DAC Info that may be helpful

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
The Cirrus Logic DAC on the Marantz is very good, it's a DAC that Marantz has used for higher tier models such as the sa8005 and pm8005.

Thanks, I had heard the marantz had a good DAC.. my worry is that it sounds like it just wouldn't actually get used at all, as I'll mainly be using the RCA input's from digital devices? Would be annoying to need to get an additional DAC while there's a good one sat in the amp idle

Thanks, I had heard the marantz had a good DAC.. my worry is that it sounds like it just wouldn't actually get used at all, as I'll mainly be using the RCA input's from digital devices? Would be annoying to need to get an additional DAC while there's a good one sat in the amp idle
On the plus side you have the choice of two DACs. :smashin:

Would anyone be able to suggest a few good quality budget DACs? For taking 3.5mm or usb digital sources, laptop + tablet, into an amp prob the PM6006 UK. Should I assume quality coming from these devices will not be that good? They are pretty cheap Chinese models by Teclast. thanks :)

Edit: I guess another option is to go the wireless route where the amp accesses and play the mp3 directly? such as on Yamaha R-N602 model, or even Marantz NR1200 if I can afford it. Is there consensus which would be better then, wireless or separate DAC interface?

Last edited:
'Better' could cover a whole host of requirements.

For some folk a fully 'integrated' device with network capabilities plus analogue and digital inputs in a small form factor will be more than ideal - most of the big brands now have 'affordable' options inc Arcam, Yamaha, Marantz, Denon etc (Note - most miss off USB support).

For some 'flexibility' will be more of a consideration and being able to mix and match a USB DAC with a Stereo Amp is more appealing as it gives you more choices in the long term, though you can end up with a tangle of box's, wires and power adapters and a never ending 'search' for the perfect combination.

'Duplication' does tend to come into most systems as you end up with a mix of multi-capability devices so having a system with a single DAC stage could be tricky to achieve. I guess it would be seen as a 'challenge' for some :)

'Network' playback would be pulling content to the streamer over your network (wired or wireless) and the streamer then decodes the content so unless there is an issue with the network the fact you are using WiFi will have no affect on what you hear - though you may be pulling lower quality streams, depending on the service you use, which will have an affect on what you hear vs. say a CD or non-compressed rip on a local server.

'Bluetooth' playback is what a lot of folk are using and it is a compressed format (see note above about the content stream you start out with also affecting what you hear) - even so many folk are more than happy with how it works and you have the option to look for aptX (or similar) enabled Bluetooth devices to ensure a higher quality connection.

Worth considering - iFi Audio Zen Blue Bluetooth DAC Review

Loudspeaker and room is still a key consideration to the final sound you will hear - as is the amp to speaker relationship if you have a large room/inefficient loudspeakers as most of the 'integrated' streamer devices are assuming you are looking for a relatively compact package and will not be aiming for huge SPL levels.

Which music services will you be using? How are you using the system - desktop or more conventional 'lounge' layout and if the latter it is always good to start out with a room and seating layout and then work back towards suitable amplification for the preferred loudspeakers.

Joe

Hi Joe many thanks for the information, it will be in a lounge, fairly smallish in size. I'm looking at going with either MA bronze 2, or the bronze 5 floorstanders are looking more appealing and I imagine will be more than what I need for my room so won't be needing adding to at all.

I'm a bit torn with the wireless stuff, while it is very practical and convenient, I prefer to have wired really, personally I find bluetooth transmission unpleasant to be around. Wifi not as bad. The reason I'm looking at DAC is because I've got in mind that whatever I play my music through will be limited by the sources quality, so seems worth thinking about how to improve that too? Or is it not going to be a very noticeable factor? Guessing the amp and speakers will go a long way in making a nice sound anyway?

I've no idea what a separate DAC might cost or look like.. seems there are so many different types out there, what would be a good place to start? Maybe it would be something I'd add later once I have the basics set up.

On a side note: Would you know if the PM6006 be fine to pair with the Bronze 5's in terms of power ?

Room and Speakers - will have the most 'obvious' influence on what you hear. The MA Bronze 2 or 5 ought to be fine with the PM6006 in a conventional lounge, then again some folk I meet like to listen at absurd levels :)

Wired network - will be an option on most/all of the Integrate network capable amps, disabling WiFi and Bluetooth may be more of an issue if you wish to not have devices in and around you with active signalling going on.

DAC - see the review I linked to. Most of the affordable stand alone units are relatively small devices with little in the way of display or control and just a series of connectors on the rear of them, some will have a USB Input others not.

DAC - cannot recover what is lost in the source signal. Visit the streaming section of AVF for more info on the various services and playback software you can use to ensure you have a 'loss less' stream to start out with.

Joe

Hi, I'm not sure this is the right place but I have a DAC related question that hopefully someone can help me with. I have a Denon RCD-M41 receiver and I'd like to take advantage of it's inbuilt DAC by sending a digital signal from my phone. I can either use BT or an analog cable currently but am curious as to whether there will be an improvement in sound if I can use it's optical input instead.

I'm wondering if it's worth doing, and if it is how can I convert a digital signal from my phone (usb-c) to optical? Unfortunately the M41 has no usb input, possibly it's only flaw.

Thanks in advance.

Many variables and many options open to you.

If the Music is not physically stored on the phone you could look at a streaming device with Optical Out and use the Phone as the Controller for the streaming device rather than trying to convert the Phone output to Optical - otherwise I would likely stick with using BT.

Joe

Many variables and many options open to you.

If the Music is not physically stored on the phone you could look at a streaming device with Optical Out and use the Phone as the Controller for the streaming device rather than trying to convert the Phone output to Optical - otherwise I would likely stick with using BT.

Joe

Using Tidal from my phone, thanks for the suggestion but don't see the need for an extra (and likely expensive) streaming device. Would prefer to keep the convenience of running Tidal from my phone. I also have a Fiio M6 which I connect using a stereo to 3.5mm cable and it sounds good but again I was curious as to whether the internal DAC in the Denon is better. Playing a CD does seem to be an improvement which I presume is down to better internal circuitry in the Denon vs the M6 as a DAC.

After some digging I bought this USB to spdif converter at the link below which hopefully does the job, advertised as working with android. Will report back as to whether there's any noticeable improvement in sound quality over BT in case anyone is interested.

We have been using TIBO on a few projects recently where we required low cost streaming (single or multi-room) - great value for money and some big price reductions during lockdown.

Joe

It's there any hope of pulling out the digital signal of an echo dot? I frequently steam music this way and I bet it has the world's shittiest DAC.

Another typical what should i buy post...sorry!

Looking for a dac, well a duel use one, so to be used as a pre amp plus an onboard dac. I've a couple of tag 60p stereo power amps, so dont need balanced outputs. Speakers are dynaudio audience 42's. main source is a sonos connect, at the moment anyway.

budget, £2-300 - can be 2nd hand too and must have a full remote control and a good headphone section too.

Thanks

Morning every one , a novice question here.

I have the Roksan K3 integrated amp and cd player (early version without the DAC) the amp has a preamp facility taken up with my Denon AVR 4500, , Late last year I bought the Roksan k3 DAC , at £299 shipped it would have been rude to let it pass, setting aside the usb dongle to one side, what is the best way to hard wire the DAC into the system, I have the toshlink cable , digital co-ax and rca cables ready and waiting , so what do I introduce and to were?and what do I remove to get the best sound ?

Thank you

Charlie

Morning every one , a novice question here.

I have the Roksan K3 integrated amp and cd player (early version without the DAC) the amp has a preamp facility taken up with my Denon AVR 4500, , Late last year I bought the Roksan k3 DAC , at £299 shipped it would have been rude to let it pass, setting aside the usb dongle to one side, what is the best way to hard wire the DAC into the system, I have the toshlink cable , digital co-ax and rca cables ready and waiting , so what do I introduce and to were?and what do I remove to get the best sound ?

Thank you

Charlie
It would be a digital connection to the DAC, so toslink or coaxial. From the DAC it's analogue to the stereo amp. The DAC will become a hub for all digital signals.

It would be a digital connection to the DAC, so toslink or coaxial. From the DAC it's analogue to the stereo amp. The DAC will become a hub for all digital signals.
Just switched the cables as suggested and voila, incredible detailed sound from a system that was no slouch before, very many thanks

We have been using TIBO on a few projects recently where we required low cost streaming (single or multi-room) - great value for money and some big price reductions during lockdown.

Joe
Hi

I would be interested in your feedback on these. I have just bought an AVA Meastro 50 digital amp and want to add a Blutooth streaming device for our son to use - the Bond 3 and IFI Audio Zen Blue both have a digital out (essential for the amp - no analogue inputs) seem to fit the bill but the Tibo also does streaming and is much cheaper - do these work well as a Bluetooth streamer? He would be using an I-phone 6s.

Any suggestions for a new DAC to go between my Intel NUC and Anthem amp? I have had a Dragon Fly Red for a while, and want a change, but not stupid amounts of ££££ tho

Any suggestions for a new DAC to go between my Intel NUC and Anthem amp? I have had a Dragon Fly Red for a while, and want a change, but not stupid amounts of ££££ tho
Why do you want to change the dragonfly?

Why do you want to change the dragonfly?
I have had it for a few months, and just think there is better out there for +/- £500. Just feel like a change

And also because I have changed my front speakers, so want to give them the best signal I can

I have had it for a few months, and just think there is better out there for +/- £500. Just feel like a change
You could go down a rabbit hole of spending here for very little improvements. Choose wisely

You could go down a rabbit hole of spending here for very little improvements. Choose wisely
I know. But at the end of the day I am governed by a budget of £5/550, so the majority of decent dacs are out of the question:)

I know. But at the end of the day I am governed by a budget of £5/550, so the majority of decent dacs are out of the question:)
I believe you have a decent dac. I'd doubt spending 500 or 5000 would give you any major improvement, maybe very subtle improvements. I say that because I have the red, had an arcam irdac 2 and have an smsl m3 that cost 70 quid. There's very little diffence between them, the red in my opinion being marginally better.

I'd guess the obvious option to try would be the chord mojo but imo it's not really a friendly hifi option in use. I'd bet though you won't get nearly as much improvement changing dacs as you did changing speakers or the amp

You should find the jump from a dragonfly red to one of the 9038Q2M based DACs for around 250-300 upwards yields a noticeable improvement in sound quality (clarity/detail etc). I certainly did between my dragonfly red and project S2 digital (9038Q2M based for around 300). The basic sound character is of course be about the same.

Past that, then I guess you are looking at way more money on a DAC for the next obvious jump in quality (towards 1K or more - RME ADI2 DAC for eg based on high end AKM chipset). Between those price ranges, then I guess you are paying for brand, finish and features that have additional hardware costs.

Last edited:
Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom