Connecting my active subwoofer alongside soundbar (HDFury Diva)

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 7.1.4 soundbar that comes with a wireless subwoofer.

Most of the time it sounds great but I miss that deep infrasonic bass I am used to from my SVS subwoofer that I was using as part of my separates.

I am looking to adding my SVS into the mix but unsure how I can get it working without having to buy an external device that looks big like an AVR.

I am was looking at HDFury Diva but it is not clear if this device can simultaneously output 4K/HDR/60Hz video via HDMI OUT, lossless audio (Atmos/DTS-X/TrueHD/DTS-HD etc) HDMI OUT and 2ch LR output.

The 2ch output is important as I am planning to use that to connect to my SVS active subwoofer, video to my 4K HDR TV and lossless audio to my soundbar.

This way I am hoping the SVS sub will work in tandem with the soundbar without any sync issues. Will this work? Do I need an amplifier to amplify the LR signal from the device?

Please advice.

Which Soundbar do you have?

Joe

Hi Joe,

LG SN11RG 7.1.4. it's mostly fine but I am going back to old habits which means I am craving for that deep bass which I why I would like a reasonable solution to my problem.

Your inputs will be highly appreciated.

So in a nutshell, I am looking for a device that can simultaneously output HDMI audio to my soundbar and a 2 ch sound via analog out to my Active sub. If required I can add an amp in between if any sound amplification is needed.

Pretty limited options when you want to retain full Video and Audio plus down convert the audio to 2.0 - none of the HDFury devices will undertake the audio transform.

You could combine the HDFury Vertex² (4x2+1) with an Atlona AT-HDR-M2C '4K HDR Multi-Channel Audio Converter' (connected to the HDMI Audio out of the Vertex²) and feed the LR down mix to the Sub. Total cost will be close to £800.

Alternatively you could add a suitable AVR or AV Processor to your system - ignoring the loudspeaker section of the AVR.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

Please you can you explain how an AVR would solve my problem.

You could try (digital signal path) Source(s) > AVR > Soundbar > Display plus (analogue signal path) AVR to Sub - may take a bit of digging to find an AVR which will pass the audio out via HDMI plus extract the Sub signal.

I wonder too if a 'rethink' on the Soundbar is required and consider instead a 2.1 system with the active Sub!

Joe

Thanks Joe. Sounds like a pain. Is there any device that do dual HDMI audio out only from a single HDMI audio in. My UHD player has a dedicated HDMI audio out. I was thinking of connecting one to soundbar and another one to a HDMI to analog downmixer and feed that into my sub. I doubt.if my Panny can do dual audio outs via both HDMI. Wish it did that.

The Atlona unit I mentioned is one of the few on the market which meets your requirements - it is approx. £380, we have supplied them to a couple of customers.

The licence cost of the required Dolby license is huge (six figures per annum) which keeps the price high/availability of suitable devices low.

Joe

Would this Atlona device alone suffice as my player has a dedicated HDMI Audio OUT and the HDMI video out can be fed directly into.my TV.. Also do I any need any preamplificstion prior to feeding the L+R RCA into the Active sub?

Audio out from the BDP ‘audio’ HDMI should be ideal - the converter will then down mix to 2.0 and you set the level and crossover frequency on the Sub.

Drop me a note tomorrow if you want more detail.

Joe

Audio out from the BDP ‘audio’ HDMI should be ideal - the converter will then down mix to 2.0 and you set the level and crossover frequency on the Sub.

Drop me a note tomorrow if you want more detail.

Joe

Thanks very much Joe. Please confirm if the device will output full fat original audio bitstreamed by the player plus downmix to 2ch analog simultaneously so that I can hook it to my sub.

Thanks very much Joe. I am wondering if the device will omit the LFE channel while downmixing from 5.1/7.1 to 2ch (L+R). If yes, how will I get LFE output via the active subwoofer?

The stereo mix ought to include the LFE channel - you will be sending a full range signal to the sub and then use the sub’s crossover and level control relative to the Soundbar output to blend the two output devices.

Joe

Thanks again @Joe Fernand for all your inputs. Please can you check your PM.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom