Crazy low sound from Rec Out on Yamaha HTR-5640RDS

BatThinG

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought a headphone amplifier for my Yamaha HTR-5640RDS and it produces no sound when plugged into the Rec Out socket - currently i have it plugged into the headphone jack and it's working fine so I know the headphone amp (Schiit Magni 3) is fine.

I have a record player pre-amp, with a headphone jack, that i plugged into the Rec Out and i can JUST about hear the music through there but feel like could almost be just noise in the system being picked up.

Is there something I need to enable on the receiver to get this to work? I've looked in the manual and can't find anything in there about configuring the input for the Rec Out, it just seems to suggest it'll take any input and push it out the Rec Out. I've tried with both analogue and digital inputs. I'm wondering whether it might just be broken - I've had it for ages but it wasn't bought new so I've no idea if it was broken before.

Am i wasting my time worrying about it? Is plugging the amp into the headphone jack of the receiver even a problem?

Thanks!

Last edited:
It should work with Record Out. It's a pair of live RCA and is a fixed output. There is no set up for using the RO just plug and play. Could be faulty terminals. Without stating the obvious you do have it connected by a pair of RCA not just one?

Looking at the manual, pages 10-11 the only audio out is associated with video. I don't that is designed to work with audio only????

Last edited:
I would say that the output stage is faulty on the receiver unfortunately, whether or not it's worth you having it looked at is up to you. I use a headphone amp with my Rega stereo amp and it is such an easy connection that a faulty unit is the main reason for your problems

ok cheers, i'll open it up and see if there's a dry solder joint anywhere - hopefully something straightforward

ok cheers, i'll open it up and see if there's a dry solder joint anywhere - hopefully something straightforward
I don't get involved in that, too ham fisted.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom