Critical - Help Needed: Acer Aspire V5-571 No UEFI/Legacy Boot Menu or Secure Boot option

bbjlfvr

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am trying to clean install Win 10 on Acer V5-751 but whenever I come to 'Windows Setup' Drive allocation - format, delete, new section it says 'Windows can't be installed on this drive - The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks'.

I figured it was due to BIOS being in UEFI mode, so I have tried to change it to Legacy and disable 'Secure Boot' like on other laptops/bios. But unfortunately, I cannot find UEFI/Legacy Boot menu or Secure Boot disable/enable options on Boot tab of this specific Acer laptop. But only see Boot priority order sub-menu.

So I googled, youtubed everything I enable that option. Most suggestions say I have to set a Supervisor password on Security tab which I did and hit F10 to save and restart back to BIOS and it would show. But it didn't Also I have already enabled F12 Boot menu option in Main tab. Also I have used Rufus to create both GPT and MBR bootable usb flash win 10 but both doesnt work. Thus I have no idea how to install Windows 10. Please see attached photos and advice me how to make this work. Thank you, much appreciated.

I know I had a nightmare with something like this some years ago with my MB and SSD. It was all down to this little part "UEFI and Legacy" hidden in the bios. My drive wouldn't work for installation if this option was selected and would only boot it UEFI was selected alone within the bios even though it kept wanting to revert itself back to UEFI and Legacy after an F10 and bios reboot. I think I even had to remove the battery for a time

At the time, when this happened to me, finding the information was like finding gold dust, so mine was a trial and error though the bios.

I know it was also at the time I had issues with installing from a BootCD which I'd downloaded from Microsoft (which somehow installed Windows 10 home on the PC and only told me when I tried to enter my key in) to make matters even worse. I also found that my second download was corrupted. So in the end, I downloaded the file to the rom-drive and mounted it that way as that was the only way I could get it work from another PC.

I did try to get the USB working, but gave up on it as a bad job as the MB didn't even want to play. Bios flash resolved the issues afterwards thankfully although I've never tried the USB boot since - I think its put me off for life

Sometimes, you just have those moments with your PC eh! I'd been building, installing and programming PC's for 20 years by that point and never had such fun in all that time. It was like the day from hell in PC terms

Good luck!

I know I had a nightmare with something like this some years ago with my MB and SSD. It was all down to this little part "UEFI and Legacy" hidden in the bios. My drive wouldn't work for installation if this option was selected and would only boot it UEFI was selected alone within the bios even though it kept wanting to revert itself back to UEFI and Legacy after an F10 and bios reboot. I think I even had to remove the battery for a time

At the time, when this happened to me, finding the information was like finding gold dust, so mine was a trial and error though the bios.

I know it was also at the time I had issues with installing from a BootCD which I'd downloaded from Microsoft (which somehow installed Windows 10 home on the PC and only told me when I tried to enter my key in) to make matters even worse. I also found that my second download was corrupted. So in the end, I downloaded the file to the rom-drive and mounted it that way as that was the only way I could get it work from another PC.

I did try to get the USB working, but gave up on it as a bad job as the MB didn't even want to play. Bios flash resolved the issues afterwards thankfully although I've never tried the USB boot since - I think its put me off for life

Sometimes, you just have those moments with your PC eh! I'd been building, installing and programming PC's for 20 years by that point and never had such fun in all that time. It was like the day from hell in PC terms

Good luck!
So what is the solution in my case?
How do I bios flash from usb? I can only go into BIOS thats all, no OS installed cuz I formatted and deleted the partition that was installed.

As I had many issues, the UEFI was just one of them. Because of this, no one thing resolved it. To add to the problems, I also had two 5Tb drives plus the SSD which were also causing boot problems too. I had to detach the larger drives whilst fighting with the bios issue. I know I also removed the CMOS battery for about 20 seconds (trying not holding it as this drains battery which causes its own issues) which all together got one installation on the PC. This then enabled me to flash the bios with the MB software (many many hours did pass). As I mentioned, it was the worst installation experience I'd ever had and I've installed quite a few of Microsoft's operating software in my time with the exception of 3.1 and earlier to 2016 onwards and none of them ever came close

If you have only one PC, I would suggest you visit someone who will let you download windows 10 for your PC and a drive which will enable you to burn the software too disc

You'll need to use the download tool and make sure you pick ISO option for installation on another PC. I seem to remember that if you're using a Blank CD you have to be aware that one of the downloads has more data than a CD Rom holds (sadly I really cannot remember what this option is)

In all respect, Windows 10 should be as easy to install as counting 1,2,3, but when things are not playing especially at the bios level, its like trying to walk on water with lead weights attached to your body

As to lashing the bios, there are ways, but as I'm old school, I'd consult the manual for that motherboard. You'll also need to identify what version its on (it could be up to date) and there is always an element of risk involved with updating it to which could make the MB unrecoverable (thus binning it), so be warned plus being old school, I'd say its not something for a novice should be carrying out

Originally it was 500 GB HDD and I split in 2 Local Disk (C:) for OS and (D:) for storage.

Delete the other partition and the Windows installer will be able to reformat the disk to use a GPT partition table instead of MBR.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom