Cummings Statement

psikey

Outstanding Member
Reaction score

Just watched and reasonable to me. Just opposition baying for blood post Brexit and media stirring shit to create a story.

You can say he has more options than most, but then we aren't getting our homes targeted by politic & media idiots (in London). I'd not want to leave my ill wife & child with that rabble outside while I'm elsewhere working and no child care/family support around. They wouldn't even give him 2m space this morning to get in his car!

You could possibly "question" his short test run to test his driving. Could be made up crap but have read it affecting some's vision post infection.

None issue for me, just sensationalism, move on.

Saying that, have no issue if he does go.

Last edited:
I thought he was in a hole and kept on digging. His wife was ill, possibly with Covid so he thought it a good idea to drive 250 miles with her in car. Perhaps he was immune. Then the statement of his driving to see if his vision was good enough. Please, that is an offence under the Road Traffic Act and how many other road users did he put in danger.

Thousands upon thousands of people were in exactly the same position as Cummins yet they all obeyed the government guide lines. As for driving up to his parents he stated that he did not stop, yet on the 'am I fit to drive drive' a short 30 minute jolly he admitted he had to stop because his kiddy needed the toilet. His statement has more holes in it than a colander.

Can't say I agree psikey.

Thousands of families have (at great hardship) stuck to the rules, these exceptional circumstances were confirmed weeks ago around things like imminent danger or death etc. Like the rest of us if he had no support he should of rung the local authority, thats the guidance all of us have been given.

The "drive to test my eyes" excuse was hilarious, even if you believed him.... He just so happens to do his test drive to a lovely little market town with a castle lol.

The Q&A was a complete car crash. This will go on.

I think this is as simple as “those plebs are beneath me”. Utter contempt for the little people and he should be sent down the road. W4nker

Just following HYS on BBC and I'd love it to show Political affiliation (and Brexit choice) against all the feedback! Think there would be a significant correlation link to the views/opinions.

As I say, personally no issue if he stays or goes, just never happy letting opposition/media create news. End of day, its up to Boris as he's just his employee and hasn't broken the law.

I'd be happy to loose my job in the knowledge I made the right choice to protect my 4yo best I could while not breaking any law or endangering anyone else. His kid even had to be checked out at hospital.

Last edited:
Just following HYS on BBC and I'd love it to show Political affiliation (and Brexit choice) against all the feedback! Think there would be a significant correlation link to the views/opinions.

As I say, personally no issue if he stays or goes, just never happy letting opposition/media create news. End of day, its up to Boris as he's just his employee and hasn't broken the law.

I really think its a cop out to pull out brexit of political affiliations. Sure opposition will pound on it and many people in politics on both sides dislike Cummings so undoubtedly make some noise... Issue is though is what he's done is wrong and broke clear rules, the whole driving eye test excuse was a huge mistake.

He should of thought up a better excuse, I also believe from posts on twitter it just so happened to be his wife's birthday the same day... Eek...

He was worried for his family because his house was shown on tv and because of threats of violance.ok thats fair except that he often left his wife and son at home alone.what changed on the day he decided to go to Durham.He was worried that his wife and himself might get too ill to look after their child.wow you could not make this up.i drove to a castle with my 4 year old to test my eyesight lol.
And he was deadly serious!!!!!

I really think its a cop out to pull out brexit of political affiliations. Sure opposition will pound on it and many people in politics on both sides dislike Cummings so undoubtedly make some noise... Issue is though is what he's done is wrong and broke clear rules, the whole driving eye test excuse was a huge mistake.

He should of thought up a better excuse, I also believe from posts on twitter it just so happened to be his wife's birthday the same day... Eek...

I read HYS a lot and you get a feel for it and regular posters. Some will genuinely think Cummings did wrong but most are the "pay back" attacks for Cummings role in Boris winning. Can't get Boris, attack his friends/supporters.

I'd have no issue Cummings getting the push, will stop all the chatter that he's running Boris! This isn't a clear enough reason to give him the push, not like the SNP Medial Officer with her lake side 2nd home visits.

I'm a Tory voter.

I'm pro-Brexit.

I thought that Press Conference was a car crash of lies, BS and hypocrisy. I do think the press are baying for blood as they don't like him, the ways he tries to manipulate them and the truth, but his entire statement had as much truth and fact as a Harry Potter novel, it possibly had about the same amount of fantasy though.

It's things like this that just show us our MP's (any party) genuinely couldn't give a shit about the public, it's all lies, spin and expenses, keep the power at any cost.

I'm a Tory voter.

I'm pro-Brexit.

I thought that Press Conference was a car crash of lies, BS and hypocrisy. I do think the press are baying for blood as they don't like him, the ways he tries to manipulate them and the truth, but his entire statement had as much truth and fact as a Harry Potter novel, it possibly had about the same amount of fantasy though.

Maybe it is lies but who can say for certain. I'm not a fan of him and could actually help Boris if he does go seeing as there seem to be plenty of Tories can't stand him anyway. Will kill the stories of Dom having dirt on Boris.

I thought what he said was reasonable and only accepting of the "eyes" thing as watching some people recovering on the BBC updates there were a couple said they had eye issues after recovering.

I would give him a fixed penalty notice for the castle drive and then put points on his license and then fire him.

This is Great Britain sir.we are civilised lol

If the media succeeds in getting Cummings fired, then they should also fire all of those photographers and reporters outside his house that were in a big huddle. Shocking double standards which only the media and politicians seem to be capable of.

Balanced overview I think

Analysis: Changing minds is another matter
350054f2-4103-43fe-8694-0a6acf1de4e5.png

Vicki Young
Chief Political Correspondent
That press conference was something I am sure Dominic Cummings would have hated having to do.
But the fact he has had to explain himself is recognition he knows there is a problem.
It was striking that, overall, he said he had no regrets.
He also hasn't considering resigning and he accused the media of fuelling anger - although a lot of what was in the public domain has been confirmed in that statement.
But Mr Cummings said his actions were reasonable and the core of this is him saying people have to use common sense when it comes to the guidelines.
A lot of people watching this may accept he wasn't breaking the law, but may well think they have been interpreting the rules far more strictly.
Mr Cummings talked about exceptional circumstances, but many may also think we are in those circumstances as well.
There are still some issues here - particularly the other trip he made to Barnard Castle to test his eyesight, which may raise eyebrows,
He may win plaudits for being so open and going out there. But whether it is changing minds is another matter, and ultimately, the prime minister's opinion is the only one that matters.

I'm betting Boris sticks with him. He's already faced MP's, speaker, courts so a bit of press baiting and looser opposition won't have much effect. I bet public view will be 50/50 and heavily swayed by ones politics.

Last edited:
I agree it was going well until the drive to ‘test his eyesight’ with a 4 year old in the car

I think he just went for a drive for his wife’s birthday

"My wife was worried particularly as my eyesight seemed to be affected...we agreed we should go for a short drive to see if I could drive safely...we ended up on the outskirts of Barnard Castle."

Nowhere in that article does it say he had defective vision. Seems to cover 'testing eyesight' because he was worried about his vision, but nothing about actual defective vision.

We've seen over the last couple of days that his home has become a bear-pit with the journos (who should absolutely be reprimanded for their lack of social distancing), but surely this wasn't happening back in March when they made the journey? Or did i misunderstand that part of his explanation?

As I was listening to the tale unfold, I have to say, it reminded me of one of my kids' "What I did In the holidays" essays they had to do when they were about 11.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom