connecting soundbar to tv

shedboy79

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a lg 42" tv, i am looking to buy a 2.1 sound bar. I have a xbox 360, blue ray player, sky tv all connected via hdmi ports, now if i connect the sound bar via a optic cable to the tv will all my appliances work through the sound bar? The reason i asked i used to have a 5.1 surround sound and it would only work with the the thing it was attached too, ie one thing at a time.

i was only looking to get a cheap sound bar - about £120 give or take a few quid.

any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hope i have posted in the right group.

Many Thanks

You need to check your TV as a lot only output sound from their internal tuner via the optical. Hence devices connected to the TV via HDMI may not be passed through to the optical output. If this is the case then you will need to connect each device to the soundbar and then the soundbar to the TV.

You need to check your TV as a lot only output sound from their internal tuner via the optical. Hence devices connected to the TV via HDMI may not be passed through to the optical output. If this is the case then you will need to connect each device to the soundbar and then the soundbar to the TV.

thanks for your reply , do most sound bars have enough ports for more than one device? are they connected via rgb, sorry for sounding thick, have no idea when it comes to sound

my tv is LG 42LW450U
was thinking for the sound bar something along the lines of

Philips CSS2123/05 60W Sound Bar Home Cinema Speaker: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
or

Sharp HTSB400 Black | Soundbar | Richer Sounds

just want to know how to connect everything at once! thanks :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The sharp only has a phono or headphone connection so if your TV does not have these outputs the you can not use it. The Phillips only has one optical, one coaxial and a phono input so could be used (optical for sky, coaxial for bluray and phono for xbox) with all your sources.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom