Converting PC internal CD rewriter to external.

pompeyexile

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a boxed unused Liteon LTR-52327S CD-RW Drive I bought many moons ago to replace two worn out cd drives in an old now long departed PC. I now have a laptop with no CD drive but need to burn over 1600 CD's onto my iTunes on my NAS so I can access them through my Sonos system. Whilst I know external CD burners are cheap I thought I could utilise the Liteon.

I have seen disc enclosures and USB3.0 to IDE/Sata adaptors but need some guidance.
1. Can I do this?
2. What adaptor would I need?
3. Does the adaptor just need to have the power and DATA (called Host Interface on the Liteon) socket?
4. Would the Digital or Analogue audio sockets on the Liteon be uneccesary?

I know I would need an enclosure for it to sit in but again I'm not sure if there is something ready made on the market or I could just build my own out of nice wood to keep it secure and not to utilitarian looking.

i know it sounds a lot of faff when external CD drives are so cheap but the Liteon seems built like a tank and it would be a shame not to use it if I can.

Many thanks for your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1620.JPG
    IMG_1620.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1621.JPG
    IMG_1621.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1622.JPG
    IMG_1622.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 42
You will need to use one of these as you require the voltage, normally supplied by your PC's PSU, to provide that power externally. The connector on your CD is IDE type which is supplied by the adapter kit. There is no need to enclose the CD in a box, just plug it into the adapter and connect the power with the plug provided.

External Hard Drive Converter USB 3.0 to IDE & SATA Adapter Kit UK | eBay

As you say a lot a faffing about but that's your call.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks techquest and LV426 for such a quick response, it is much appreciated. I'll bow to your superior knowledge and experience and go for the inexpensive usb CD drive.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom