Answered Connecting Soundbar to a Receiver as subwoofer using Yamaha MusicCast surround

jjepsen

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for guidance. I am upgrading my setup, and will be changing my layout in regards to my TV.

I want to use a Soundbar as primary source for direct TV sound, but instead of having an extra external subwoofer i would like to wirelessly connect to my stereo reciever, and use my speakers for that extra bass when watching movies.

Is it possible to use the Yamaha MusicCast Suround system with ie. Yamaha BAR 40 and a MusicCast compatible reciever ie. RX-V485 to function as a wireless subwoofer?

No, the audio signal would need to go through the receiver to get converted to a signal that would pass as either 2.1 or 5.1, there would be no way to integrate the two because of their own processors. You can add a wireless sub to the soundbar.

A separate receiver and speakers correctly positioned is always going to sound better than any soundbar.

Thank you. That's what I figured.
Guess I need to reevaluate my setup plans, again.

I assume you don't want a receiver on for all programmes and your not very happy with the TV's speakers. The work around would be to have the receiver connected to the TV via HDMI ARC. Then have the soundbar connected to the TV via optical if your aim is to just improve the TV sound.

You can't combine a soundbar in with a surround sound from a receiver. I use my receiver for 90% of all audio. Another problem that arises from trying to use two systems is just where do you place the centre speaker when a soundbar is also in play unless you have a TV with a 'blade' soundbar attached such as some of the latest Panasonic models.

Yes exactly. In my case, 90% of the TV usage, a soundbar would be sufficient. (my wife is not going to turn a receiver etc. On)
But when I do use it, I would like to combine it with my stereo, while still using the soundbar as centre speakers. Because my floor speakers is not possible to place in an optimal position due to the layout. Which is why I have separate setup for music.

I will most likely be going for a soundbar with subwoofer, but not too keen on having that extra monstrosity.

Unless I can use 2 active speakers which can work seamlessly with the TV input, and be switched to working with the receiver?

You can't use a soundbar as a centre. It has it's own processor and along with a centre it would also output a left and right channel. It's either one or the other as never the twain shall meet.

You can run active speakers from a receiver providing the receiver has pre-outs. Combining as you want is somewhat more difficult and I don't feel qualified to say a yes or a no to that. If you are wanting to keep the music side separate from the cinema side using the same front speakers then that is easily done.

Does your current stereo amp have HT by-pass? My system has a Rega stereo amp driving the front left and right. For film and TV you engage the Rega's direct by-pass with the left and right channel using the pre-outs from my receiver. The remaining speakers in my 5.1.2 layout are connected to the receiver. For film and TV both the Rega and the receiver are in use. Then for music I just use the Rega and the fronts. Best of both worlds. Works seamlessly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom