for your responses but you haven't really answered my question.

We don't have and don't plan to get a surround sound receiver we just have a basic blu-ray player/surround sound system and it only has one HDMI output (arc enabled) and one optical output.

Without a external amplifier with at least 5.1 Dolby Digital decoding and a 5.1 speaker and subwoofer. you cannot get 5.1 surround sound.

You can emulate a sort of surround sound effect but it's a poor relation. 5.1 audio is totally discrete (no cross talk between outputs). You can buy a cheap 5.1 setup with hdmi audio in and speakers that will do the job.

eg

As long as the optical out passes through the Dolby 5.1 you should be able to have everything connected to the tv via hdmi then optical out to your blu Ray/surround. I can’t say wether it will as some only pass 5.1 from internal apps you’ll just need to give it a try but as you’ve only been used to pro logic with sky you should at least still get that.

As long as the optical out passes through the Dolby 5.1 you should be able to have everything connected to the tv via hdmi then optical out to your blu Ray/surround. I can’t say wether it will as some only pass 5.1 from internal apps you’ll just need to give it a try but as you’ve only been used to pro logic with sky you should at least still get that.

I doubt the Blu-ray player has internal amplifiers and speaker connections. The OP doesn't give us any idea of what outputs it has. Guessing the OP is using a TV's built in amplifier and stereo speakers and thinks that is surround. Without rear speakers it is in no way surround.

Basic 5.1 speaker setup.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 167
Without a external amplifier with at least 5.1 Dolby Digital decoding and a 5.1 speaker and subwoofer. you cannot get 5.1 surround sound.

You can emulate a sort of surround sound effect but it's a poor relation. 5.1 audio is totally discrete (no cross talk between outputs). You can buy a cheap 5.1 setup with hdmi audio in and speakers that will do the job.

eg

Ok just to clarify we have a Panasonic BTT 400 blu-ray player surround sound system with the multiple surround sound speakers whether or not they are "true" surround sound I don't know.

Ok just to clarify we have a Panasonic BTT 400 blu-ray player surround sound system with the multiple surround sound speakers whether or not they are "true" surround sound I don't know.

How many speaker outputs does it have and speakers. If 6 located as per the file I uploaded.

You just need to connect it to a TV using HDMI. Mute the TV speakers and you will have proper surround from DVD's and blu-ray disks. No need for arc or anything like that. You only need arc to hear sound from the TV. This is unlikely to be surround but rather stereo 2.0. Does it have any other input sockets like a optical input you can select to output to the connected speakers ?

I understand that, that isn't the issue, the issue is getting the audio signal of all the devices I use to the blu-ray player/surround sound system.

I understand that, that isn't the issue, the issue is getting the audio signal of all the devices I use to the blu-ray player/surround sound system.

What digital audio outputs do they have and how many devices ?

A list would help ?

What format is the digital audio in socket on the Blu-ray (coax or optical (toslink) ) ?

Does your TV route Audio input on HDMI inputs to the arc output ?

Last edited:
OK, I'm with you now, I thought you were wanting to shift the Panasonic and replace with something better or a soundbar. You will have to connect everything to your TV via HDMI. SkyQ has HDMI out and that will be your UHD feed which needs a premium 18gb lead.

Audio will be via the ARC channel if you want the maximum of Dolby Digital Plus from SkyQ. It can though prove as reliable as the British summer and your other option would be optical. Your Panasonic has an optical input, it's not, as your described and output. That would give you SD audio at a maximum of 5.1 and that is how I would connect as both DD and DD+ are lossy formats anyway.

You will still get HD audio from the player side of the Panasonic.

So to summarize. All bits of kit connected to the TV including the Panasonic. Audio from TV to Panasonic via optical.

I think you’ll be fine to do as I stated, at the very worst you’ll get Dolby pro logic which is what you’ve been getting from sky thus far and if the tv will pass Dolby digital then you’ll get 5.1 on all sources. If the tv won’t pass the Dolby digital you could invest in a optical splitter. I’d wait and see what happens when get the tv all hooked up.

One. Optical input, plus a pair of RCA inputs. One HDMI (ARC) output.

What about the info on the other kit you want to connect. AVR's have multiple inputs. You only have one so you need a switch, without knowing what formats you need to switch no way to help.

Also Is the other kit connected to the TV by HDMI for Video ?. Does the TV give you arc output from a external HDMI input ?

What about the info on the other kit you want to connect. AVR's have multiple inputs. You only va one so you need a switch, without knowing what formats you need to switch no way to help.
Not me boy bach, I'm just the bearer of some information after looking at the OP's information sheet. The Panasonic unit that he has is self contained and comes with just one HDMI out so cannot act as a hub. Think this is the one.

Not me boy bach, I'm just the bearer of some information after looking at the OP's information sheet. The Panasonic unit that he has is self contained and comes with just one HDMI out so cannot act as a hub. Think this is the one.

Well the OP needs to answer the other questions otherwise no way to tell. I had already looked and confirmed that. Still need the other answers.

Optical remote controlled matrix toslink switches are available and also mechanical ones.

I think you’ll be fine to do as I stated, at the very worst you’ll get Dolby pro logic which is what you’ve been getting from sky thus far and if the tv will pass Dolby digital then you’ll get 5.1 on all sources. If the tv won’t pass the Dolby digital you could invest in a optical splitter. I’d wait and see what happens when get the tv all hooked up.

Thank you very much that's all I really wanted to know. Need to confirm that the TV will pass dolby digital but I would like to think it would given the cost of it and the fact that it's a relatively recent TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom