Coronavirus - do you trust the UK Government to make the right decisions ?

Coronavirus - do you trust the UK government to make the right decisions?

• Yes

Votes: 130 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 414 76.1%

• Total voters
I can see this happening here (in England) before too long:

Our local Co-op has already said they won’t enforce it, people can come in at their own risk without a mask. But it’s not their own risk, it’s the risk to everybody else, since the masks are there to prevent spread, not protect from others (unless you have a full N95 mask).

I get that it’s a police matter to enforce, but I feel this is the wrong stance to take. they should be referring every instance of non-compliance to the police, in my view.

Our local Co-op has already said they won’t enforce it, people can come in at their own risk without a mask. But it’s not their own risk, it’s the risk to everybody else, since the masks are there to prevent spread, not protect from others (unless you have a full N95 mask).

I get that it’s a police matter to enforce, but I feel this is the wrong stance to take. they should be referring every instance of non-compliance to the police, in my view.

In many ways, it's easier to get the shops to enforce it. Limits the needs for police complaints focused on individuals - they can instead focus on shops and their owners. The shops may not like that - but it unfortunately makes sense from a scale point of view.

Have to say, if it was mandatory here and the local Sainsbury's didn't enforce, I'd definitely stop going there. Sends a bad message about how serious they're taking it, IMO.

So we'll just be late to the party once again. More dither and delay whilst everyone else makes positive moves.

Unsurprising.
The lack of leadership demonstrated in relation to this pandemic by Johnson is only surpassed by Trump. Although it’s becoming a close call and a race to the bottom!

In many ways, it's easier to get the shops to enforce it. Limits the needs for police complaints focused on individuals - they can instead focus on shops and their owners. The shops may not like that - but it unfortunately makes sense from a scale point of view.

Have to say, if it was mandatory here and the local Sainsbury's didn't enforce, I'd definitely stop going there. Sends a bad message about how serious they're taking it, IMO.
I guess the shops don’t want to risk confrontation with customers. I still believe they should be trying to educate people though, rather than just stepping back.

[Manadatory face covering]

Today was the first day I've worn one to shop. Only one person, of about 30 in Aldi, didn't have one on.

....and while I remember, I'll thank Morrison's for having hand santiser stations throughout the store now.

Just be aware though that there are exclusions and people are not being issued with exemption letters. It's akin to people judging whether someone merits a blue badge or not.

Interesting article...

’Why are we not wearing masks in the UK?’

’If we want more people to do so, we need consistency from government, but also a moral framing of the reasons for wearing them’

'We should also probably take on board that, as Professor Mills put it':

"Internationally people are just shaking their heads about why is this still a discussion here. It (the UK) is becoming a bit of an embarrassment in the scientific community"

Edit: try this link

0F8A5C74-92E0-4955-B788-5EA4E66E1878.jpeg

Last edited:
Lo and behold:

Oh and:

Not to mention:

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has urged Britons to go back to work if they can, in a change of position.

Speaking earlier during an online session of People's PMQs, Mr Johnson said it was "very important" people go back to work now "if they can", adding he wanted the public to do this as "carefully as possible".

He said the public had followed the government's earlier mantra to "stay at home if you can", but it was now time they followed the message of "go back to work if you can".

He said it was "very important" people try to live their lives "more normally" and for people to feel "confident" to go to shops, restaurants and back to work, provided "we all follow the guidance".

Where's that "heavy sigh" emoji?

I get that we'd have no say in any negotiations, but do our government really believe the buying power of the UK will negotiate a better deal then the one the EU can get? There's also no guarantee we won't be left with nothing if the suppliers think the EU deal is better than what we can offer.

Cutting off our nose to spite our face again, in my opinion.

I edited my post just before you posted:

"If on the other hand the EU is asking us to join into a European initiative, then I think we'd be silly not to sign up. "

Bit silly that one, assuming a vaccine isn't available until 2021 at the earliest we won't be in the EU.

If on the other hand the EU is asking us to join into a European initiative, then I think we'd be silly not to sign up.

It's an interesting choice.

One the one hand, the government can pool risk and protect public health.

On the other, the government can project a vision of a "world beating" Britain that can go it alone.

Which do you think they'll choose?

More nonsense...

‘Coronavirus: Government quietly publishes figures which reveal it overstated number of people tested’

‘The government was routinely overstating the total number of people who had been tested for COVID-19 by as many as 200,000 at the height of the coronavirus pandemic, according to new Sky News analysis’

Coronavirus: Government quietly publishes figures which reveal it overstated number of people tested — Sky News

I think it's now safe to assume that everything this government tells us is a lie.

It's an unending torrent. It's overwhelming, but that's probably the point. How can we keep up? Maybe it's just me, but I'm struggling to recall an honest statement this government has made.

Johnson lies every week at PMQs. Blatantly. He doesn't care. He has no shame or conscience.

Johnson will keep lying because he's learned that lying has no consequence. In fact it's worse. Lying has been to his advantage. He's been sacked for lying twice and only moved upward.

Now he has the most important and prestigious job in the UK, while his puppet master accesses our highest level security services, with no vetting. Meanwhile, Grayling gets a job with the word intelligence in the title, while Johnson decides the government should seize control of the NHS, for no doubt malign purposes.

They're taking the **** out of us and nobody seems to care.

I think it's now safe to assume that everything this government tells us is a lie.

It's an unending torrent. It's overwhelming, but that's probably the point. How can we keep up? Maybe it's just me, but I'm struggling to recall an honest statement this government has made.

Johnson lies every week at PMQs. Blatantly. He doesn't care. He has no shame or conscience.

Johnson will keep lying because he's learned that lying has no consequence. In fact it's worse. Lying has been to his advantage. He's been sacked for lying twice and only moved upward.

Now he has the most important and prestigious job in the UK, while his puppet master accesses our highest level security services, with no vetting. Meanwhile, Grayling gets a job with the word intelligence in the title, while Johnson decides the government should seize control of the NHS, for no doubt malign purposes.

They're taking the **** out of us and nobody seems to care.

You are spot on to be honest mate.

And the bit I've highlighted is key.

Even the media is struggling to keep up. We move onto so many different things daily, it's impossible to keep up. We're fully immersed in the post truth era now.

Gotta love us Brits.. we love to moan and groan but do nothing about it...
just shut up and join the back of the queue won’t you...
We all agree with what most of us are saying... but what can change this? what will you do.. right now or soon etc that’ll make a difference??
ps I don’t have an answer to that question.. and if you do i would vote for you.... we’ll.... maybe...

Gotta love us Brits.. we love to moan and groan but do nothing about it...
just shut up and join the back of the queue won’t you...
We all agree with what most of us are saying... but what can change this? what will you do.. right now or soon etc that’ll make a difference??
ps I don’t have an answer to that question.. and if you do i would vote for you.... we’ll.... maybe...

It'd be a start if people woke up and gave a damn. Significant numbers of people clearly don't, since polling indicates that Johnson would win another election if held tomorrow.

As I argued above, lying has consistently benefited Johnson. If he can lie so brazenly and consistently, and maintain a polling lead, what incentive is there for Johnson to tell the truth? What example does this set for everyone else, in public office or otherwise? He's a natural liar, too. It comes as second nature. He's been doing this his whole life.

I'd suggest Johnson's presence in No. 10 profoundly damages the institutions of government, along with public trust. That damage may be more widespread if others emulate Johnson's behaviour. These issues have bearing on the government's Covid-19 response, because confidence in government influences public action and compliance.

What I don't get is why this requires Government interference. Surely the sensible thing to do was to wear a respirator originally during the peak and now continue that habit with a mask.

LOL I've even had people comment at me and my family when we were last weekend in Aldeburgh/Thorpeness. Well more fool them.

This is the new normal.
6FE3528D-52F6-40FD-ABD9-A2300C16105D_1_201_a.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom