Crossover and Speaker Settings in Relation to Bass Management

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
I am not sure why the results are so inconsistant but as other have said the speakers/crossover should be set to small and start with 80hz.

I don't know your speakers but from the spec. they should be able to do better than 60hz, so 80 hz is a good starting point. So I guess your hitting the limitations of accuEQ

120hz may be part of your localisation issue and if 80hz is still causing issues try 60hz

I am not sure why the results are so inconsistant but as other have said the speakers/crossover should be set to small and start with 80hz.

I don't know your speakers but from the spec. they should be able to do better than 60hz, so 80 hz is a good starting point. So I guess your hitting the limitations of accuEQ

120hz may be part of your localisation issue and if 80hz is still causing issues try 60hz

Oh, I've never had any of my current speakers' crossover set to 120Hz, so I don't believe that the localization would have been because of that. I am convinced that the localization issue had to do with reflections more than anything else because where my Subwoofer is now, I am not able to localize to sound.

I have also never set the speakers to "large" - the only way to do that on my Onkyo AVR is to go into the crossover setting in the menu, and lower the crossover number until you get to the "full band" option. AccuEQ has never set it to "full band" after any of the calibrations I've performed, and it probably would only do that if I were to indicate that there was no subwoofer prior to AccuEQ taking the measurements.

Because I had the Polk RTi A1's as my Front LR's up until a few days ago, they had been set to 80Hz (their Frequency Response spec is 60Hz - 26kHz). When I moved them to surround duty, and re-calibrated once I had the new RTi A3's set up, AccuEQ did determine a crossover for the A1's, even as surrounds, of 60Hz as it had done when I had them as my front LR speakers.

It's only today when I was experimenting by moving my Sub back to the spot before (when I was having localization issues) that AccuEQ decided that my RTi A1's are less capable than they are. In fact, it even thought the Polk RTi A3's should have a crossover of 200Hz (their FR spec is 50Hz - 26kHz) when the first re-cal was done after moving the sub.

So the question is, again, if I know that the RTi A1's are capable of handling an 80Hz crossover, is it fine to ignore AccuEQ telling me that they should have a 120Hz crossover - despite having previously-determined a 60Hz crossover even when I first set them up as surrounds - and set it lower even though it's generally not advised to do that?

I think this is now less of a localization issue, and more of a "why is AccuEQ acting drunk?" issue.

And to make things more confusing - ran another re-cal... came up as 60Hz fronts, 70Hz surrounds. Didn't change a thing, ran another re-cal after that, came up as 60Hz fronts, 120Hz surrounds.

Did you stand in exactly the same place each time? Or better - get out of the room entirely if there is nowhere reasonable to 'hide'. Just your presence can change readings if you cant be sure of standing away from all significant sounds paths.

Did you stand in exactly the same place each time? Or better - get out of the room entirely if there is nowhere reasonable to 'hide'. Just your presence can change readings if you cant be sure of standing away from all significant sounds paths.

I always leave the room, so my body wouldn't be a factor.

UPDATE:

Ran another calibration, used a different mic (I had two), and move the mic just slightly forward from where I had it yesterday. I gave me the exact results I had the very first time I set up my A1's as surrounds. I am not touching this again until I make any more speaker changes.

Last edited:
Suggestions please????
I have just purchased a Q Acoustics 7000i "plus" 5.1 package.
Surround speakers 95Hz-20KHz
Sub 50Hz - 150Hz.
I'm baffled..... :( :( :(

Suggestions please????
I have just purchased a Q Acoustics 7000i "plus" 5.1 package.
Surround speakers 95Hz-20KHz
Sub 50Hz - 150Hz.
I'm baffled..... :( :( :(
Depends what Receiver you have but the following should get you going..

If you have auto EQ like Audyssey run that first. (usually under auto setup)

Then check the below settings (usually under manual setup)
  • LFE low pass filter set to 120hz
  • Speaker size set to Small
  • Speaker crossover set to 80hz

80hz will be to low a crossover for these speakers. I have the 7000i’s and the crossovers are usually set at 110-120hz after running the Audyssey calibration. They only go down to 95hz like the specs suggest so setting at 80hz will be to low a crossover. I would start at 100hz and work up to 120hz and decide which sounds best to you. But note if Audyssey sets the crossover at say 120hz it’s advisable not to lower it below what the calibration sets it at. You can go higher but not lower ideally.

Depends what Receiver you have but the following should get you going..

If you have auto EQ like Audyssey run that first. (usually under auto setup)

Then check the below settings (usually under manual setup)
  • LFE low pass filter set to 120hz
  • Speaker size set to Small
  • Speaker crossover set to 80hz

I have an Onkyo TX-L50 receiver.
The settings above are what I have them on at the moment but I am going to run an Audyssey check tomorrow.... Just that the sub doesn't "rumble" like my old one (Tannoy).

I think he was referring to the LCR not the surrounds. 👍

They are the same speakers with the same specifications.

I have an Onkyo TX-L50 receiver.
The settings above are what I have them on at the moment but I am going to run an Audyssey check tomorrow.... Just that the sub doesn't "rumble" like my old one (Tannoy).

You'd ideally not want to set the crossovers below 110Hz, but run the Audyssey calibration to get some idea of the roll off in your room. Set the crossovers no lower than the measured roll off, but still no lower than the suggested 110Hz either. So if Audyssey comes up with a crossover of 80Hz you'd still be advised to set it no lower than 110Hz, but if it arrives at a setting of 120Hz then you'd sert it to 120Hzas opposed to 110Hz.

Last edited:
Ah right, I just assumed the LCR were full range (or near enough).....sorry to muddy the waters..🙁

Ah right, I just assumed the LCR were full range (or near enough).....sorry to muddy the waters..🙁

The 7000i bundle consists of 5 sat speakers that are the same along with a sub. It is quite common for manufacturers to use the same speakers for fronts, centre and surrounds within their sat bundles. It is also quite common for these sat speakers to be heavilly dependant upon the sub for lower frequencies given the diminutive siize of the sat speakers and their drive units.

The 7000i bundle consists of 5 sat speakers that are the same along with a sub. It is quite common for manufacturers to use the same speakers for fronts, centre and surrounds within their sat bundles. It is also quite common for these sat speakers to be heavilly dependant upon the sub for lower frequencies given the diminutive siize of the sat speakers and their drive units.

That really surprises me that. I suppose it makes sense if you're selling a "one box does all" solution.
Thanks for correcting me. 👍

Thanks for your assistance guys. Will go with the Audyssey check later on today and see what that results in, and tweak (if necessary) from there. Thanks again. Rob

I have a set of Aperion Intimus 5T speakers from 2010...I recently bought a new receiver and forgot about how I should set up the speakers/crossover...my 2 fronts are tower speakers with dual 5.25" woofers built inside...I don't have a dedicated subwoofer...I only have the 2 front towers, 2 rears and a center channel

in setup what should I set my crossover as for the fronts?...full range?...60 Hz?...80 Hz?

Last edited:
I have a set of Aperion Intimus 5T speakers from 2010...I recently bought a new receiver and forgot about how I should set up the speakers/crossover...my 2 fronts are tower speakers with dual 5.25" woofers built inside...I don't have a dedicated subwoofer...I only have the 2 front towers, 2 rears and a center channel

in setup what should I set my crossover as for the fronts?...full range?...60 Hz?...80 Hz?

In a setup devoid of a sub then you'd not be given the option of setting the 2 front speakers as being anything but LARGE and you'd also not be able to set a crossover for speakers not set as being SMALL. In the presence of a sub, a crossover redirects frequencies at and below its setting out to the sub so where would such a crossover be sending such frequencies if there isn't a sub present? In setups that do not have a sub, the front speakers are automatically assigned as being FULL RANGE (LARGE) and cannot use a crossover setting. Other speakers in the setup can still however be set as being SMALL and their crossovers will redirect frequencies at and below that setting away from those speakers and send them to the front speakers.

Note that your front speakers are not full range and you'd be advised to add a sub to portray the frequencies that those speakers cannot.

In a setup devoid of a sub then you'd not be given the option of setting the 2 front speakers as being anything but LARGE and you'd also not be able to set a crossover for speakers not set as being SMALL. In the presence of a sub, a crossover redirects frequencies at and below its setting out to the sub so where would such a crossover be sending such frequencies if there isn't a sub present? In setups that do not have a sub, the front speakers are automatically assigned as being FULL RANGE (LARGE) and cannot use a crossover setting. Other speakers in the setup can still however be set as being SMALL and their crossovers will redirect frequencies at and below that setting away from those speakers and send them to the front speakers.

thanks...in the absence of a subwoofer is there any harm in setting the rear and center speakers also as Large?

It depends upon their abilities? If the front 2 speakers are considerable better relative to handling lower frequencies then it may still be advantageouse to redirect frequencies at and below the lowest rated ability of the other speakers to the front speakers for them to handle and portray. This would however put more strain on the receiver's front amplification modules and maybe even reduce the upper frequency headroom associated with the front left and right speakers? Best option would be to add an active sub.

I recently bought a Denon X1500H...when running the initial Setup + Audysset XT it set my Crossovers as:

Front: Full Band
Center: 80hz
Surround: 60hz

I have a 5.1 setup but am not currently using a subwoofer...my 2 fronts are Towers (not bookshelfs)...is this the optimal configuration or should I manually change the Center/Surrounds?...there is no option for Full Band, Large or even Small for the Center and Surrounds...the only options are from 40Hz to 120Hz

with my previous Denon AVR-791 the Fronts were set as Large and the Center/Surrounds were set as Small and I thought it sounded really good...what is the equivalent to Small in the new Denon X1500H?...I can choose from 40Hz to 120Hz

I recently bought a Denon X1500H...when running the initial Setup + Audysset XT it set my Crossovers as:

I have a 5.1 setup but am not currently using a subwoofer...my 2 fronts are Towers (not bookshelfs)...is this the optimal configuration or should I manually change the Center/Surrounds?...there is no option for Full Band, Large or even Small for the Center and Surrounds...the only options are from 40Hz to 120Hz

with my previous Denon AVR-791 the Fronts were set as Large and the Center/Surrounds were set as Small and I thought it sounded really good...what is the equivalent to Small in the new Denon X1500H?...I can choose from 40Hz to 120Hz
Go to the manual adjustment, select speaker config. Select small and set your crossover to 80hz.

Go to the manual adjustment, select speaker config. Select small and set your crossover to 80hz.

He doesn't currently have a sub wihin his setup and cannot therefore designate the front left and right speakers as being anything but LARGE. Any of the other speakers designated as being SMALL will simply redirect their frequencies at and below their crossover settings to the front left and right speakers as opposed to redirecting them to a subwoofer.

He doesn't currently have a sub wihin his setup and cannot therefore designate the front left and right speakers as being anything but LARGE. Any of the other speakers designated as being SMALL will simply redirect their frequencies at and below their crossover settings to the front left and right speakers as opposed to redirecting them to a subwoofer.

so the optimal configuration for my setup would be the following?
Fronts: Large
Center: Small
Surrounds: Small

and then set the Crossovers as
Fronts: Full Band
Center: 80Hz
Surrounds: 80Hz

Reading too quickly. I currently have a 5.1 set up...…..:confused:

so the optimal configuration for my setup would be the following?
Fronts: Large
Center: Small
Surrounds: Small

and then set the Crossovers as
Fronts: Full Band
Center: 80Hz
Surrounds: 80Hz

Basically, yes.

Note that you are putting more strain upon the receiver's front left and right amplification by directing the lower frequencies assciated with the other channels to the front though. You should realistically considering adding an active sub to your setup in order to better portray these lower end frequencies as well as to imprive the front speakers' headroom.

Hi Dante01

Maybe you could also help me with my setup and crossover settings?

I tried the best I could after I read your first post about how to set the crossover settings. But first, here is which speakers I own (and no – not very high-end ;) :

Subwoofer: Boston Accoustics Soundware. Sub freq. range: 50-150Hz

Fronts: Dali Oberon ON-WALL speakers( 55-26.000 Hz)
Center: Jamo center speaker (75-20,000Hz)
Rear speakers: Boston Accoustics Soundware XS SE ( 150Hz – 20.000Hz)

So, after I read your first post, I tried by myself, and came down to these crossover settings:

Fronts: 80hz
Center: 90hz
Rear speakers: 200hz

What do you think?

My receiver is Marantz SR5011.

Thanks in advance!

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom