Deep Blue Sea 1-3 (2020)

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Deep Blue Sea 2 VOD

Darin Scott (“House Party : Tonight’s the Night”) has been shooting the film in Cape Town, with newly announced “Aquaman” co-star (and “Third Watch” alum) Michael Beach among the cast.

The film is being produced as a telefilm for the SyFy channel, so don’t expect cameos from any of the original “Deep Blue Sea” players (namely Thomas Jane).

There’s been numerous attempts at getting a sequel to the 1999 film off the ground (most recently Jack Perez spoke about his experience scripting the film — no word if this is his same script being used), initially under the Warner Bros umbrella. But no surprise really to see SyFy has courted the franchise, especially with their “Sharknado” success. SyFy also nabbed Fox’s “Lake Placid” a few years ago, producing a direct to video sequel to it. So clearly studio monster movie franchises that are laying dormant are on their to-snare list.

The basic plot that we know so far is: Dr Klaus Van Etten is experimenting on bull sharks, much to the chagrin of Misty and her team of marine experts. The sharks get out, of course, and all hell breaks loose.

SharkTA-DXNRE3.jpg

details about the originally cancelled sequel
Deep Blue Sea 2 would have delivered smart sharks with big guns

Last edited:
Not sure it needed the first one!

The first one is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, but yeah, a sequel is complete unnecessary and at least 15 years too late!

Last edited:
the sharknado business model is obviously working, so why not follow suit, it probably make its money back and more, around the world.

seeing as it's going to be a syfy film, it's a given that it'll be disappointing compared to the the last one (which I think is ace), but it could still be entertaining. The synopsis reads like it's pretty much just a remake on the cheap.

Deep Blue sea , now that's solved where this came from.
movie shark 1.jpg

movie shark.jpg

I saw the original in the cinema and loved every minute. Brilliant B movie. LL Cool J rocked. Sam Jackson...we all know what happens. ;)

Yeah sign me up! Loved the first one.

Sharknado can bog off. Deep Blue Sea is all the parody the shark genre ever needed.

Don't be dissing Sharknado pal :D

Did you see "Lavalantula" yet ?

It's a total guilty pleasure, but damn if the first film wasn't a massive amount of fun. Harlin's last decent film. In the name of all that is good in the world though, don't let SyFy have some One Direction chump cover this classic.

will premiere on Syfy in 2018, Rated R for “creature violence and gore, and for language.”
The plot kicks off with shark conservationist Dr. Misty Calhoun invited to consult on a top-secret project run by pharmaceutical billionaire Carl Durant (Beach). Calhoun is shocked to learn that the company is using the unpredictable and highly aggressive bull sharks as its test subjects. You can probably guess where this goes next, and Warner Bros. teases some “personality” from the sharks that’ll be menacing these hapless humans.”
We are a true sequel. We wanted to keep to the spirit of Deep Blue Sea and why people love it,” Matt Bierman, creative executive for Warner Bros, recently said. “The research that was used on the sharks in Deep Blue Sea 2 comes from the mythology and story line of the first movie. We have given the lead shark a personality and hope the fans will embrace that as it really helps the story telling and the narrative in a way that first one didn’t. Deep Blue Sea 2 has a slightly slower build but once the rubber band snaps things go boom really quickly!
deep-blue-sea-2.jpg

More smart sharks, just what we need.

What fans may not know is that Warner Bros. intended to produce a DVD sequel to Harlin’s film for the Warner Premiere label.

Jack Perez, a talented and resourceful filmmaker whose Asylum flick Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus had become a viral sensation, and who had previously taken the plunge into DTV-sequel waters with Wild Things 2.

Jack Perez; http://comicbook.com/popculturenow/2017/04/28/great-white-shark-chomp-down-whale/
“I went in with a pitch,” recalls Perez, whose credits also include the cult horror/comedy Some Guy Who Kills People. “I didn’t know exactly what they were looking for, but it seemed that the natural way to go was to jack it up the way Aliens had jacked things up into a combat film. So that’s what I pitched, and Matt Bierman, the senior vice president at Warner Premiere, essentially said, ‘That sounds great.’ It was one of those rare circumstances where you pitch something and they just say, ‘Good, you’ve got the job to write and direct it.’ It was funny, because I had gone up for different directing jobs at Warner Premiere and hadn’t landed anything, but I think it was because Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus was in the air, and their thinking was, ‘Well, this guy knows sharks, so he’s perfect for Deep Blue Sea 2.’ ”

The scenario Perez came up with was more a conceptual than a direct sequel to Deep Blue Sea, as the studio put him under no obligation to continue its story. “What they were interested in was keeping the theme of shark experimentation,” Perez recalls. “The script is about this scientific research ship that is seized by Somali pirates, and a team of Navy SEALs have to go in and take them out. The whole ship is basically a gigantic floating laboratory, with a maze of tunnels that the sharks can travel through that open up into tanks.” Into this seabound shark Habitrail go Sgt. Nate Pickett, NSA geneticist/marine biologist Dr. Alexandra Cruz and Pickett’s multiculti team of bad-ass soldiers. “My thinking was that this was Sgt. Rock vs. sharks, so I developed this platoon kind of based on my favorite Sgt. Rock characters. To a certain degree, it was similar to what they did in Predator; there were definitely echoes of that sort of motley group

The DEEP BLUE SEA-quel We Never Saw

that looks pretty much like a lower budget carbon copy of the first one

That’ll do then if it’s a straight to Video job.

it'll be straight to syfy channel before that, which is no bad thing really. At least I won't have to wait to watch it. Or pay, even.

(Coughs and clears throat for a full minute before approaching the microphone) More like CHEAP Blue Sea.

watched this today. It's actually worse than I thought it'd be :laugh:
It's basically the first film redone on the cheap as a syfy channel flick... but with extra added dumbness lifted from other films thrown in.
You had budget Jason Momoa as one of the shark wranglers, cut-price Mickey Rourke as the lawyer, bargain basement Thomas Jane and even lower rent Michael Rappaport clones all playing the characters you expect them to play in the way you expect them to play them in a story that plays out exactly how you think it will. Some scenes and events are lifted from the original so blatantly it feels almost verbatim.
But, we're blessed with a female lead, a scientist, that's all about the cleavage and seems to be allergic to clothes. She reminded me of all those recent "I'm sciencing" Trump girl memes with Ivanka in the lab coat doing science, that's the angle this whole film's coming from.
It's kind of sad that it took them 20 years to roll out a sequel and this is the best they could come up with. It's syfy original and asylum mockbuster all the way. It's not without it's entertainment value though, if you can measure that in facepalms and point and laugh moments, but it's a dreadful film and so much less than the original deserves for a sequel. Aswell as 20 years too late.

watched this today. It's actually worse than I thought it'd be :laugh:
It's basically the first film redone on the cheap as a syfy channel flick... but with extra added dumbness lifted from other films thrown in.
You had budget Jason Momoa as one of the shark wranglers, cut-price Mickey Rourke as the lawyer, bargain basement Thomas Jane and even lower rent Michael Rappaport clones all playing the characters you expect them to play in the way you expect them to play them in a story that plays out exactly how you think it will. Some scenes and events are lifted from the original so blatantly it feels almost verbatim.
But, we're blessed with a female lead, a scientist, that's all about the cleavage and seems to be allergic to clothes. She reminded me of all those recent "I'm sciencing" Trump girl memes with Ivanka in the lab coat doing science, that's the angle this whole film's coming from.
It's kind of sad that it took them 20 years to roll out a sequel and this is the best they could come up with. It's syfy original and asylum mockbuster all the way. It's not without it's entertainment value though, if you can measure that in facepalms and point and laugh moments, but it's a dreadful film and so much less than the original deserves for a sequel. Aswell as 20 years too late.

agree its bad, made the first film look more amazing.
smaller budget base, check
less sharks and action, check
cost cutting on actors, check
cleavage candy, check mate

Laurence Fishburne's moment was hilarious :rotfl:, so there was that

the original sharks were bad ass and front and centre in that film, here they are bit part players, like chefs knives slicing and dicing 5/10

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom