Dedicated Cinema Room - Light Control and Wall/ Ceiling Treatment

I'm waiting for a couple of items before I start the MVEL22 panelling for my home cinema. This is how it is at present.
And here is the 'Finished' result. Showing how I made the frames with provision for DB box, switches & sockets. Does anyone have any tips on how to cover speakers without stapling?
IMG_20200713_172506[1].jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200715_112750[1].jpg
    IMG_20200715_112750[1].jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_20200715_112943[1].jpg
    IMG_20200715_112943[1].jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20200715_122036[1].jpg
    IMG_20200715_122036[1].jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 202
^When I was in the car audio game we use to use contact adhesive when the panels were too thin for stapling but you will always be best to use a staple gun when ever possible.

May I ask why you don't want to use staples?

Last edited:
made the frames with provision for DB box

The frame is looking incredibly sturdy. Looks like it can take a few tonnes, provided connections are solid:thumbsup:

I'm toying with the idea of making a wooden frame for the back of each speaker leaving it loose or sitting on a rubber gasket then stapling to that. The fabric should serve to keep the frame in place. I over ordered 2 x 1 timber so I've got plenty left over to play with. Do you think that would work?

The frame is looking incredibly sturdy. Looks like it can take a few tonnes, provided connections are solid:thumbsup:
I made the mistake with the first few frames of not putting in cross braces. The first frames were 4200mm x 1080mm which compounded the error. I got away with it apart from on one panel which skewed a little and messed up my line for the next panel. So I probably over engineered them after that and used cross braces regardless.

Do you think that would work?
Whilst it would probably work practically, I am not sure if that would affect the sound, whether it's vibrations, reflections or something else. I'm sure other people would give you better advice :)
So I probably over engineered them after that and used cross braces regardless.
My lecturer said this during my first class in uni: "Triangle is the most stable structure".

I’ve made four MVEL22 panels and the difference it makes is stark. I’ve used a cordless staple gun which really makes attaching the fabric straightforward. I’m going to put Rockwool in the panels later this week as the room needs to deaden a bit.

Attachments

• A02B2C23-FC98-4799-B068-76A473B4F28B.jpeg
    A02B2C23-FC98-4799-B068-76A473B4F28B.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 187
And believe it or not you will get equally as great a difference with the ceiling done.

Yup that’s my next area to get sorted. I’m going to make some internal changes the room over the next few months including a partition wall to house the projector and av equipment and at this point will put in black carpet and fabric ceiling.

Once Tia Knight have MVEL back in stock I will continue the wall panels for another 2 metres.

I’m not sure in terms of how to go about the ceiling, I would rather do it DIY............

Yup that’s my next area to get sorted. I’m going to make some internal changes the room over the next few months including a partition wall to house the projector and av equipment and at this point will put in black carpet and fabric ceiling.

Once Tia Knight have MVEL back in stock I will continue the wall panels for another 2 metres.

I’m not sure in terms of how to go about the ceiling, I would rather do it DIY............

You could use the self adhesive flock material on your ceiling that I used on both my ceiling and walls. If that idea sound too extreme you could buy high density foam tiles that are about 2ft x 2ft and cover them with this flock, due to their light weight you could then tac these to your ceiling. On removal all you would need to is fill the holes and repaint.

You could use the self adhesive flock material on your ceiling that I used on both my ceiling and walls. If that idea sound too extreme you could buy high density foam tiles that are about 2ft x 2ft and cover them with this flock, due to their light weight you could then tac these to your ceiling. On removal all you would need to is fill the holes and repaint.

The problem here is the MVEL22 is quite a bit darker than the flock material (I’ve got both in my room), so the flock will look dark grey in comparison to his side panels.

Ideally, mounting panels in the ceiling like he’s been doing on the walls in the best bet. I screwed my acoustic panels up on the ceiling, managing to butt them up to each other length ways and get them within a screws width of each other width ways using the following fixings:

Plain Mirror Plates Electro Brass 38 x 38 x 38mm 10 Pack - then paint over these in black paint.

The flock material will then work for areas not directly in your eyeline, so above your head for example. This is what I’ve done in my room.

Combining ideas on this thread - I’ve got a box of acoustic foam unused the in the garage. Perhaps it would work to glue these onto some mdf or chipboard and then cover in MVEL and then attach to to the ceiling?

Combining ideas on this thread - I’ve got a box of acoustic foam unused the in the garage. Perhaps it would work to glue these onto some mdf or chipboard and then cover in MVEL and then attach to to the ceiling?

Could do mate. Not sure how effective that foam actually is though, certainly not as good as rockwool.

I used some to help with containing sound for my PJ but didn’t feel they offered anything for other forms of treatment.

Acoustic foam does nothing in terms of sound insulation it will deadon sound to an extent at best but that is all.

If your literally just looking for a way to attach velvet to your ceiling why not just make some light wooden frames, IMHO i see no need for anytype of sound insulation for the small part of the ceiling you will be doing, the velvet alone will deadon some sound, looking at it from a more logical point, surely there can't be any sound reflection points in that area to deal with.

If your literally just looking for a way to attach velvet to your ceiling why not just make some light wooden frames, IMHO i see no need for anytype of sound insulation for the small part of the ceiling you will be doing, the velvet alone will deadon some sound, looking at it from a more logical point, surely there can't be any sound reflection points in that area to deal with.

First reflection points are:
Walls
Floor
Ceiling

Having acoustic treatment on all of these areas helped my room massively. @Owl40 has a timber structure, very similar to mine, he will definitely get a benefit from adding acoustic treatment to this area.

I'm planning to cover me ceiling with mvell in a couple of weeks. Rather than make wooden frames like I did for the walls and pelmet I'm thinking of fabric tracks and getting someone to sew the mvell together into one large sheet so as I can cover it in one piece.

The problem here is the MVEL22 is quite a bit darker than the flock material (I’ve got both in my room), so the flock will look dark grey in comparison to his side panels.

The flock material will then work for areas not directly in your eyeline, so above your head for example. This is what I’ve done in my room.

Seriously, then MVEL22 must be even darker than the flock they put of the frames of fixed frame screens because my flock is identical in darkness to it.

Seriously, then MVEL22 must be even darker than the flock they put of the frames of fixed frame screens because my flock is identical in darkness to it.

It’s quite a bit darker mate.

More expensive frames use darker material.

The adhesive flock is grey in comparison to the MVEL22. Ive tried all of them, initially I had devore but it was too directional, it was very dark at certain angles, but lit up light a lightbulb if the nap was the wrong way.

MVEL22 is definitely the best stuff for overall home cinema use.

It’s quite a bit darker mate.

More expensive frames use darker material.

The adhesive flock is grey in comparison to the MVEL22. Ive tried all of them, initially I had devore but it was too directional, it was very dark at certain angles, but lit up light a lightbulb if the nap was the wrong way.

MVEL22 is definitely the best stuff for overall home cinema use.

Interesting, I suppose if I were to do it again I would look at it instead but now I have my room completely done in the flock and happy with the results I couldn’t see myself changing it now.

Interesting, I suppose if I were to do it again I would look at it instead but now I have my room completely done in the flock and happy with the results I couldn’t see myself changing it now.

The self adhesive stuff is excellent, its also nice and easy to work with, I have used it in my room and have also covered my front two atmos speakers and half of my surround speakers to stop reflections catching your eye, I'd certainly recommend anyone who is serous about a complete bat cave, to at least have a roll handy.

Another advantage of the MVEL22 though is that its also acoustically transparent.

I have curtains that pull over my sidewalls, I've just installed front wide speakers, the curtains pull over these so they can't be seen.

Another advantage of the MVEL22 though is that its also acoustically transparent.
Agreed, on certain movie nights I have the full front stage behind MVEL22 with no tangible difference to audio, well not to my ears anyways.

Agreed, on certain movie nights I have the full front stage behind MVEL22 with no tangible difference to audio, well not to my ears anyways.

REW shows a slight difference at higher frequencies if the material is in front of a speaker. For me its no issue as the curtains are a permanent feature so EQ sorts this out anyway.

The self adhesive stuff is excellent, its also nice and easy to work with, I have used it in my room and have also covered my front two atmos speakers and half of my surround speakers to stop reflections catching your eye, I'd certainly recommend anyone who is serous about a complete bat cave, to at least have a roll handy.

I have curtains that pull over my sidewalls, I've just installed front wide speakers, the curtains pull over these so they can't be seen.

The issue I have/had with my room was the sloped walls, hanging material would have involved something less nice and probably multiple curtain poles etc. In think in my situation the flock was the logical if not the ultimate solution.

Ideally I would have loved to have had built in speakers, actually had ones bought too but the seller had forgot to cancel the listed after he sold them and they weren’t available despite showing they were. At some point I might make the switch or even build in the surrounds I already have.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom