Coronavirus - do you trust the UK Government to make the right decisions ?

Coronavirus - do you trust the UK government to make the right decisions?

• Yes

Votes: 130 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 414 76.1%

• Total voters
A number of posts describe what it is that motivates the government. In the absence of supporting documentation, this is entirely speculative.

There is enough to discuss that is known. It's not necessary and not particularly useful (imo) to speculate about unknown or unknowable motives.

It's rare that someone documents their motivation. When they do their accounts are heavily spun. So yes, there's inevitably a speculative element to this.

I look to issues of character.

Johnson's heavily motivated by self interest. He seems otherwise inclined to do as little as possible. He's hardly known for his work ethic, or attention to detail. So again, yes, I'd imagine he's had enough of this already.

This isn't what Johnson signed up for. He wanted the status and plaudits but none of the work. Look to anyone who's known Johnson and commented on his character if in doubt.

Ironically, the Covid-19 crisis presents Johnson with an enormous opportunity to appear Churchillian. Few people are making such comparison.

Sunak does appear to be the brightest spark and he's Chancellor. But he's sadly proven now that he's nothing more than a drone as well, so we may as well have Patel doing the numbers.

.... and the numbers don't look pretty

It's rare that someone documents their motivation. When they do their accounts are heavily spun. So yes, there's inevitably a speculative element to this

More than an element, I'd say.

You could attribute almost any motive to the government, if you wanted to, because there is nothing that would definitively disprove it. Given that anything fits, the exercise of motive attribution is neither particularly interesting nor fruitful.

It's not necessary, either. There is so much that we can talk about without speculating wildly that there is no need to do so.

He's a joke. I care nothing for the politics of it, any PM who can't answer a question nor knows absolutely fudge all about the situation we're in, shouldn't be anywhere near the position of "leading" us.

It's a national embarrassment.

I never saw it tbh but think i'll go and try and find it as i'm seeing pics all over twitter that he was wearing an earpiece and presumably being coached which would be extraordinary if true

I never saw it tbh but think i'll go and try and find it as i'm seeing pics all over twitter that he was wearing an earpiece and presumably being coached which would be extraordinary if true

Spicer will have a field day with this one then :D

On a serious note though it wouldn't surprise me if he did have an earpiece. He needs someone to help him.

Didn't look like it was actually any aid though. Starmer destroys him on all subjects even when he's got assistance :laugh:

No answer to the track and trace system either, with some more of the "trace" team revealing they're being paid to sit on the arses as there's nothing for them to do.

World beating indeed.

That just shows his left shoulder seen through his right ear from that angle. Exactly what I'd expect to see.

Last edited:
Dido Harding, straight off the bat for an operational world beating system -

"I'm sorry, I can't give you any basic figures."

Tremendous.

More than an element, I'd say.

You could attribute almost any motive to the government, if you wanted to, because there is nothing that would definitively disprove it. Given that anything fits, the exercise of motive attribution is neither particularly interesting nor fruitful.

It's not necessary, either. There is so much that we can talk about without speculating wildly that there is no need to do so.
I don't have to speculate wildly.

There are many accounts of Johnson's character and work ethic.

Character witnesses include his former Classics tutor, former employers as a journalist (one of whom sacked him for lying), to people within government. Their accounts are remarkably consistent, too. I could also point to the Darius Guppy incident, among others Eddie Mair discussed with Johnson in interview. I'd say there's plenty of evidence in regard to Johnson's character.

We accept character witnesses and references as points of legality and employability. If they're good enough for the courts and employers they're surely good enough for AVForums.

Last edited:

On a serious note though it wouldn't surprise me if he did have an earpiece. He needs someone to help him.

Didn't look like it was actually any aid though. Starmer destroys him on all subjects even when he's got assistance :laugh:

No answer to the track and trace system either, with some more of the "trace" team revealing they're being paid to sit on the arses as there's nothing for them to do.

World beating indeed.

If it's Barnard castle for an eye test i wonder where he's going for his hearing test :rotfl:

Thank you Boris and the government for bringing us through this terrible situation. This is despite the very worse of the media, press and social media doing everything it can to have the exact opposite happen.

While the sadness for the people who have been a victim of the virus is great, the amount of people getting it unintentionally and no fault of their own looks hopefully to starting to come down. Unfortunately its going to be replaced by people self infecting themselves through their arrogance, ignorance and disregard for other humans and for these people I will have no sympathy whatsoever.

World beating indeed.

Hate to disappoint you rich, but:

Video: Johnson does NOT appear to be wearing an earpiece :smashin:

I doubt we could beat @Philly112 's, that was inspired :)

Did I say he isn't an idiot? He wasn't wearing an ear piece, a chance for humour is regrettably lost.

No need to froth at the mouth about it.

You've got it wrong, you wrote 'bad' when you meant 'good', as per the article.
Unless it's a Freudian slip 😁
That was The Telegraph’s words...

an interesting section from this article:

‘To help lift lockdown the Government recently launched its new Test and Trace strategy, hailed by Boris Johnson as “world leading”. But the scheme has already got off to a rocky start with leaked documents showing fewer than half the people whose details have been handed to the scheme because they are at risk of coronavirus have been contacted’

“I think there's lots of evidence that the Cummings affair has really eroded trust in the government's handling of the (pandemic) because of the unclear messaging,” Prof McKee said.
“And that of course hasn't been helped by the growing evidence that the government is no longer following the science.”

‘He said this is based on Sage members who have publicly criticised the Government’s handling of the Cummings incident’

an interesting section of this article:

‘To help lift lockdown the Government recently launched its new Test and Trace strategy, hailed by Boris Johnson ase “world leading”. But the scheme has already got off to a rocky start with leaked documents showing fewer than half the people whose details have been handed to the scheme because they are at risk of coronavirus have been contacted’

Well I believe we got another target today anyway :laugh: :facepalm:

Test turnaround of 24hrs by the end of June?

That should have been in place now I would have thought, what with the trace system "operational" and the lockdown easing?

Otherwise how are we going to be effective in preventing a second wave with everyone out and about on a jolly?

Also very serious questions with regard to this 14 day Quarantine, with even Vallance's answer not making any sense....

Plus the House of Commons are united against it it would seem.

an interesting section from this article:

I think you need to re read what you wrote in bold. Not that it's worth falling out over, but empires have collapsed over smaller errors.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom