Question CPU temperature issue

kj4547

Novice Member
Reaction score
So I have the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor, built the pc yesterday (2nd pc build). Everything with my first pc build runs good and no issues, even in AAA games at high resolution. The problem is with the second one I built yesterday, with the same-ish parts, even in windows 10 on idle (only ryzen master or HWmonitor open) the cpu temperatures keep spiking up and then down Example: it goes from 50 to 65 degrees, and even up to 87 degrees (with nothing open except temperature monitors). For reference, the first pc has stayed at 40-50 degrees when using normally, even when gaming it does not get as high as the 2nd pc's cpu.

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Same motherboard?

How does it behave under load? If they're genuine readings you'd expect the CPU clockspeed to drop (throttling) as it approached 90-100.

So I have the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor, built the pc yesterday (2nd pc build). Everything with my first pc build runs good and no issues, even in AAA games at high resolution. The problem is with the second one I built yesterday, with the same-ish parts, even in windows 10 on idle (only ryzen master or HWmonitor open) the cpu temperatures keep spiking up and then down Example: it goes from 50 to 65 degrees, and even up to 87 degrees (with nothing open except temperature monitors). For reference, the first pc has stayed at 40-50 degrees when using normally, even when gaming it does not get as high as the 2nd pc's cpu.

Any advice appreciated.

have you tried to re-mount the cpu cooler?

what voltage is the cpu pulling in hw monitor?

I would remove the CPU cooler and reseat with new thermal paste.

What type of cooler do you have. With an aio you might have air trapped somewhere and it’s not working as efficiently. If you do then try turning the PC, even as far as upside down they try it again.

Same motherboard?

How does it behave under load? If they're genuine readings you'd expect the CPU clockspeed to drop (throttling) as it approached 90-100.

I tested it on a 4k youtube video, to see how it runs, on a 24 inch 1080p monitor.
I did the same test on my first pc, on a 27 inch, 1440x2560 resolution, runs much cooler. Even in games, has no issues

Motherboards are the same in both PCs. MSI b450 gaming pro carbon ac

Attachments

• Capture7.PNG
    Capture7.PNG
    910.9 KB · Views: 53
  • pc1.PNG
    pc1.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
What type of cooler do you have. With an aio you might have air trapped somewhere and it’s not working as efficiently. If you do then try turning the PC, even as far as upside down they try it again.
I'm just using the stock coolers on both PCs, this is a picture of the one with the high cpu temp

Attachments

• 20200620_201739.jpg
    20200620_201739.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 62
I tested it on a 4k youtube video, to see how it runs, on a 24 inch 1080p monitor.
I did the same test on my first pc, on a 27 inch, 1440x2560 resolution, runs much cooler. Even in games, has no issues

that is not under load.

you need to download something like cinebench r20 which is a quick benchmark application to push your cpu. in hw monitor, you need to look at what clock speed your cpu is and see if it's throttling

that is not under load.

you need to download something like cinebench r20 which is a quick benchmark application to push your cpu. in hw monitor, you need to look at what clock speed your cpu is and see if it's throttling

I just got cinebench, on the pc with temp issue I got a score of 3537 cb.

Last edited:
the score is irrelevant?

it loads your cpu. you need to monitor whats going on when running cinebench

the score is irrelevant?

it loads your cpu. you need to monitor whats going on when running cinebench
Thanks, I ran it again with HWmonitor open, picture of readings included, or if you meant with another program let me know.

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    924.5 KB · Views: 61
What’s the other one running the same load?

This picture is from the first one, second one jumps temperature randomly without nothing open. Not sure if I should remove the cooler and reseat it, or try some AAA games on it. The first one is one I built for myself and the second one is my partners. I built the second one yesterday.

Edited, spelling mistake

Attachments

• first pc.PNG
    first pc.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
So same fan speed and clock rate with a 4°C different in load temperature for a 4W different in package power.

Keep an eye on the a clockspeed graph to make sure it's not jumping up and down (by more than a few hundred megahertz) but that looks fine to me under load so it's likely just variation between CPUs, thermal paste applications and so on.

Update: I think I have temporarily solved the problem, I changed the ghz and voltage of the cpu manually, using ryzen master. Temperatures are stable now. I did try a few games before I changed the ghz and voltage and it was running at 90 degrees (not demanding games). Still planning to get a aftermarket cpu cooler :) , still don't understand why there is such a difference between the 1st PC and this one, since I used all the same parts (almost). Thanks everyone for the help and advice:)

I changed the stock cooler to a cooler master hyper 212 rgb black edition, added two extra fans into case too (total 6 case fans). Although there is a small improvement, the temperatures are still spiking up and down (on idle). Did an Aida64 stress test, had to stop it within a minute because it was staying at low 90s-95 degrees. I even updated the bios on the motherboard and did all the things I could find out. Could it be the cpu itsself causing the issues? I got it from Amazon so I could ask for a replacement, since it is less than a week old.

Attachments

• stabilitytest.png
    stabilitytest.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 111.PNG
    111.PNG
    59.4 KB · Views: 61
Don't worry about temperature. Until the clockspeed is getting throttled right down under load then it's not even close to overheating.

I wouldn't return it until you can identify a problem, not just quirky behaviour. It could well be another component making demands on the CPU.

What do the idle clockspeed graphs of both CPUs look like? If the quirky one ramping up a lot more than to other one, or going to a higher clockspeed?

Are they both the same CPU?

In which case why not try swapping the CPU between machines. If the quirky behaviour continues with one or the other you will have ruled out the CPU or that something else is at fault.

I included a video link when running Aida64. I don't understand the numbers, since these two are my first ever pc builds, but what I have noticed is the clock speeds are constantly high, even with just googe chrome running. They jump from 3600 to 4200. I don't know if this is normal or not.

Under heavy load a CPU will try and run at the highest clock speed it can (and that model is allowed to) which is limited by various power draw and heat related factors.

Generally speaking on this sort of enthusiast's setup you'd expect it to maintain base clock speed all day long and vary up to the maximum (boost speed) depending on the exact load. For the 3600 those figures are 3.6Ghz and 4.2Ghz so it's exactly what you're seeing.

If you were to continue to reduce the cooling you'd see the CPU drop to lower and lower frequencies under load and there'd eventually be a safety cut-off that shut it down before any damage is done. I'm not sure where that point is on Ryzen CPUs but I'd expect it to be around the 1Ghz point or less.

This is stock behaviour, fiddling about with overclocking may stop the throttling and have the CPU go straight for the safety shut down depending on exactly what you tweak.

When not under heavy load different systems kick in and the CPU will try and reduce clockspeed and voltage when they're not needed in order to save power.

Back to the issue at hand, the data left on the graph from before you started the video shows that CPU temperature is tracking frequency (particularly clear on the unified view at 2:45) and that they appear to be tracking CPU usage, although that's harder to tell as the two graphs are at different scales.

So the CPU temperature spikes are likely being caused by some software or some other component requesting CPU time on this one where it wasn't on the last.

What are the components that differ between the machines? Different hard drives for example can use different amounts of CPU.

Under heavy load a CPU will try and run at the highest clock speed it can (and that model is allowed to) which is limited by various power draw and heat related factors.

Generally speaking on this sort of enthusiast's setup you'd expect it to maintain base clock speed all day long and vary up to the maximum (boost speed) depending on the exact load. For the 3600 those figures are 3.6Ghz and 4.2Ghz so it's exactly what you're seeing.

If you were to continue to reduce the cooling you'd see the CPU drop to lower and lower frequencies under load and there'd eventually be a safety cut-off that shut it down before any damage is done. I'm not sure where that point is on Ryzen CPUs but I'd expect it to be around the 1Ghz point or less.

This is stock behaviour, fiddling about with overclocking may stop the throttling and have the CPU go straight for the safety shut down depending on exactly what you tweak.

When not under heavy load different systems kick in and the CPU will try and reduce clockspeed and voltage when they're not needed in order to save power.

Back to the issue at hand, the data left on the graph from before you started the video shows that CPU temperature is tracking frequency (particularly clear on the unified view at 2:45) and that they appear to be tracking CPU usage, although that's harder to tell as the two graphs are at different scales.

So the CPU temperature spikes are likely being caused by some software or some other component requesting CPU time on this one where it wasn't on the last.

What are the components that differ between the machines? Different hard drives for example can use different amounts of CPU.

Thanks for reply, I doubt it is a software issue, as I did reinstall windows when I had the stock cooler and there was no difference in temperature. The only thing that differs between the two pcs are the graphics cards, the problematic pc has a different case with more fans and an extra ssd drive. Specs for both below.

First pc specs:
PC CASE: MSI mag forge 100m
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC AM4 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GRAPHICS CARD: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Mech OC
MEMORY:Corsair vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
M.2 SSD: Corsair force series MP510 3D NAND 480GB M.2 2280 SSD NVME
EXTRA STORAGE: 2TB HDD
PSU: Corsair TX850M 850W power supply

Problematic pc specs:
PC CASE: Sahara P35
GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC
MEMORY: Corsair vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
SSD: Crucial 128GB

Thanks for reply, I doubt it is a software issue, as I did reinstall windows when I had the stock cooler and there was no difference in temperature. The only thing that differs between the two pcs are the graphics cards, the problematic pc has a different case with more fans and an extra ssd drive. Specs for both below.

First pc specs:
PC CASE: MSI mag forge 100m
GRAPHICS CARD: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Mech OC
MEMORY:Corsair vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 MHz

Problematic pc specs:
PC CASE: Sahara P35
GRAPHICS CARD: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC
MEMORY: Corsair vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
SSD: Crucial 128GB

Looking at both cases the MSI does appear to have much better airflow over the Sahara.

Looking at both cases the MSI does appear to have much better airflow over the Sahara.

Thanks for replying :) . Yes I did try removing the glass panel and back panel on the sahara case, to see if airflow was the issue, but I got the same results as with it on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom