Quantcast

Crossover and Speaker Settings in Relation to Bass Management

Pretorian24

I will change the rest of the speakers to 80hz. I tried it yesterday and it sounds great. Not sure if I can HEAR a difference but it just "feels" good. Thanks for this! (Love my home cinema 🥰)

EDIT: I should do a test with the Blade Runner: 2049 soundtrack score. I know that my fronts almost left the room when playing that intro.
They should work "less" with these new settings, right?

Last edited:

gibbsy

EDIT: I should do a test with the Blade Runner: 2049 soundtrack core. I know that my fronts almost left the room when playing that intro.
They should work "less" with these new settings, right?
The receiver will be working so hard with all audio below 80hz being taken up by the sub. It can certainly help refine the mids and highs.

tcb82

Standard Member
This should have been done prior to running the AV receiver's calibration process. You need to do things in this order:

1. Configure the sub's own settings
  2. Run the AV receiver's calibration process
  3. Deal with and configure the AV receiver's bass management

As to the sub's own cnfiguration. Set it volume dial to about one third, set phase to 0° and set the frequency dial as high as it allows or to a dedicated LFE setting option if there is one. AS said, these settings all need to be done prior to running the calibration and should not be altered aftward unless you intend to rerun the calibration again.
I followed your guide, and used Audyssey setup. The result was that the fronts and the center was set to 40hz at crossover. Is that to low? Should I set it to 80hz?
Also, the fronts was set to Large. Should I set Them to Small?

And What about Sub. mode? LFE+main? Or just LFE?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Again, you should configure the bass management manually after running the calibration. You'd ifeally set all speakers as being SMALL and assign them crossovers no lower than 80Hz. If the calibration set speakers as SMALL and assigned them a crossover higher than 80Hz then it would be inadvisable to set the crossover lower than the setting the calibration determined, but there's nothing preventing you from manually setting these crossover higher than the calibration determined.

Sub should be set to the LFE setting and not to LFE + MAIN. The LFE + MAIN setting can give rise to bass boom.

alextheg

Over the last few years ive visited this thread with interest a number of times. Alas , ive ignored the advice given. Recently my wife has been complaining about the bass being too boomy. Now for me this isnt a problem , just a slight adjustment at the back of my REL T9 and everything is fine. Not something she wants to do and times when she has the sub settings end up shot to bits. This has arisen mostly with music , less so with movies.

For the last five years ive had the T9 hooked up exactly per REL instructions , using hi-level as well as LFE and for the most part had great results.

So today i finally took the advice of this thread. Disconnected the hi-level Speakon Neutrik cable. Ran an eight point calibration on my Yamaha RX A1070. The Yamaha set all speakers to large and 40hz crossover. I swiftly set all to small and 80hz. LFE gain on the T9 was set to 13 of 40 ( 1/3 ). The Yamaha set the sub level to -10db, a bit on the low side for me so i set it to -5db.

What followed was like an epithony. My system sounds like a whole new one . Im blown away by it. Movies and music just sound stunning. Everything is even and more natural sounding with plenty of punch. Literaly all five channels sound so much better.

Anyone in doubt of whether to follow the advice here , just do. The results will im sure surprise you. I now wonder though why REL are still giving such antiquated advice based on subs from years gone by. Bass management has obviously improved ten fold in AVR's nowadays. I for one will from now on let the AVR do its job .

While my T9 still sounds amazing , im suddenly feeling a tad curious to try something new...........

pure_geordie

Hello peoples, May I have some advice after purchasing some new kit please, I have a Denon AVR-X2600H and Focal sib evo 5.1.2 setup, Just wondering if anybody has advice on optimal setup on the sub for Frequency and crossover. also the setting for the speakers. I haven't connected them up yet but thought I'd just get a little feedback about this setup. I will and can use the Audyssey auto calibration but if there is any manual adjustments I need to make also please advise. Many thanks in advance. PG

evh22

Hi recently had the x2600 too and really pleased. I have KEF Q series 5.1.2 set-up.

Thanks to recommendations from Dante I ran Audyssey then in speaker settings changed speaker size from large to small.
All crossovers to 80hz and subwoofer to LFE only (@120hz).

Just check your speaker crossovers on manufactures spec don’t clash with above.

pure_geordie

Hi recently had the x2600 too and really pleased. I have KEF Q series 5.1.2 set-up.

Thanks to recommendations from Dante I ran Audyssey then in speaker settings changed speaker size from large to small.
All crossovers to 80hz and subwoofer to LFE only (@120hz).

Just check your speaker crossovers on manufactures spec don’t clash with above.
Thanks evh22 much appreciated.

robase007

Hi Dante,

I previously set all my speakers to small and 80hz but then recently purchased PMC speakers.

When I spoke to Rel they suggested that I am limiting the range of my speakers and that I run the high level neutrik cable in parallel with the LFE.1 cable
On the reciever, change the speakers from small to large and set the crossover on the reciever to 200HZ to send full range to the subwoofer,and then adjust the filter on the subwoofer to blend in with the left and rights speakers roll off of 27hz range.
I have played some movie tracks and music, and I must say is sounds superb.No booming at all and soundstage is very open and detailed.

PMC 25 24 27Hz - 25kHz
PMC 25 22 39Hz - 25kHz
PMC 25 Center 45Hz - 25kHz
Subwoofer REL 212
Reciever Arcam AVR 750

Can you advise if this is viable option to setting them small and 80hz?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Ignore what REL are suggesting. REL have an obsession with making both a low and a high level connection when only a low level connection is required. Just make the usual low level connection from the AV receiver's subwoofer pre out to the subwoofer's LFE RCA input. The guidance as far as bass management goes would be the same relative to your PMC speakers and REL sub as it would be using any other make of speakers and or sub.

Still set the speakers as being SMALL and use a crossover no lower than 80Hz.

alextheg

As a REL owner that ignored the advice of this thread for five years , I absolutely now believe you should follow Dante's advice . The improvement in sound across my whole system has been nothing short of astounding . Only wish I'd listened sooner. REL. Are getting this wrong , which is a shame as their subs are very good.

gibbsy

Forget REL's advice and just stick to LFE low level with a receiver. It's a different story if you want to connect a REL sub to a stereo amp by high level for music. It's takes a lot of time to get it right but when it is the results can be very good indeed. If you are just playing music through a receiver then LFE is more than sufficient.

alextheg

Totally agree with this. When I had my T9 wired the REL way I just couldn't get a happy medium . Music sounded great although occasional gain adjustment was required to alleviate boom. Movies became far too boomy but since just using LFE on the receiver , everything is just so. Receivers clearly do a good job of bass management these days .

robase007

Totally agree with this. When I had my T9 wired the REL way I just couldn't get a happy medium . Music sounded great although occasional gain adjustment was required to alleviate boom. Movies became far too boomy but since just using LFE on the receiver , everything is just so. Receivers clearly do a good job of bass management these days .
Thanks for all your advice. I’ll give it go and let you know.

Trending threads

Top Bottom