CYRUS CDXT SE...with intermittent faulty play??

Hah the advantage of smartphones and a quiet Monday.
For me I’d look at the eBay sold prices (for average unserviced machines) add the bargain price I can buy it for and note the amount of profit it if I sold at any point ;) And I’m tight as a duck’s thingy!
Currently.....that'd be anywhere from making a slight loss...to being £100+
Having noted that....I'm looking for something to keep here:)

Then...there's the whole DAC thing to get into.
I've a cheap little FiiO thing to get me going....
Then...there's the PSU thing...hard to believe that a transport would benefit from a £500+ PSU when it has one of it's own!!?

'Error' usually means a transport/laser problem as it can't read the disc. Cyrus would almost certainly replace the full assembly.

LampPost.. that was very good of Cyrus. I used to work for a Cyrus dealer and their stated policy was that repairs had to be booked in through a dealer. Good to know they will make special exceptions.

Then...there's the PSU thing...hard to believe that a transport would benefit from a £500+ PSU when it has one of it's own!!?

That’s why I’d sell it on ;)

From memory the CD player has a dac, but it's been a while since I had mine so I could be wrong!

Last edited:
In for a penny I thought...and I've brought it home with me!

Information from standby shows:
Ver 4.3
Nov 2009
Servo v1.7
Display shows : XT SE+ (but description is XT SE on back panel)

Excellent :) I’d guess cleaning the lens can’t hurt and might be all you need. After that I’d go with earlier plan. Good luck.

Well. I’d say yes but does depend on how it is inside ie what can you get at easily. Doubt anyone sells those cleaning discs anymore lol.

In for a penny I thought...and I've brought it home with me!

Information from standby shows:
Ver 4.3
Nov 2009
Servo v1.7
Display shows : XT SE+ (but description is XT SE on back panel)

I think that needs updating, when I had mine many years ago servo was over V2 maybe even V3....

Drop Cyrus an email and ask them what the latest versions are.

Well....quite shocked really!
It appears that the laser unit on this device is a Sanyo SF-HD850 ...and a couple of minutes searching on Ebay shows this to be available ...costring anywhere between £4.50 ish and £20 or so!
Perhaps the price range is wider!!
So...a £4.50 laser unit at the heart of a £1000+ piece of kit.
Nice work if you can get it!! :)

Also noticing that the disc isn't spinning up.....apparently the motors (also Sanyo...difficult to read model number...but I'll get there) are the devices most prone to failure in a CD/DVD device....the 2nd most prone being the laser. (Also cheap as chips!!)

Spoke to my 'dealer' in Leeds...Richer Sounds...it appears that even if I make a total c**k up here, those kind folks at Cyrus would still be happy to take my money for a service....which was warmly re-assuring ( :) )

So....going to give a DIY repair a try in the 1st instance!!
Phew....a plan!!!

Cotton bud and meths or IPA, don't use to much as it can debond the lens from the housing...
...it's getting to the laser!!
Think the whole mechanism has to be dropped from the moulded upper case...
(well...lifted from the up-turned case anyway!!)

Well....quite shocked really!
It appears that the laser unit on this device is a Sanyo SF-HD850 ...and a couple of minutes searching on Ebay shows this to be available ...costring anywhere between £4.50 ish and £20 or so!
Perhaps the price range is wider!!
So...a £4.50 laser unit at the heart of a £1000+ piece of kit.
Nice work if you can get it!! :)

Also noticing that the disc isn't spinning up.....apparently the motors (also Sanyo...difficult to read model number...but I'll get there) are the devices most prone to failure in a CD/DVD device....the 2nd most prone being the laser. (Also cheap as chips!!)

Spoke to my 'dealer' in Leeds...Richer Sounds...it appears that even if I make a total c**k up here, those kind folks at Cyrus would still be happy to take my money for a service....which was warmly re-assuring ( :) )

So....going to give a DIY repair a try in the 1st instance!!
Phew....a plan!!!

You're a braver man than I am, good luck with it and keep us all posted on the outcome!

Last edited:
You're a braver man than I am, good luck with it and keep us all posted on the outcome!
Will do.....and I'll be honest...and there'll be pics too!!
Here's what appears to be the full replacement...laser and mechanism!

Still struggling as to how such a cheap/ubiquitous bit of kit (at £10.90) can be a key part of something soooo expensive :)

Last edited:
I've ordered the complete mechanism as above...along with an 'extra' laser...for the exorbitant sum of £17.55
Luck, or good fortune aside...I'll be back in a couple of weeks with the rest of the tale
......Oh...and some pics for Simon :)

Still struggling as to how such a cheap/ubiquitous bit of kit (at £10.90) can be a key part of something soooo expensive :)

Not been buying Hifi kit for long then? DAC chips are the same (a few dollars each) but look at the price of Hifi DACs

Implementation is key, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

Just had a look at the cost of the dac chips in my converter and they are $83 each :eek:

Phew.....thankful this isn't a DAC and doesn't have any of those really expensive chips inside!

Transport mechanism/laser arrived from AliExpress.....not the Sanyo Original as advertised, but what I can only assume is a 'generic' product. Quality looked everything as good as the Sanyo from the Cyrus, so went ahead anyway....in for a penny, in for £10.47 I thought!! :)

Here are some pics....for Simon!!
  • Box new drive arrived in.
  • Box.jpg
  • Old Mechanism/laser removed
  • .IMG_20200722_172307.jpg
  • Mechanism on it's front...still wired to Cyrus...allowing me to see if laser was working/lens was focussing.
  • IMG_20200724_130603.jpg
  • Voilà...Transport is seeing (and playing...but not on pic!) Elegy The Nice 2009 release.
  • IMG_20200725_134124.jpg
Sled rails for laser had to be setup with a bit of common sense.
So far success...really pleased that I haven't had to dig £290 deeper....only time will tell.
If things do hit the fan...this has given me a bit of confidence to go DIY...:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom