Controller apps (generally, but Teufel in particular)

huntajc

Standard Member
Reaction score
It's been observed elsewhere, but it's such a shame how poor the user interfaces tend to be for the apps that allow you to control your streamer of choice.

I've recently acquired a Teufel Connector, and I've been going through the various service and controller choices. They're all a compromise of one sort or another (apps are on an Android device):
  • Tidal: no MQA support (not a big deal for me), and plays 'natively' from the Raumfeld app, which supports gapless playback. This is the best compromise I've landed on to date, in that the end result gets me what I prioritise, but the Raumfeld app user experience leaves a lot to be desired. I can cast over Chromecast direct from the Tidal app, which is a better user experience, but that means giving up gapless playback (I find the gaps are noticeable and really irritating).
  • Qobuz: can only be played over Chromecast, which means no gapless.
  • Amazon HD: also over Chromecast, so no gapless, and file quality is variable.
  • Spotify: plays natively in the Raumfeld app, but sub-CD quality. Haven't assessed whether Spotify Connect is gapless as I don't have a premium account.
So, my hopes are:
  • Raumfeld / Teufel significantly improve their app.
  • I find an alternative app with a better user experience that is able to host the native Raumfeld / Teufel services (pipe dream?), or somehow can cast gapless. (I've tried BubbleUPnP, and it doesn't play nicely with Raumfeld / Teufel.)
  • Chromecast delivers gapless playback (wouldn't bet the farm on that one)
  • Spotify brings out a hi-res plan (more likely) and Spotify Connect is gapless
Are there any other options / workarounds I'm missing?

HiFiCast (app) works gaplessy with Chromecast in the Teufel. Spotify Connect Premium is gapless.

HiFiCast (app) works gaplessy with Chromecast in the Teufel. Spotify Connect Premium is gapless.
Thank you for this.
I'll check later, but I was under the impression that Hifi Cast was for local media, rather than subscription services. (Sorry, should have made it clear that's the requirement.)

Sorry for the late addition, but I'm a Raumfeld connector owner who's not been using it for a while and I'm wondering if/how I can play audio from YouTube out wirelessly from an iPhone or Mac?

Use the YouTube App on your iPhone and use Google Chrome on your Mac. Both should offer an option to cast to the Raumfeld. Clearly a device supporting AirPlay would be simpler.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom