David gemmell books/related collectables

He apparently got it fairly cheap as he stated that the seller clearly didn't know its value. Lucky find, though he does check the New Zealand equivalent of eBay every day for rare DG books.
I don't know about you guys but I seem to have stopped looking anymore. I think mainly because of pretty much having the full collection in non-ex library nice condition, but also there didn't seem to be anything exciting popping up any more. Nobody selling their nice collections now. Last coup was a great finale though (Caswallon aka probably Man from Miami)!

I check fairly regularly on Abe, eBay UK and US, and to be honest it’s junk. A few ratty versions turn up but it’s forever since I saw anything remotely interesting. I’m still looking for Last Sword. My copy is awful.

Last Sword I would argue is rarer than all the others based on how little it comes up. Unfortunately.

Yeah, like I said, nothing really interesting comes up - and with Last Sword in six + years of looking I've yet to see a fine one...

There was one... but I nobbled it. Bwhahaaaa!
(Sorry, couldn't resist) 16004533302183760622847760966002.jpg

1st/2nd though, so its not quite perfect!16004534685504434998424385456580.jpg

You'll be even more annoyed to hear that I bagged it for £154. This was a few years back, but probably less than six.

If its any consolation, there is mild spine lean and a small stain of somebody's blood (🤮) on the page block.

Oh yeah, no I remember, I was waiting for a payment to clear, and then it was gone. You mentioned the lean... I hate that. It’s poison to other books... urg. But otherwise it looks nice!

My guess is that it probably had a bigger print run compared to Legend and KBtG, but since his name was getting better known, more of the original run went to libraries than before and hence there is a less non-dog-eared copies in existence today. I find it slightly odd that this one and Lion had two impressions, making 1st/1st copies ridiculously rare, yet none of the other early books seemed to.

I wonder if it’s something else... I’d need to check my dates, but the reason you can’t get your hands on many hardbacks of the David Eddings Belgariad books was because they warehouse storing the entire Hc print run was flooded and the stock was basically wiped out. Last Sword was 88... the first Mallorean came out in 87... so it’s not impossible that the flood took them. It’s the kind of thing DG would have known, bur cant think of anyone else who would.

I didn't know that. It would explain the strange rarity of LSOP, especially 1st impressions that aren't in a right old state.

There had been something not quite right about my LSOP that I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. Examining again and I realised the dust cover had shifted sideways too far and become folded at the wrong place. This meant that the title on the spine was off centre. After much fannying around with it, I aligned it and it looks 'right' on my shelf now. Funny how I hadn't noticed it till now.
16005881724352982184257024488058.jpg

I've been wanting to write a David Gemmell style fantasy for years... when the art (by one of my favourite artists, Uwe Jarling) became available I knew it was the perfect one to go with the idea that's been brewing for a decade plus... it's that wonderful fusion of Luis Royo's original Waylander cover with Les Edwards fantastic King Beyond the Gate. It's exactly what I had in mind...
So, coming to you next year... 2021... the year of the Red Wolf.
red wolf.jpg

I've been wanting to write a David Gemmell style fantasy for years... when the art (by one of my favourite artists, Uwe Jarling) became available I knew it was the perfect one to go with the idea that's been brewing for a decade plus... it's that wonderful fusion of Luis Royo's original Waylander cover with Les Edwards fantastic King Beyond the Gate. It's exactly what I had in mind...
So, coming to you next year... 2021... the year of the Red Wolf.View attachment 1374869
Well I'm definitely very interested if course. Any extra juicy details you can share, or is it under wraps until later?

It has a great cover btw, I do like the look of the gothic castle in the background especially.

If you look at Royo's Waylander you see the painting style, and the soldier, castle, and the red cloak, a throwback to King Beyond... cunning eh?

Honestly, it's my pure Gemmell tribute, and I'm hoping to get it as close to those early books as I can in style and voice, as well as themes... but for a taste, it opens with a massive earthquake which opens a fissure in the land that reveals a long dead city, a place so redolent of evil the magicians of the Second Age sacrificed themselves, and the magic of the land, to bury it forever... but now it has resurfaced, along with it the Revenant King and his fell army, looking to lay waste to those who banished them... only now, hundreds of years on, the magic gone, the people are nowhere near as strong as they were, and can't hope to resist. The odds are stacked against them in what looks to become a desperate last stand for humanity...

Love the idea. Make sure you throw in a 'spun on his heel' attack as a subtle extra tribute some fans should get a smile from.

Cheers man. Yeah, it’s going to be my ‘nano’ project - I‘ve got a new toy coming, the Freewrite Traveler, and I intend to write for 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins at night, every day for November and see if I can’t get at least half of it in place...

Oh, you know that second hardcover Legend I picked up from EBay for about 10 quid? Just sold it for 300... so, yeah, bonus

H
Cheers man. Yeah, it’s going to be my ‘nano’ project - I‘ve got a new toy coming, the Freewrite Traveler, and I intend to write for 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins at night, every day for November and see if I can’t get at least half of it in place...

Oh, you know that second hardcover Legend I picked up from EBay for about 10 quid? Just sold it for 300... so, yeah, bonus
Heh hehe, nice profit. To be fair, the buyer got a great deal also. The only loser is the cheating husband/wife who came home to find their partner had sold their beautiful hardback Legend for £10 in revenge.

Hahah yeah, can you imagine? I still can't quit believe I got two excellent condition Legend hcs for 23 quid... madness.

Oh, I don't know if you write the blurb yourself, but see if you can get it to briefly set the scene, then introduce the three or four unlikely heroes who are the only hope to save the land, a deadly swordsman, a drunk giant with a heart of gold, a troubled priest holding at bay a terrible power and maybe an old longbow man/woman. Joking of course... kind of.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
If you haven't read Legend, then I strongly suggest that one. It is usually the book that all fans (almost) agree as his best work :)

Sword in the Storm is also a great place to start (and 99p). Legend was his first book and is fantastic but a little rough round the edges. He was much more of an experienced writer by SITS, and if you don't enjoy that one, Gemmell won't be for you.

Have you read any his books?
Sword in the Storm (which I enjoyed)but was ages ago and possibly the follow up part 2 of the saga. Which just checking on Amazon I also bought the first 4 parts. As someone mentioned in the Kindle book 99p thread Troy trilogy on at £2.97 but wondered if they have a plethora of characters and find hard keeping tabs on them all. Anyway looked and saw a lot of the books are reduced to 99p

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom