Control for the Xbox One discussion

The Digital Foundry video on Control praises how the navigation is handled, they like that there are no waypoints you just blindly follow to your objective instead you need to check signage in game to navigate and at times you can get turned around and get genuinely lost.

Last edited:
I know how to bring up the map, it just doesn’t appear most of the time, which makes navigating a pain.
Looking online and it seems it’s a widespread issue, and I’m lucky I’m playing on an X, as it seems the game is almost unplayable on base models.

I've had it as well, map comes up and has place names but not the actual layout of the building.

I don't know why but my brian cell said 'he only sees the map at the fast travel points' when I read your post. :facepalm:

I personally haven't had this issue on my game but even with the map available the navigating can sometimes be head scratching.

I've had it as well, map comes up and has place names but not the actual layout of the building.

The disappearing map mostly seems to happen in the maintenance area, and yes, it shows area names but no actual layout.

The Digital Foundry video on Control praises how the navigation is handled, they like that there are no waypoints you just blindly follow to your objective instead you need to check signage in game to navigate and at times you can get turned around and get genuinely lost.

I'm all for the lack of waypoints and having to use signs etc. to get around, but the map is also useful.
So far I've not got too lost using signs and the map, when it actually displays.

As I said before, after looking around online it seems the map issues are wide spread, as well as horrendous performance on Xbox One and PS4 base models making the game almost unplayable, with only the X and Pro being able to play the game to a decent extent.

On a bit of a whim, I cashed in my accumulated MS Reward points for £45 of credit and bought Control, without really knowing much about it. I enjoyed Alan Wake and Quantum Break, so I figured it wasn't THAT much of a leap into the dark.

The lack of map and having to free-navigate is a brave move. I'm all for realism and immersiveness but I can see this being quite divisive, particularly with those not old enough to remember 8 bit games where half of the fun was drawing your own map on graph paper :D

On a bit of a whim, I cashed in my accumulated MS Reward points for £45 of credit and bought Control, without really knowing much about it. I enjoyed Alan Wake and Quantum Break, so I figured it wasn't THAT much of a leap into the dark.

The lack of map and having to free-navigate is a brave move. I'm all for realism and immersiveness but I can see this being quite divisive, particularly with those not old enough to remember 8 bit games where half of the fun was drawing your own map on graph paper :D
There is a map just not a hud/mini map, press up on the d-pad.

I don't think the map is a massive issue, it gives a basic layout, schematic of the floor you're on. You then really need to use the signposting for finer navigation as multiple floors within each section aren't defined on the map.

Don't forget you can also fast travel between control points which helps especially for those timed encounters.

So I'm a fair way into the game now. Not long spoke to P6(that shouldn't be too spoilery).
The thing is, I'm missing a whole section.
Earlier, before I went to P6's cell, there was a large open area with multiple levels and staircases and a shelter.
Near the bottom was a strange corrupted area leading to a hole/long drop which lead to a toilet, which in turn lead through a corridor and out into a cave of sorts with a few really strong enemies.
Back then I thought I'd leave it and come back once I'd acquired more powers and better weapons.
Now I can't find this area.
From what I remember from earlier on, it was somehow connected to the executive area, but I still can't find my way to it.

So I'm a fair way into the game now. Not long spoke to P6(that shouldn't be too spoilery).
The thing is, I'm missing a whole section.
Earlier, before I went to P6's cell, there was a large open area with multiple levels and staircases and a shelter.
Near the bottom was a strange corrupted area leading to a hole/long drop which lead to a toilet, which in turn lead through a corridor and out into a cave of sorts with a few really strong enemies.
Back then I thought I'd leave it and come back once I'd acquired more powers and better weapons.
Now I can't find this area.
From what I remember from earlier on, it was somehow connected to the executive area, but I still can't find my way to it.
I think your talking about Central Research in the Research Sector.

"Finished" the game 2 days ago
Finaly i know what actualy happened in Alan Wake

I played game on RTX2080 with full raytrace and visualy this is future.
My score for game at the end was 9 from 10.

I think your talking about Central Research in the Research Sector.

I’ll have a look there, but I remember going to the area I’m talking about pretty early on in the game, before getting to the Research Sector.

Edit: So I just got to Central Research and that’s exactly where I was talking about.
I honestly didn’t think I’d gone there so early in the game.
Well, at least now I can find out what’s at the bottom.

Also, anyone got any tips for fighting the fridge?

Last edited:
I’ll have a look there, but I remember going to the area I’m talking about pretty early on in the game, before getting to the Research Sector.

Edit: So I just got to Central Research and that’s exactly where I was talking about.
I honestly didn’t think I’d gone there so early in the game.
Well, at least now I can find out what’s at the bottom.

Also, anyone got any tips for fighting the fridge?
In regards to the
When it's eye starts to turn throw something right away, the object you throw now only does more damage but if you can pop those balls it launches you will do even more damage to it. After the first set of tenticle slams which you can easily dodge go into levitation as much as possible, this will stop you falling down an hole.
it seriously took me about 10 tries to beat it.

Also if you want to know a secret about the Central Research area
from the control zone keep going up using the holes in the walls
. :censored:

I’ll look into that last one.

I found another pain in the arse at the bottom of The Pit, found when venturing to the bottom of Central Research.
Just as the fridge.
These things are bordering on Dark Souls territory!

I have just completed this and got all the achievements (well trophies on PS) for it. Just in time for Gears tomorrow.

I highly recommend playing this even if you don't buy it now.

I'm the opposite.

I thought, eventually, it was OK. It was a bit too weird for me but I got into it a bit more and liked the control method and action. It seemed to flow quite well.

My real criticism of it is, it's too damn short. I doubt I've put 15 hours into it and I'm done.

Note - Playing on the PC.

If there’s one glaring flaw of this game, and it’s a huge issue, is the way it deals with check points.
I mean ***!
I’ve just had to switch off after being killed traversing the ashtray maze.
I was quite a way through.
Easily spent a good 10 minutes fighting my way through only to get killed without even the possibility of healing at that point.
Having to go through all that again?!
Get fudgeed!
If I were giving this game a score out of 10, the lack of checkpoints would easily knock 2 points off the score.

If there’s one glaring flaw of this game, and it’s a huge issue, is the way it deals with check points.
I mean ***!
I’ve just had to switch off after being killed traversing the ashtray maze.
I was quite a way through.
Easily spent a good 10 minutes fighting my way through only to get killed without even the possibility of healing at that point.
Having to go through all that again?!
Get fudgeed!
If I were giving this game a score out of 10, the lack of checkpoints would easily knock 2 points off the score.
Old school. :laugh:
mr.ragequit.jpg

Yep!
Honestly though, they could have implemented a better system.

Ultimate rage quit.
I was on what I'm guessing is the final sequence, which was nothing but repetitive BS.
Deactivate a group of 3 satellites while fending of enemies, then a single satellite pops up on a higher level along side respawning enemies.
After that more of the same.
Died once part way through the first set and my progress was reset.
Died during first single satellite and my progress was reset.
Died again during first single satellite but progress was kept.
Died during second single satellite and progress was reset to first.
Died during the third single satellite and my progress was reset all the way back to the first again.
Quit the game and uninstalled.
At this point I don't think I'll be going back to it.

Unimaginative and highly frustrating.
All this is is a lack of creativity.
Repetitive sequence with constantly respawning enemies, some of which are mini boss variants.
Coupled with the fact that the weapons are glitched and can't upgrade fully. One of which you can't upgrade from level one.

I really cannot be bothered with it at this point.

Hahaha! Looking at that last post of mine is insane.
I did go back and there’d been a patch which fixed the weapon upgrades so I was able to get past that area a lot easier and complete the game.
All I have left to go back to is the endgame boss.

Really enjoying this since getting it from the Classifieds here a few weeks ago. That said, I’m tearing my hair out - I’m at the Hedron Chamber and it’s suddenly insanely difficult. Must have tried around 8-9 times now. A real difficultly spike and it’s very frustrating grrrrrr

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom