CX - Soundbar and Xbox Series X - DTS decoder

GsfDan

Novice Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon!

I am a bit confused about the lack of DTS codec on the LG CX and what does it mean when buying a Soundbar (if anything at all)

I just bought a Soundbar, the Sony HT-X8500 with Atmos and all the DTS Formats https://www.sony.com/electronics/sound-bars/ht-x8500 , and Im wondering, will I be able to use Dolby Atmos / DTS:X connected via eARC? Will the lack of DTS Codec impact the sound on the Soundbar?

My second question is, I want to get the XBOX Series X, which will have Atmos but also all the DTS formats (hopefully also for their Bluray Player). If I connect the Xbox Series X to the CX, and the Soundbar to the TV via eARC, will I get the Soundbar to use the DTS formats or the CX will not do the passthrough? If not, what is the alternative?

Thank you!

Last edited:
The CX does not support DTS but does support PCM 5.1 and 7.1 over eARC.

If your media device can decode the DTS to PCM there is no quality loss. Given the X8500 and CX support eARC that is the way to go.

In TV settings
Sound/Sound Out = HDMI ARC
Sound/Additional settings/HDMI Input Audio Format = bitstream
Sound/Additional settings/Digital Sound Out = pass-through
Sound/Additional settings/eARC = enabled

In Xbox settings
Select uncompressed PCM 5.1 or 7.1

For Atmos select bitstream Dolby, depending on the connection Xbox can use DD+ Atmos (ARC) or the better option Dolby MAT which is PCM & Atmos (eARC).

However LG eARC is a little buggy at the moment and may not activate PCM or Dolby MAT, try it and see, there is a new 3.11.26 firmware rolling out at the moment that fixes the major eARC bugs.

The CX does not support DTS but does support PCM 5.1 and 7.1 over eARC.

If your media device can decode the DTS to PCM there is no quality loss. Given the X8500 and CX support eARC that is the way to go.

In TV settings
Sound/Sound Out = HDMI ARC
Sound/Additional settings/HDMI Input Audio Format = bitstream
Sound/Additional settings/Digital Sound Out = pass-through
Sound/Additional settings/eARC = enabled

In Xbox settings
Select uncompressed PCM 5.1 or 7.1

For Atmos select bitstream Dolby, depending on the connection Xbox can use DD+ Atmos (ARC) or the better option Dolby MAT which is PCM & Atmos (eARC).

However LG eARC is a little buggy at the moment and may not activate PCM or Dolby MAT, try it and see, there is a new 3.11.26 firmware rolling out at the moment that fixes the major eARC bugs.

Thank you next010!

Currently I only have the Xbox One (original), when I tried to set it to uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 it says: Check your audio receiver, there was a problem using this setting. Make sure your audio receiver supports it.

I wonder if this is an issue with Xbox itself or the TV🤔

Thank you next010!

Currently I only have the Xbox One (original), when I tried to set it to uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 it says: Check your audio receiver, there was a problem using this setting. Make sure your audio receiver supports it.

I wonder if this is an issue with Xbox itself or the TV🤔

Most likely the Xbox is not detecting the PCM 5.1 support in the TV's EDID (what formats it supports), you will have to wait for forthcoming firmware update to sort it all out.

LG do support PCM 5.1 in their TV EDID but their initial support is buggy and can cause some devices to not detect it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom