Question Delivered a free TV, what to do?

Letter has been written tonight, it'll go recorded.

There are lots of different terminologies when it comes to letters and parcels.

You may be using the wrong one, but mean something different. So this is just for clarity so you ask for the correct thing.

Royal Mail Website said:
What is Recorded delivery? Much like with Tracked delivery, you will be sent a receipt when the parcel is delivered. However, Recorded delivery only provides proof of postage - not proof of receiving it - because no one needs to sign for the item.

This is not what you want.

You need a service where someone signs for it, not just puts it through a letterbox and records they've done so.
Royal Mail are not asking for signatures just now due to COVID but a signed for service means the letter will be handed to someone and they will be required to give a name.

Sorry guys, i have had to remove the name of the retailer as we have only heard one side.
I am not doubting what you say is true, but it could be harmful for AVF if we start naming and shaming.
Fair enough, I respect your position and judgement as a moderator. But there are many posts on this forum which criticise specific retailers for shoddy service etc, what’s the difference here?

that would be sat in my house for a month and if no one came it would mine. The big chains earn enough money from us and the way most treat us after is a joke.

And you'd be liable to pay for it 12 months later if they discovered it and the law would be on their side.

Dishonesty is dishonesty, regardless of how wealthy you think the company is.

Last edited:
Items that firms send to you, but you didn't actually order are called "unsolicited goods". You're well within your rights to keep them.

You have no obligation to send them back to the company or to pay for them. If a company demands payment, that's a criminal offense.

But this doesn't apply to items sent to you by mistake (as happened here); if the order was sent to you effectively replace and refunded; or if it's extra stuff on top of what you ordered.

The firm has left goods with you that weren't unsolicited goods, they still belong to the trader and you should try to give them back.

Firms can take you to court to recover their goods.

That happened last Christmas when online retailer Zavvi sent customers games consoles worth £170, instead of games that cost £20.

You simply need to send a real letter with proof of posting asking them to collect their good. No phone calls. I would repeat the process in 28 days in they have no contacted or collected the goods.

I still have 2 sets of bodybuilding bars (Yes the trader sent the item twice to the same wrong address) in my garage that was meant for someone in Irland, impossible to contact the seller by phone/letter.

@ashenfie You've just reiterated the first post I made in the thread and it's what the OP is doing. It's good advice.

Unlike Dave's.

Fair enough, I respect your position and judgement as a moderator. But there are many posts on this forum which criticise specific retailers for shoddy service etc, what’s the difference here?
Without getting into a discussion and derailing the thread, the very first line of the rules for posting on AVF are:
when posting
  1. must not submit libellous, insulting, antagonistic, racist, aggressive or otherwise abusive Content about any individual or company.
There are only so many MODS and quite lot of posts and replies which need checking (each and every one), so obviously some will 'slip the net'. This one may have as well if its wasn't something i was interested in.

By all means PM people, just try not to post things that could get AVF into trouble.

So if, they DONT come and collect the TV in this timeframe I've given in the letter that I sent today (tracked and signed) , then what can I legally do about this TV? I mean, what's the law on this? Do I realistically have to keep this at my house forever and a day just incase one day in the next 6 years they can be bothered to fetch it?

If they don't and you're being reasonable, then legally it's yours.

The retailer you named being the retailer they are I can imagine a few letters back and forth, possibly some legal threats.
Keep note of everything and if they start legal threats and you've done everything you should I'd first inform them they are illegally harassing you as they've had ample time to collect at a convenient time.

This is what happened to me with the Synology NAS.

If they keep it up then contact Citizens Advice.

Last edited:
Why don't you check with Citizens Advice or if you have legal cover on your home insurance a quick phone call to check your legal rights might be an option?

If they are being difficult about the time to pick up the TV then I would suggest that you agree to their inconvenient time and as you will not be there because of work you will leave on your front doorstep at their risk. Advise that you will take a photo of it as you leave as proof it was there when you left.

Show them how it's done.

@kristianity77 - Thug's advice is very good.
Personally I would take that as a basis for actions.

So if, they DONT come and collect the TV in this timeframe I've given in the letter that I sent today (tracked and signed) , then what can I legally do about this TV? I mean, what's the law on this? Do I realistically have to keep this at my house forever and a day just incase one day in the next 6 years they can be bothered to fetch it?
AVForums has a wonderful TV Classifieds section.

Send letter stating 30days to pick up at your own (not theirs) convenient time due to loss of work time which they don't pay. Emails only or letter communication. If they don't pick up its yours, if they continue to harass just tell them you will launch legal action against them for harassment. Technically you not purchased this tv so you not obliged to any contracts with them. TV is on your property due to their own mistake so they better start taking it back or you will stick it in the yard to rain as have no space in house or tell them that you will report as lost item to police! Police will take it and good luck them taking it back from them :thumbsup:
Not good advice re leaving it out in the rain.

If they are being difficult about the time to pick up the TV then I would suggest that you agree to their inconvenient time and as you will not be there because of work you will leave on your front doorstep at their risk. Advise that you will take a photo of it as you leave as proof it was there when you left.
Throughout all this OP has a duty to care for the tv which belongs to the company so if he does as you suggest what happens if it gets stolen because he left it unattended?

Not good advice re leaving it out in the rain.
have no legal obligations so can keep whether you want ;) at the end of the day its an item which is not yours but on your property. if they faf around call police as lost item since no one collected that will teach retailer a lesson to respect others time :D

have no legal obligations so can keep whether you want ;) at the end of the day its an item which is not yours but on your property. if they faf around call police as lost item since no one collected that will teach retailer a lesson to respect others time :D
Perhaps you might like to rewrite that in a sensible way or at least more sensible than it is .

I do hope the OP will keep us updated on the situation. I'm intrigued to what happens !

It's better than what is on TV!

Personally I don't see why you need to go to the effort (time and expense) of sending a recorded or registered letter.
You've used email and social media (one of which has resulted in a response?) Therefore you can easily prove you've taken reasonable steps to contact them.
I don't think you need to ALSO send a letter. It's up to them now.
I'm not saying sick the tv on the wall and start a TV series marathon!!! I'm saying keep it brand new in box somewhere aside (hoping you have the space) and wait a reasonable amount of time for them to contact you with a mutually agreeable collection time.

Remember, this is a TV. The value drops like cars!!!
By the time customer services finally get round you reading your initial attempted correspondence, we'll all be enjoying 16k TVs in our homes!!!
The longer it goes uncollected, the less value it has to them.
I think you've already done enough. You've advised that their suggested collection times are not suitable. Let them contact you, end of.

Because there is physical proof that is not in Curry's hands.
If need be it can be examined by an expert.
There are people who can fake a sent email without leaving evidence.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom