Coronavirus - do you trust the UK Government to make the right decisions ?

Coronavirus - do you trust the UK government to make the right decisions?

• Yes

Votes: 130 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 414 76.1%

• Total voters

simonblue

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
At the moment,they seem a bit weak,just talk about this action plan and that,but nothing positive & decisive :(

Definition of decisive action

: an action or actions done quickly and with confidence.
.In emergency situations, one must be able to take decisive action

Its a bit difficult - what decisive action should they take?. Close the borders?, curfews?, shut down public transport?, close all pubs and entertainment venues?, shut down all sporting events?, introduce rationing?.

Given that there is no prospect of a cure for this for at least a year then you have to balance the damage done to peoples lives from shutting down the economy (remember that thousands have already lost their jobs with many more to come) with the risk of death, for which nobody is too sure at the moment.

Tricky indeed.
It's easier to just let everyone get it, get over it, some old folks die, and we move on, and put it behind us.
Not be surprised if that is the plan, behind closed doors, but you can't admit to this, so you need to do things the public see that shows you care.

Maybe start with some little things,like if a minister said he been in contact with the supermarket,make sure here has.
At the moment there are still 3 direct flies from Iran per week,most believe they haven't been honest,about what's happening their,maybe a ban ?
Look at how other country dealing with it, is there we can learn ?

Tricky indeed.
It's easier to just let everyone get it, get over it, some old folks die, and we move on, and put it behind us.
Not be surprised if that is the plan, behind closed doors, but you can't admit to this, so you need to do things the public see that shows you care.

But if the numbers of old people dying,goes way up,it could be bad for the Conservative,as they have been seen as the backbone of Conservative Support. ?

Maybe start with some little things,like if a minister said he been in contact with the supermarket,make sure here has.
At the moment there are still 3 direct flies from Iran per week,most believe they haven't been honest,about what's happening their,maybe a ban ?
Look at how other country dealing with it, is there we can learn ?
Like which country? How is the U.K. being different than say most other Western European countries?

But if the numbers of old people dying,goes way up,it could be bad for the Conservative,as they have been seen as the backbone of Conservative Support. ?
I think you find there was quite a majority last election...But a conservative can’t do anything right in your opinion anyway can they ;)

Like which country? How is the U.K. being different than say most other Western European countries?

I think you find there was quite a majority last election...But a conservative can’t do anything right in your opinion anyway can they ;)

There was a video on yesterday,where the person in disease control was pointing a few counties that maybe we should be just looking as a model.

I rarely go on political threads,i don't think i have said to much about any party,and to hosent i think if labour had won,that they would of handled it any better.

:)

There was a video on yesterday,where the person in disease control was pointing a few counties that maybe we should be just looking as a model.

The country that has had most success is Singapore but that has specific attributes that allow that success that I dont think are quickly transferable to the UK (or any other Western democracy).

The level of government control over peoples lives in Singapore wouldn't be acceptable in the UK and there is a culture of cleanliness that has been promoted over decades, but that is supported by an army of low cost Asian labour who clean everything that doesn't move.

The country that has had most success is Singapore but that has specific attributes that allow that success that I dont think are quickly transferable to the UK (or any other Western democracy).

The level of government control over peoples lives in Singapore wouldn't be acceptable in the UK and there is a culture of cleanliness that has been promoted over decades, but that is supported by an army of low cost Asian labour who clean everything that doesn't move.

Sorry but he an expert in his field,and i thought he had some very good things to say,we can ignore people like that at are own peril :(

Sorry but he an expert in his field,and i thought he had some very good things to say,we can ignore people like that at are own peril :(

I'm not saying ignore the guy just that you cannot simply say that we should do what Singapore does. For example they have made it a criminal offence to violate a 14 day quarantine for which you can be jailed for up to 6 months. Another thing they are doing is cancelling visas for foreign workers who fail to comply with health officials.

I would be surprised if the introduction of both of those policies was acceptable to the UK.

Lombardy is larger than Wales - its rather different saying that you must remain in an area where the shops and bars are still open compared to isolating yourself in your own house.

Yes, I trust the Government to make the right decisions. We are in times where very few have actual practical experience of situations like these.

It is easy to say in hindsight to lock everything down, but everything means everything. That would be worse than joining together and fighting this thing when it lands.

Either way the government has access to a lot more experts and information than any of us has. The worse thing we can do at the moment is arguing with them and pretend to know better.

Its difficult as we live in a democracy for any government to impose overnight strict regulations on people. We are also living in a world were people expect to do whatever they see is right and proper providing its not illegal, this has made a great slice of our population deeply selfish across the board, take the guy who went out and purchased £200 of bog rolls, without so much as thought for anyone else needs.
It doesn't stop there , so I applaud the supermarkets for trying to impose limits on what these morons want to buy. Covid-19 is not Ebola its flu and yes some people will catch it and unfortunately die, they may also have caught normal flu and died, we will never know, All this hysteria is from and bred from the very same deeply selfish people, who have deep seated sense of entitlement and expect and do whatever they want, so in a nutshell are key drivers to the spread.
Talking rubbish? have you seen the way people drive these days, they don't give the slightest shit about anyone else, this translates across the board, we live in a im alright Jack society, with that as a starting point how can any government impose/regulate peoples attitudes and behaviour?

Covid-19 is NOT flu... Just saying...

No.

They talk a good talk, but the action is lacking.

You can't say that you'll do everything possible and then not even provide inbound screening at airports. Even Russia is doing this.

If the government loses trust, then we're really in trouble. They initially chose to hide infection numbers until the WHO told them this degrades public trust which is critical for getting public buy in on future tough action.

I fear this government specifically will choose spin and optics over action. You can't spin your way out of a pandemic. Honesty, clarity, and decisive action are critical and not something I've learnt to except from this administration.

In our government's defence, at least we're not the US where the moron in chief is telling Americans everyone will get a test and then health providers have to discreetly tell patients, their president lied to them and they won't get tested. Now that's a royal cluster****.

In our government's defence, at least we're not the US where the moron in chief is telling Americans everyone will get a test and then health providers have to discreetly tell patients, their president lied to them and they won't get tested. Now that's a royal cluster****.
Agree, we could potentially all rush out and get a test tomorrow, for what benefit? it wont stop peeps getting it and there is no cure for circa 10 months so having a test is just a complete waste of time and potentially takes you nearer to people who are possibly infected.

Agree about Singapore, I have been there many times, and there is a particular culture and an acceptance of government control that means they have been particularly successful, and that would not necessarily work here. They told people to self isolate and work from home and people just did it, not just think “I feel fine” and carry on regardless of anyone else. People don’t even drop litter there, there is a sense of social responsibility completely lacking from our culture.

Seems to me I have heard lots of talk, but very little action from our government so far. For example, things I think they should do, in fact should have already done weeks ago:

Cancel all flights to known affected areas, immediately. As an absolute minimum all incoming passengers should be given a temperature screen - this was implemented many weeks ago at Singapore Changi airport. I would go further though and require mandatory testing before anyone gets on a flight to anywhere. Mandatory requirement for proof of a recent test for any non-UK citizen coming in to the UK. All UK citizens to be tested on return and required to self-quarantine until results are available.

All large group activities over 100 people to be cancelled or postponed for minimum of 1 month. This is a tough call, but while people need to go shopping, need to go to work and school, no-one “needs“to go to a gig, club, sports event, conference or whatever.

In fact and Italy-style action taken now might actually stop the virus in it’s tracks before we get to the level of infection and deaths seen there. With our generally older population, Britain is particularly vulnerable to this virus, if it really takes hold and strong action early will still be less painful than even stronger measures later.

I had the misfortune to be dragged kicking and screaming by the wife on a weekend shopping mission to Sainsbury's on Saturday, and virtually every other shopper was an elderly person with at least one and more usually two shopping trolleys loaded to the brim with bog rolls, packets of pasta and those Fray Bentos steak thingys I've always known as Land Mine Pies.
Now I'm not being funny, but the use-by date on these products is something like August 2058.
In fact I heard an item on Radio Four the other week where they found some corned beef tins on a merchant ship that went down off Scapa Flow during the Second World War and they were perfectly edible.
If there's one sector of the population that really doesn't need to stock up on non-perishables it's folks in their 90's - all they're doing is making work for the poor sods who have to do the house clearance when they pop their clogs in September.
I'm half expecting to read the newspaper headline shortly - 'Hundred Year Old Pensioner Killed In Cellar By Falling Pallet Of Baked Beans'.
It's a nasty bout of flu - if you get it you'll feel awful for a week then you'll be fine.
Unless you're currently loitering in God's waiting room in which case you'll die.
But I suppose it's a convenient distraction to scare the great unwashed for Boris so they don't ask any awkward questions such as why we don't currently have a trading agreement with anyone other than the Cayman Islands.
And it gives Muslims a bit of respite in the Daily Mail's constant 'Who You Should Hate This Week' blame game.

I had the misfortune to be dragged kicking and screaming by the wife on a weekend shopping mission to Sainsbury's on Saturday, and virtually every other shopper was an elderly person with at least one and more usually two shopping trolleys loaded to the brim with bog rolls, packets of pasta and those Fray Bentos steak thingys I've always known as Land Mine Pies.
Now I'm not being funny, but the use-by date on these products is something like August 2058.
In fact I heard an item on Radio Four the other week where they found some corned beef tins on a merchant ship that went down off Scapa Flow during the Second World War and they were perfectly edible.
If there's one sector of the population that really doesn't need to stock up on non-perishables it's folks in their 90's - all they're doing is making work for the poor sods who have to do the house clearance when they pop their clogs in September.
I'm half expecting to read the newspaper headline shortly - 'Hundred Year Old Pensioner Killed In Cellar By Falling Pallet Of Baked Beans'.
It's a nasty bout of flu - if you get it you'll feel awful for a week then you'll be fine.
Unless you're currently loitering in God's waiting room in which case you'll die.
But I suppose it's a convenient distraction to scare the great unwashed for Boris so they don't ask any awkward questions such as why we don't currently have a trading agreement with anyone other than the Cayman Islands.
And it gives Muslims a bit of respite in the Daily Mail's constant 'Who You Should Hate This Week' blame game.
Nailed it

Well the obvious thing the government could do if it really was serious and more importantly, had the support of the population, is to do what any Island does during a pandemic and isolate itself. That means stopping all travel in and restricting imports.

Sounds good but I have my doubts that would be acceptable tbh.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom