Dell Optiplex 3070 question

mattressback

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi thinking about a new pc, not a gamer on pc but want something’s that’s quick and gonna last a few years for about £500

so I saw this

i have a samsung 860 evo ssd in my current pc which I’d like to transfer to this for data storage and also a 4t 3.5 inch data drive

Here’s the bit where I don’t really know what I’m talking about...

just wondering if anyone knows if the motherboard in this is SATA 2 or 3? Will I get full speed Data transfer on my evo 860?

also the psu on these mini towers is an odd elongated shape does that mean I’m limited to this specific dell psu?

does this psu have all the connectors I would need for my 2 data drives?

I believe all motherboards these days are SATA 6Gbps (aka SATA 3). I haven't seen mention of SATA 3Gb/s or SATA II for a few years.

There are thin off the shelf power supplies available such as TFX and FlexATX. The back view actually looks like Intel's old LFX form factor, but there's clearly plenty of dead space to fit something larger.

The main factor in PSU compatibility will be power connectors. Going by this image it appears to have gone for a 12V-only PSU - note the tiny motherboard power connectors - which haven't really taken off in the enthusiast/workstation scene:

12V-only setups also have the SATA power connectors coming off the motherboard, not the PSU. I can't tell you how many connectors the included cables provide or what the port is rated for.

Thanks for the reply. regarding fitting my extra hdds could they be ran using splitter cables for both SATA and power? If it turned out to be not enough capacity as it is

Splitting the power is possible but it needs to be there in the first place, draw more power than the motherboard is designed to output and you'll shorten it's lifespan. On the other hand SSDs are undemanding and as it's got a 3.5" bay it's likely designed to handle those loads.

Splitting the data connection is more complicated. It's not simple wiring, you need a device called a port multiplier to handle the extra drives and the motherboard's SATA controller needs explicit support for port multipliers. I'd assume that's a no-go and just buy a PC that has sufficient SATA ports if this one doesn't.

Thanks again, I’ll maybe try and contact dell and see if they can give me some specs. If they reply...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom