Considering having your TV calibrated? Find a calibrator here

I've got a few questions about professional calibration.

1) Most of my devices actually go in to my Denon AV/R

4K Blu-ray Player
Nintendo Switch
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
PC

Surely every device is different, so how can you calibrate the TV correctly in that scenario?

2) If it was all calibrated and then I upgrade/changed the AV/R in future - would it need re-calibration or do they all literally just 'pass-through' the signal purely without additional processing?

Hi. I understand the potential confusion but the answer is really relatively simple. The fact is that you calibrate your display device to various industry defined standards for SDR and HDR content. DVD, Blu-ray or Freeview or Sky Q all share the same SDR industry standard. Same too for HDR capable devices. Unless you have a faulty source device or your source device is 'fiddling' with the output you should get exactly what the content provider is sending on your calibrated display device. So we simply need to make sure that your source devices are passing the content without fiddling with it.

Back in the day of analogue video signals you would get large variances in the signals output by sources. Nowadays in the land of digital video you find that, as long as the correct settings are applied in the sources, they will be pretty much identical in output. If there is a problematic devie you could normally just deal with it by using a different preset for it when in use. I would hope that the receiver should not be altering the signal in any way once set up correctly but if it did then you would be correct that a tweak of the calibration would likely be required. I charge a nominal fee for that sort of hting and i suspect other calibrators are the same.

Gordon beat me to it by 60 seconds! :)

I've got a few questions about professional calibration.

Surely every device is different, so how can you calibrate the TV correctly in that scenario?

2) If it was all calibrated and then I upgrade/changed the AVR in future - would it need re-calibration or do they all literally just 'pass-through' the signal purely without additional processing?
Steve Withers has visited me several times doing calibrations. He emphasised what Gordon and Canary Jules are saying in their posts #75. 76 and 77. He said that the source devices, and the AV receiver, should be set not to alter the video signal at all (off or neutral or passthrough), and then you do all the adjustments at the display end.

I have an LG 65” OLED, are these sets worth calibrating and, if so, will the improvemwnt in picture quality be subtle or quite noticeable ?

Which particular LG OLED?? Yes, I would say it's worth calibrating, but difficult to say how big an improvement it will make. When I had my first calibrations (of four televisions) done in 2013, initially I didn't like the calibrated settings, but after about four days I became a big fan, especially when I briefly went back to the old settings, and now the old settings looked garish. But those were all plasmas. I now have two LCDs and two plasmas, so I can't say anything about OLED calibrations.

Which particular LG OLED?? Yes, I would say it's worth calibrating, but difficult to say how big an improvement it will make. When I had my first calibrations (of four televisions) done in 2013, initially I didn't like the calibrated settings, but after about four days I became a big fan, especially when I briefly went back to the old settings, and now the old settings looked garish. But those were all plasmas. I now have two LCDs and two plasmas, so I can't say anything about OLED calibrations.
Thank you for the response, it’s an LG OLED65C7V !

The 65C7 is a model from last year and has many calibration controls. I'll defer to anyone else who has experience of OLEDs that might disagree with me, but I'd say it's definitely worth getting it calibrated! One of several things to look for after calibration is improved near-black performance.

Julian from Display Calibration calibrated my LG 55 B7 OLED in June 2018. Whilst the tv had a great picture 'out of the box', Julian made it look fabulous. He did not just make the picture look far better than I ever could, (as he had all sorts of technical kit) he had such knowledge that it was like attending a masterclass in all things AV, so I learnt a lot whilst he carried out the job. Equally you don't need to worry about being blinded by science or having to write down loadsa notes as he emailed all the settings that are unique to my tv. He also had a great personality to boot and so if you are going to spend big on a new tv, spend a modest amount to make the tv look magical! I don't have shares or any reason to say all this, other than to share what was a great experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I have a 65 inch OLD B7, got it brand new at £1599, ive hung it up and it is a brilliant picture, I have a sound bar so don't use the screen sound.

I have a big bright room, but normally watch TV at night, light behind the TV etc.

If someone calibrated this would I notice ? would I have to run a setting for during the day, change it for evening and then change it again for a film ? the way it looks, it looks better on films than TV, but on films it looks great....

What would everyone suggest ? Sometimes the sounds doesnt feel fully sync with picture ? can someone make it crisp ?

Rgds
Alan

Keston in kent near Bromley !!!

Should you leave your TV (OLED) for any length of time to settle before getting it calibrated? Or is it pretty much Ok to run with straight out of the box?

Have contacted HDVTest twice to ask for a quote and have never got a reply

Sorry more questions whilst I'm running the TV in.

I'm reading that there are issues with the current firmware on the LG C8's, given this.....
Does this effect calibration?
Should I wait for a better firmware before calibration?
After calibration what happens with a firmware change issued by the manufacturer?

Thanks
Martin

Sorry more questions whilst I'm running the TV in.

I'm reading that there are issues with the current firmware on the LG C8's, given this.....
Does this effect calibration?
Should I wait for a better firmware before calibration?
After calibration what happens with a firmware change issued by the manufacturer?

Thanks
Martin

Hi. There are indeed some uncertanties at the moment with regard to LG's intentions in this respect. LG's last firmware was aimed to fix issues with near black chroma overshoot. However, it also crushed shadow detail. There is speculation that a future firmware will reverse the crushed shadow detail. This has left people wondering whether or not to risk having their displays calibrated until we find out what a future firmware will do. The problem is that no one knows when this might be released or what the effects of the future firmware will be. Some people are content to wait. Others are having their displays calibrated and switching off the auto update. Some calibrators are assuring clients that if the next firmware does impact on gamma they will recalibrate for a nominal fee. It's actually quite rare that a firmware would impact in this way so people who are looking into having a calibration shouldn't overly worry. I hope my fellow calibrators will agree when I say that potential clients need to reassured that whatever the outcome we will look after their best interests.

Im in the same boat, ive decided to wait until the next firmware is released, as the black crush on my C8 is horrendous, the worst ive ever seen. In every other respect its awesome.

Im in the same boat, ive decided to wait until the next firmware is released, as the black crush on my C8 is horrendous, the worst ive ever seen. In every other respect its awesome.

It's a predicament for sure. The last indication I had from someone close to LG engineering was that the next firmware will respect the integrity of existing Autocal calibrations. That would mean that folk could go ahead and have calibrations done now without worrying about a future firmware screwing with it.

Whatever happens youll be coming up to Derby some time this summer. Maybe for the calibration test we can watch a re-run of the Carrow Road floodlights game :p

Whatever happens youll be coming up to Derby some time in the summer. Maybe for the calibration test we can watch a re-run of the Carrow road floodlights game :p

Ha ha! I was there. I wasn't laughing at the time though. All's well that ends well - for Norwich that is. Looks like Super Frank may be off from the Rams...

Found myself a calibrator at display and sound calibration

Why is he banned ?

Why is he banned ?

Long story... A moderator like Arenaman is probably best positioned to explain.
There are excellent calibrators who are represented on this forum's professionals map (which is the point of this whole thread - see the first page) who travel the country. Folk who choose one of these are supporting the forums as well as getting fantastic service.

Long story... A moderator like Arenaman is probably best positioned to explain.
There are excellent calibrators who are represented on this forum's professionals map (which is the point of this whole thread - see the first page) who travel the country. Folk who choose one of these are supporting the forums as well as getting fantastic service.

I can't say why he or anyone else has been banned, we parted ways, it was a long time ago now, we don't mention it :eek:

Lots of good calibrators we approve of are on the list :)

I've just had my C8 re-calibration completed by Canary Jules, someone I have used on a previous occasion. I decided to try another calibrator few weeks previously, not because I was in any way dissatisfied with Jules work but curious to see how another calibration worked. Unfortunately this was an expensive mistake as I was ultimately underwhelmed and disappointed with the end result. Having lived with it a few weeks I decided to bite the bullet and get Jules in to take a look at it.
Once Jules completed his work on re-calibration I'm left with superb image quality. No more crushed blacks, lost shadow detail. Colours that are now not over saturated and greyscale tracking thats been corrected, the improvements are not subtle. Jules comes highly recommended to anyone who is thinking of a calibration and wants a through, accurate job done. Thanks again Jules for your time, outstanding attention to detail and true professionalism.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom