Days Gone (PS4)

After playing it, I was mystified by the lacklustre reviews because the game is stellar. Easily one of my favourite games of 2019.

I tried this today and I'm not impressed. The controls are worse than dreadful. After playing ghost of thingies, days gone plays very badly in comparison.
The graphics are decent for a pro game. But nothing special.
Sadly there's lots of childish language (swearing)
I gave up after 30 minutes of frustration.
I may try again. Then again. I may not.

I tried this today and I'm not impressed. The controls are worse than dreadful. After playing ghost of thingies, days gone plays very badly in comparison.
The graphics are decent for a pro game. But nothing special.
Sadly there's lots of childish language (swearing)
I gave up after 30 minutes of frustration.
I may try again. Then again. I may not.

Woah, i guess its just not for you then.

(sitting here biting my tongue so i dont rant about how good this game is ;))

It was a good game. But the side quests got a bit samey. And the hordes as good as they were you could do nothing but run from them.

It was a good game. But the side quests got a bit samey. And the hordes as good as they were you could do nothing but run from them.

I get that criticism and agree but it's pretty much the same for most open-world RPGs, isn't it? I'd be keen to know of any that have great variety of side quests. Assassins Creed Origins had a good variety and is probably the best for variety that I have played. But I'd like to know of more.

As for hordes, you can fight them once you skill up further, particularly in stamina, load up with the rapid-fire rifles, cocktail bombs etc. Also, increasing stamina far enough enables you to outrun them enough for them to turn back. I think there was a trophy for defeating all of them.

It was the most exhilarating, albeit pants staining experience! But one of the several elements that raised this to a status of being a great game for me.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed this, took me a few hours of playing to really get into it but if you persevere it is a great game. Hordes are a doddle once you've levelled up and got a couple of the best guns and maxed the ammo satchels for the bike.

It took me so long to realise that if you just run in a straight line, run not sprint, the hordes are programmed to not be able to catch you. Here’s me trying to kite them around all sorts of funky obstructions when I just need to keep running in the same direction.

It took me so long to realise that if you just run in a straight line, run not sprint, the hordes are programmed to not be able to catch you. Here’s me trying to kite them around all sorts of funky obstructions when I just need to keep running in the same direction.

Yes. I’ve led them a merry dance sometimes, especially round the Sawmill!

As long as you remain calm and don’t get impatient you can usually whittle them down bit by bit. Just don’t let the chasing group get too fragmented or you might get flanked.

Bought, played and sold this game within a few days of its original release as I found the start of the game clunky and uninspiring but decided to pick it up again as I kept hearing and reading good things about it.

Glad I did as it's much better than I originally gave it credit for. Still less than 10 hours into it but it's a lot of fun and more difficult than I imagined (playing on Hard 2). Maybe spent my Nero injectors on the wrong thing: went for health but seem to keep running out of stamina so will probably focus on that from now on. How do you find ingredients to craft the stamina boosting drug? I've been collecting loads of plants but don't seem able to craft it in the menu. Also struggling with the crossbow. Not got the hang of the reticule and how it works for targeting distant enemies.

I have come to this game very late but find it unbearably formulaic for it's genre compared to LoU 2.

About an hour in and I've no will to play it any further unfortunately. Time to start moving all my PS4 stuff on and prepare for the arrival of PS5.

The first few hours are a massive slog. The last few hours are an even longer slog but the middle part is really good fun.

I have come to this game very late but find it unbearably formulaic for it's genre compared to LoU 2.

About an hour in and I've no will to play it any further unfortunately. Time to start moving all my PS4 stuff on and prepare for the arrival of PS5.

That's exactly how I felt about it during the first few hours and I actually sold it and thought it was a pale imitation of games like TLOU, among others. But I gave it another shot this year and I'm glad I did as it's got a lot going for it and is really its own thing and isn't trying to impersonate a more narrative rich game like TLOU. The world you scoot around in on your bike is fun and presents you with lots of exciting encounters from hordes of zombies piling out of caves to marauders setting up traps to bring you off your bike. The camps are decent too, especially Iron Mike's camp which you'll reach in about 10 hours. Weapons and bike upgrades are picked up at the camps and you earn your keep with them via side missions that give you money and reputation at whichever camp hired you to do a job. Boozer isn't really a sidekick for the majority of the game so you don't need to worry about him riding out with you whenever you go out do something on the bike. Some people dislike his character and were probably worried that he'd tag along all the time.

Could be worth giving it about 5-10 hours if you can before binning it.

I've been playing this over the last couple of weeks and I'm really enjoying it. The first few hours weren't terribly exciting, but I stuck with it and it definitely gets better. I've just got to the south part of the map and reached the militia camp, but I've still not got the knack of dealing with hordes.

As others have said, and which I also found, is to give it a 4 or 5 hours as it really does start slow before picking up.

Damn, I'm stuck. I hate it when that happens.

I've reached the militia camp and got the newt in the red t-shirt for Sarah, but now I need to clear the horde and I just can't do it. I've tried the methods in a couple of YouTube videos, but I'm rubbish at it.

I'm going to leave it for a short while and come back to it because it's be a shame to get this far into the game and then abandon it.

Damn, I'm stuck. I hate it when that happens.

I've reached the militia camp and got the newt in the red t-shirt for Sarah, but now I need to clear the horde and I just can't do it. I've tried the methods in a couple of YouTube videos, but I'm rubbish at it.

I'm going to leave it for a short while and come back to it because it's be a shame to get this far into the game and then abandon it.

Try 5 times (as best you can!) and the game will actually progress you as if you were successful at defeating the hoard. This will only be for story-based hoard missions, for all other side quest hoards, wait until you finish the game or have built up full stamina and equipped with powerful rapid fire rifles. This also doesn't affect trophies if you going for platinum. The game wants you to enjoy the story campaign and not get stuck but still coaxes you into giving it your best shot :)

Try 5 times (as best you can!) and the game will actually progress you as if you were successful at defeating the hoard. This will only be for story-based hoard missions, for all other side quest hoards, wait until you finish the game or have built up full stamina and equipped with powerful rapid fire rifles. This also doesn't affect trophies if you going for platinum. The game wants you to enjoy the story campaign and not get stuck but still coaxes you into giving it your best shot :)

I think I've tried 4 times so I'll give it another go then. It already got me to knock it down to the easiest difficulty and I still can't do it! :laugh:

I think I've tried 4 times so I'll give it another go then. It already got me to knock it down to the easiest difficulty and I still can't do it! :laugh:

Same here! That first horde was mad and terrifying (I loved being terrified, though, lol!). It was all down to not being skilled up enough on stamina in particular...maximum stamina enables you to outrun them and then gun them down as they approach then outrun them again, etc. But I was spreading the Nero injections evenly up to that point, so my stamina was severely short. In hindsight, get more nero injections into stamina as early as possible would have been the best prep. But as I say, the game will give you five chances (it pops up with a message along the lines of do you wish to try again or continue story). Taking the latter option, the game takes pity on you (and me back then, lol) making you a victor, but not only that, you get the full stack of ears to collect too, make sure you grab them up.

Thereafter, collect your Nero injections at the Nero Checkpoints and max out your stamina as a priority. Stay away from the Nero Research locations as that's where most of the hordes are. Only tackle them when you levelled up to feeling like a bubble gum chewing, badass and go commando or ripley on them.

I did it! :clap: I went back to a save that was just before the mission start and changed my weapons to automatics. I also did a few more Nero research points first to get the injectors and increased my stamina a bit more.
I was a bit more careful placing the proximity bombs this time so that they were closer to the oil barrels for maximum damage and managed to do it on the first try.

Game completed. I enjoyed the game so much that even after getting the platinum trophy I carried on playing to get all the collectables and clear the hordes. Normally once I've got the platinum I'm done.
Overall it's a really good game. It's not perfect, but it's definitely one I recommend.

what's the deal with saving in this game?

I thought I would give this a go on PS5 as part of the PS collection.

started a game last night,

arrived at my 1st base i think with a mate. after the dialogue finished, saved my game then went out to look for my bike. cleared a nearby camp and then found another camp with some more dialogue again.

saved it again and turned it off. upon re-loading I'm back at the at the part of arriving at the base. I tried continuing and manually loading the save. but nothing can get me back to where i actually saved.

what's that all about?

what's the deal with saving in this game?

I thought I would give this a go on PS5 as part of the PS collection.

started a game last night,

arrived at my 1st base i think with a mate. after the dialogue finished, saved my game then went out to look for my bike. cleared a nearby camp and then found another camp with some more dialogue again.

saved it again and turned it off. upon re-loading I'm back at the at the part of arriving at the base. I tried continuing and manually loading the save. but nothing can get me back to where i actually saved.

what's that all about?

That doesn't sound right. I'm still playing it on the PS4 (game seems to go on forever. I started playing over the summer!) and when I make a save and restart the game I'm exactly where I left off. Possibly a bug specific to the PS5 and the way it saves the game? How are you saving the game? Sometimes I hold triangle next to the bike and at other times I'll go into the menu and save. Both methods always return me to the last save state.

That doesn't sound right. I'm still playing it on the PS4 (game seems to go on forever. I started playing over the summer!) and when I make a save and restart the game I'm exactly where I left off. Possibly a bug specific to the PS5 and the way it saves the game? How are you saving the game? Sometimes I hold triangle next to the bike and at other times I'll go into the menu and save. Both methods always return me to the last save state.

Im saving via the menu. Its all a bit scripted so far and not had the option to save with the bike yet. When i look at the saves, mine is shown as i would expect it along with some autosaves.

Its woking properly now i have access to the bike. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom