Could you do weekend without basic tech?

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No phone.
No internet.
No mobile phone connection.
No using smart apps on TVs.

I suspect for some folk, a complete bloody joy.
The freedom of being untethered!

:)

Happens to most Vodafone customers as soon as they leave the house, except the phone network, that doesn't work inside houses

I'd find it odd....but I'd happily spend my time in the garden or around the house doing some DIY stuff.

I did it for 16 hours last week, as i was in a mountain refuge.

99% of the time when I go anywhere I leave the phone behind and have been doing it for about 12 months now.

There are loads of meme's like 'could you live in this log cabin with no internet for £1,000,000'.
Could I? Where do I sign up?

Tech is good, it has its uses, but most of the time is a bloody nuisance. And the rest of the time, its pointless. 95% of my emails are spam adverts. The other 5 % could be work related that can (and do) wait. And some personal emails that may or may not be interesting.

If I want to watch something on the tele, or a film, I have to consciously leave my phone or iPad out of reach. If not, I find myself browsing the internet or whatever and don't concentrate. The Mrs Flashy goes mad because I start asking her what's happening (though this is usually phrased by me as the writing of the show being bad...).

So, a weekend without internet or gadgetry beyond the TV? No problem. Sounds nice, actually.

If I want to watch something on the tele, or a film, I have to consciously leave my phone or iPad out of reach. If not, I find myself browsing the internet or whatever and don't concentrate. The Mrs Flashy goes mad because I start asking her what's happening (though this is usually phrased by me as the writing of the show being bad...).

So, a weekend without internet or gadgetry beyond the TV? No problem. Sounds nice, actually.
Opposite here.

She suggests watching a film. Put the film on.. within 5mins shes on her phone not paying attention... 30mins into the film i'll get a "well this film is crap" comment. Even though she's only watched about 40% of the actual film.

Opposite here.

She suggests watching a film. Put the film on.. within 5mins shes on her phone not paying attention... 30mins into the film i'll get a "well this film is crap" comment. Even though she's only watched about 40% of the actual film.
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I do. Without a doubt, since getting an iPhone six-and-a-half years ago, my attention span has dropped enormously.

This could only work for me if I was say away for the weekend with my wife. Even then I'd miss foursquare, insta and snapchat....

I'd survive if suitably distracted elsewhere.

Is this an Age / Generation thing?
I grew up without mobiles etc. I have been through the introduction and development of them and I can see what life is like with and without them. My kids have known no different, so can't make the choice or judgement about what is best. Without Tech they see it as something being taken away.

A bit like Brexit. Younger people think they have had something taken away that they need, yet others with knowledge of before and after can see which is best... ;)

If I was actually out doing something then yes.

No problem.

Often the case when i go hiking in Snowdonia/Scotland/The Lakes.

Yes

I do blog a lot though and tech is a normal part of my weekends.

Sounds like a weekend at SENTA Sennybridge.

I've just spent the weekend away camping so I've been without all the mod con's since Thursday. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be because I was busy during the days, but if I hadn't had anything else to keep me busy like that I think I would have struggled to be honest.

No phone.
No internet.
No mobile phone connection.
No using smart apps on TVs.

I suspect for some folk, a complete bloody joy.
The freedom of being untethered!

:)
Easily, except nowadays I prefer to have a phone with calls and text connection for absolute emergencies. No social calls or texts though. Being off net doesn't bother me in the slightest :)

We went to a log cabin by the lake in Cornwall for a week last summer, and it was one of my requests that once we arrived, no tech for the week. My wife was the only one that broke after a few days tbh, which surprised me, as she's normally the one to shun tech. In her defence, she was looking for things to do, as her wet-weather plan didn't have 4 days of wet-weather activities...

The 10yr old and I coped fine, and we're the geeks.

Maybe if it was sponsored and for a good cause.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom