Crackdown 3 Discussion

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member
Reaction score
That would be great. I loved the first crackdown, I even hunted down every single one of those bloody orbs :thumbsup:

Crackdown 2 lost the magic for me, I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. The main thing that ruined it for me was having to protect those generators from getting destroyed, that bit was beyond frustrating.

I hope Crackdown 3 will follow the same formula as the first, and if released will be a very nice exclusive IMO.

Sounds like good news.

I was very late to the party with Crackdown (bought it a few years after it came out) but when I played it I thought it was a great game, the mission types seemed the same but it was great fun collecting those orbs while running and jumping round the city.

I wasn't a huge fan of Crackdown 2 as they seemed to just replace the mission type of the original with setting off beacons and I really didn't like the mutant/zombie enemies.

Hopefully with time and a good developer behind it (not to say the previous developers were bad) I think it could be really good. If they take the open world, co-op and collecting aspect of the first and add in varied mission types, a bit of story, more crazy physics weapons and make it look next gen then I think it will be something really good.

Great news, loved the first game, was always annoyed that it was mainly marketed as "that freebie game with Halo". Never got the second as heard too many bad things about it.

Great news, loved the first game, was always annoyed that it was mainly marketed as "that freebie game with Halo". Never got the second as heard too many bad things about it.

They need to look at who the most top two or three developers are that have sold the most Xbox 360 games to date and ask them to work on Crackdown 3 and also get a few other teams just to make it stand out above the crowd. Yes its hard to do but with the right patience and co operation Crackdown 3 will be an essential purchase for Xbox One.

You can all quote me on this.

Just watched that Phil Spencer on some American chat show thing playing forza and ki - he was wearing a crackdown t-shirt.

Too many little visual clues about for this not to happen I reckon.

They need to look at who the most top two or three developers are that have sold the most Xbox 360 games to date and ask them to work on Crackdown 3 and also get a few other teams just to make it stand out above the crowd. Yes its hard to do but with the right patience and co operation Crackdown 3 will be an essential purchase for Xbox One.

You can all quote me on this.

I'd be over the moon if Rare did it (with some oversight from the makers of Crackdown 1). They have a big team and are first party so can really focus on getting the most out of the hardware and can add some subtle humour. Plus it would give Rare a chance to show they are not a casual only developer now and would help their image (of their current team) with core gamers. They also hired some ex-Codemasters staff recently so they should be able to get the driving down too.

Other than that I would like teams that have worked on open world games in the past. It would have to be a 3rd party developer not owned by a publisher so someone like Avalanche Studios (makers of Just Cause 2) might be able to do the world and tech (might need someone else to help with the story though). Gearbox would be good too if they put the same (or greater) amount of effort, time and resources as they do with the Borderlands series (as they can be hit or miss).

Last edited:
Just watched that Phil Spencer on some American chat show thing playing forza and ki - he was wearing a crackdown t-shirt.

Too many little visual clues about for this not to happen I reckon.

Yes i saw that pretty much confirms it for me.

I'd be over the moon if Rare did it (with some oversight from the makers of Crackdown 1). They have a big team and are first party so can really focus on getting the most out of the hardware and can add some subtle humour. Plus it would give Rare a chance to show they are not a casual only developer now and would help their image (of their current team) with core gamers. They also hired some ex-Codemasters staff recently so they should be able to get the driving down too.

Other than that I would like teams that have worked on open world games in the past. It would have to be a 3rd party developer not owned by a publisher so someone like Avalanche Studios (makers of Just Cause 2) might be able to do the world and tech (might need someone else to help with the story though). Gearbox would be good too if they put the same (or greater) amount of effort, time and resources as they do with the Borderlands series (as they can be hit or miss).

There is one more Crackdown 3 article listed below
Xbox 360 News: Ruffian's new game isn't Crackdown 3 - reveal adds weight to Ryse multiplayer rumours - Xbox 360 - The Official Magazine

Its obvious there is more than enough demand for Crackdown 3:thumbsup:

Just praying they do away with the whole mutant nonsense. Just cops and bad guys, that's all it needs. Mutants ruined 2 for me.

Crackdown 2 lost the magic for me, I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. The main thing that ruined it for me was having to protect those generators from getting destroyed, that bit was beyond frustrating.

That bit had just made me laugh out loud. Not because its funny just because I thought it was only me. That right annoyed me and also what I didn't like is when you did the boss level the annoying re spawning of all the bad guys I just wanted to go around in the buildings and stealth it and pick them or one by one. Instead is just run for it and hope for the best.

I did love getting the orbs and power ups so I could scale tall buildings ans leap around

Phil Spencer says the franchise isn't dead - Microsoft Exec: Crackdown Isn't Dead - IGN

Phil Spencer (taken from IGN interview) said:
Oh… Crackdown is one of my favorite games, and not just because it's a Microsoft first-party game, I have a lot of love for that franchise. The homage to Crackdown in the [May 21 event] reveal screenshots was… I know there was some, like, ‘Did we accidentally sneak that…?' It wasn't accidental. Definitely.

Phil Spencer (taken from IGN interview) said:
No, I don't think Crackdown is dead at all, It's a franchise that's still close to me. I think there's a lot of room, especially… For me, the natural progression for a game like Crackdown – and you see this showing up on our stage – is in these living, open worlds that live in the cloud.

I hope he isn't just messing with people. But going by his quotes, the agility orb image (at the Xbox One reveal event) and Crackdown t-shirt he wore on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon I think he does actually like Crackdown and has somewhat of a plan for a Crackdown 3.

Last edited:
What exactly is the problem with them getting a Crackdown 3 done for next gen?. They have had long enough since Crackdown 2 so why is it taking them this long?

There are still a few game shows before release. I'm MS and Sony have a few aces not yet revealed.

What exactly is the problem with them getting a Crackdown 3 done for next gen?. They have had long enough since Crackdown 2 so why is it taking them this long?

It might be taking them this long because they aren't making it??

Have some patience padowan. Next gen aint even out yet and you're moaning a game isnt made for it!!!!!

IIRC, the studio who developed the original Crackdown, Realtime Worlds, went into Liquidation. Another studio (Ruffian?) picked up the pieces and developed Crackdown [-]1.5[/-] 2. It hasn't been a smooth journey.

I never "got" Crackdown. Am I the only one?

Yes. :devil:

I never "got" Crackdown. Am I the only one?

Haven't played it either.

It was a breath of fresh air when it seemed that open world games could only be GTA clones Crackdown felt fast, platformey, shooty fun. The original played like a 3d 16bit platformer in which you could do everything you could in gta but with super powers. Its probably dated now but was great at launch especially as nobody was expecting it to be any good.

Bit like infamous?

I do hear good things about the first one mind.

infamous is a good comparison but Crackdown's speed, collectables, vehicles and platforming are superior to infamous.

It'll be interesting to see where they go with this, both in terms of story and gameplay.

What would be nice is a slight improvement in graphics, but a bigger sense of destruction.
Maybe something close to Red Faction?

It was a breath of fresh air when it seemed that open world games could only be GTA clones Crackdown felt fast, platformey, shooty fun. The original played like a 3d 16bit platformer in which you could do everything you could in gta but with super powers. Its probably dated now but was great at launch especially as nobody was expecting it to be any good.

Downloaded this at the weekend as it is free at the moment to Live Gold members.

I'd forgotten how great this is. It's aged well! Thoroughly enjoying it again and it will keep me going until Saints Row and GTA. :)

Downloaded this at the weekend as it is free at the moment to Live Gold members.

I'd forgotten how great this is. It's aged well! Thoroughly enjoying it again and it will keep me going until Saints Row and GTA. :)

I did the same thing but felt it had lost its magic for me and looked a tad dated, especially the menus. I loved the first crackdown. I put in a crazy amount of hours playing it and my hunt for orbs became a tad obsessive. Crackdown 2 was utter pants in comparison. If they can capture the essence of the first game with much improved graphics it`ll be a surefire winner thats for sure.

I did the same thing but felt it had lost its magic for me and looked a tad dated, especially the menus. I loved the first crackdown. I put in a crazy amount of hours playing it and my hunt for orbs became a tad obsessive. Crackdown 2 was utter pants in comparison. If they can capture the essence of the first game with much improved graphics it`ll be a surefire winner thats for sure.

The only thing that seemed bad about the original was how weak you are at the start.
Back when I first played it it didn't seem so bad.
And the follow up did seem more like an extended DLC rather than a full game.
It was still kind of fun though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom