Currys PCworld Team Knowhow Service....

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just had my lg oled tv collected for repair (green tint/hue issue) under the 5 year Currys warranty service.

The tv left the house in aesthetically mint condition however seeing how the collection guy just picked it up by himself, which is not the proper way to do it and the complete lack of care in handling the TV or how it was stored in the truck without any padding or protection, I am seriously concerned now that it will be returned in an unfit condition. Of course when the time comes I will inspect it thoroughly however has anyone had any experience with their service?

Their website seems to wax lyrical about state of the art facilities but from just the collection it seems you couldn't get a more unprofessional bunch of people dealing with some pretty expensive equipment in such a irresponsible manner!

Edit: I think it's only fair to highlight when they get things right, see this post for the outcome.

Last edited:
Sounds about right, wouldn't touch (or even trust) them with a barge-pole.

They didn't even wrap it? They just put it in the back of a truck?!

Sounds about right, wouldn't touch (or even trust) them with a barge-pole.

They didn't even wrap it? They just put it in the back of a truck?!

Yes mate just put it in the back of the truck, leaned it up against some other box that was already in there and threw a thin polythene sheet over the top to cover the screen as if that'll provide any sort of protection.

Defo! Front, back, corners and everything. CCTV of the bloke man handling it into the truck. Got it covered. :smashin:

Did Currys advise against wrapping it up yourself then?

I told them I don't have the box/packaging, they said no worries. It'll be taken away safely on a padded trolly of sort. When I asked the pick up guy where's his trolly, he seemed baffled by it. I was also advised that they would provide a collection receipt, the pick up guy said they don't. So clearly seems to be some sort of miscommunication or different standards between Customer Service team and Collection.

Yes mate just put it in the back of the truck, leaned it up against some other box that was already in there and threw a thin polythene sheet over the top to cover the screen as if that'll provide any sort of protection.
Probably best to not watch too closely

They had no trolley for mine either.
What they do with it is up to them, as long as it comes back repaired or replaced.

What they do with it is up to them, as long as it comes back repaired or replaced.

Agreed. The only thing I would add is it comes back repaired/replaced in the same pristine condition in which it was taken away. I have formally notified their customer services team now so they are aware. It's out of my hands now, hopefully all goes well.

Agreed. The only thing I would add is it comes back repaired/replaced in the same pristine condition in which it was taken away. I have formally notified their customer services team now so they are aware. It's out of my hands now, hopefully all goes well.

Did you take photos just before it was taken away? If not you have no proof of condition.

Mine was also immaculate, but has been written off as no 3D OLED screens available.

If it's replaced it's not an issue at all anyway.

If it's repaired and comes back looking like a dogs dinner then that would be very annoying.

Yes mate, took the pics this morning before they collected.

Having just spoken to their CS team it seems they are taking the issue seriously which is good know. Reassured me whatever happens it will be resolved. Can't fault them for their service.

I can 100% guarantee it will come back damaged as I happened to my C7 when Currys Collected it for repair. If you only have the standard 5 year warranty they will just keep taking it away to fix with no replacement or refund. Just been through the whole process just as lockdown started. I could only get a resolution by emailing the CEO team. In the end they scrapped my C7 off and gave me a voucher to buy a C9.
First pic is how I received I back the first time after a new main board was put it.
The second pic is how I received I back the second time after having a new panel put in.

Attachments

• IMG_20190907_192451.jpg
    IMG_20190907_192451.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 837
  • 20200325_132018.jpg
    20200325_132018.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 844
Last edited:
You should always hang on to your box.I know it’s a pain and it’s big but it was massive peice of mind when my E7 went for a new screen.One man carried it but it was safe and id saved the straps to slide over the box.Came back unmarked as good as new.Please note wasn’t Currys and was Domestic and General.New panel was faultless so hope yours is if they replace it.

You should always hang on to your box.I know it’s a pain and it’s big but it was massive peice of mind when my E7 went for a new screen.One man carried it but it was safe and id saved the straps to slide over the box.Came back unmarked as good as new.Please note wasn’t Currys and was Domestic and General.New panel was faultless so hope yours is if they replace it.
I offered to re box my old C7 but was told it wouldn't come back with the original box. The second time I left the stand on thinking it would be easier for the delivery lads but they took it off and told me it would go missing if I sent it back with the tv.

These companies should be using large padded muffs.
They come in various sizes and I was using them 12yrs ago when I was in the repair business.

So I just had my lg oled tv collected for repair (green tint/hue issue) under the 5 year Currys warranty service.

The tv left the house in aesthetically mint condition however seeing how the collection guy just picked it up by himself, which is not the proper way to do it and the complete lack of care in handling the TV or how it was stored in the truck without any padding or protection, I am seriously concerned now that it will be returned in an unfit condition. Of course when the time comes I will inspect it thoroughly however has anyone had any experience with their service?

Their website seems to wax lyrical about state of the art facilities but from just the collection it seems you couldn't get a more unprofessional bunch of people dealing with some pretty expensive equipment in such a irresponsible manner!

On the bright side.... at least Currys picked it up!

Their service is incredibly variable. You did the right thing by taking pictures and letting them know concerns early on. Sadly I suspect this is only going to go one way, so I hope you eventually get a pristine TV back - whether repaired or new!

Yet another reason why I won't buy from Curry's. Good luck getting it sorted.

These companies should be using large padded muffs.
They come in various sizes and I was using them 12yrs ago when I was in the repair business.
There is something in the right hand here...
(removed identifying features of persons and property)

I was expecting them to arrive with a special protective case to zip it up into.

With the 2m social distance rule you can't have two people carry the TV,
as even a 77inch TV is less than 2m long.

knowhowtv12.jpg

I've had a few experiences with TV's picked up by KnowHow and imho it really depends on the drivers. Here's what I've experienced:
EF950V purchased in Dec 2015
Panel 1 failure (vertical line) - Panel picked up a day later with drivers having a trolley and manifest sticker. Wrapped in the same type of covering you get the TV in ( I had to remove the stand on instruction from CS as they were renowned for breaking). Wrapped and put inside a secure trolley and loaded. Came back 4 days later in pristine condition and I didn't let the guys leave until I'd checked it over properly.
Upon inspection and test, the 3D wasn't working properly so they came back out and took it away next day (this time, wrapped but no trolley). Took the stand off again but was told I didn't need to??? Anyhow, it came back 4 days later with the 3D fixed and again, wrapped and pristine.
Panel 2 failure PIR - came to pick up, I wrapped it and they loaded it onto the van again with no trolley using bungees and my initial thought was "that stand will fail". Anyhow, came back wrapped and pristine 4 days later and funny old thing, had a new stand!

A completely different experience each time but when the TV came back, it was always pristine and trust me, I treble checked as it would have gone straight back if not. I do have to say the first drivers were superb and really looked after the TV (it did cost over 2k after all) but the rest of them didn't appear to care as much.

They even brought mine back in the box.I agree they should all have proper protection for what they cost and these companies just aren’t professional enough in handling expensive tvs.My ocd would be through the roof if my tv had cosmetic damage as all my things are looked after.Theres a good chunk of speaker to be damaged on an E7 but luckily not a mark on it when returned.I bet luck played a big part though.

I am a worried man after reading this guys :( My 4yr old Panny 65" CR852 4k tv has a fault as of today it still has almost a years warranty left as we had a 5yr guarantee when we bought it.

I switched it on this morning and there was a group of about a dozen pixels all together looking like a whitish spot approx 4mm dia with a halo about the size of an orange around the spot.

Turn tv off and on tried massaging the area lightly with a cloth to see if it removed the issue but no luck so rang currys waited in a Que for 1hr before finally getting to speak to a guy. He was helpful enough and asked me to remove power from tv for 10 seconds which I did but still no good.

He has booked the tv in for repair and they are picking it up tomorrow he said they will repair by Wednesday next week, here's hopping if they repair it comes back in good nick. I will take pics of the set as you have suggested.

I am really hopping the set is toast as it is in A1 nick same as yours and don't fancy having it back in bad condition. To be honest I have been considering lately to get a new set anyway so if they scrap it off whats the usual deal. Do they offer the nearest new set to what you have or do you get an opportunity to get something better (Oled maybe or bigger LCD set) if you pay something towards it. My set was £1499 in April 2016 so do you get full value or do they knock anything off for it being 4yrs old.

When they collect set did they take the remote or not as mine is an upgraded metal one and don't fancy that going missing.

Cheers Guys

I am a worried man after reading this guys :( My 4yr old Panny 65" CR852 4k tv has a fault as of today it still has almost a years warranty left as we had a 5yr guarantee when we bought it.

I switched it on this morning and there was a group of about a dozen pixels all together looking like a whitish spot approx 4mm dia with a halo about the size of an orange around the spot.

Turn tv off and on tried massaging the area lightly with a cloth to see if it removed the issue but no luck so rang currys waited in a Que for 1hr before finally getting to speak to a guy. He was helpful enough and asked me to remove power from tv for 10 seconds which I did but still no good.

He has booked the tv in for repair and they are picking it up tomorrow he said they will repair by Wednesday next week, here's hopping if they repair it comes back in good nick. I will take pics of the set as you have suggested.

I am really hopping the set is toast as it is in A1 nick same as yours and don't fancy having it back in bad condition. To be honest I have been considering lately to get a new set anyway so if they scrap it off whats the usual deal. Do they offer the nearest new set to what you have or do you get an opportunity to get something better (Oled maybe or bigger LCD set) if you pay something towards it. My set was £1499 in April 2016 so do you get full value or do they knock anything off for it being 4yrs old.

When they collect set did they take the remote or not as mine is an upgraded metal one and don't fancy that going missing.

Cheers Guys

They only wanted the TV, nothing else. No stand, remote, box etc.

Make sure you take pics of all the corners, top, bottom, sides, front and back. I'm hoping now the pics I've taken will be enough.

Not sure what they offer if it become a write off as I have't been through that process. Hopefully I won't have to find out because if they do offer me cashback I'll have to spend an extra £3.5k+ to upgrade to the 75". It would be rude of me not to! :D

Nothing comes close to the PQ of OLED, even after all of this I would still get another ensuring I get the longest hassle free warranty coverage available.

Thanks for the advice:smashin:

I don't fancy taking the stand off as this tv is quite big and pretty heavy so unless they will take the stand off for me I will have to leave it on (it's a metal stand and runs the whole width of tv).

If they can't repair mine I will probably get a 75" LCD or 65" OLED as I don't mind adding £500 or so if they were to give me full credit for what I paid in 2016(£1499).

Here's hopping.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom