Dennon 2600 power amp connection

Soepy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Is it possible to connect a power amp to this please. I seen in the amp assign that you can but can't see on the amp where to connect an input? TIA

Pre out's for an external power amp are here, where it says Zone 2

1589977261775.png

The AVRX2600 doesn't include pre outs for the main room channels so you'd not be able to connect an external power amp to power any of the speakers in the main room. The only pre outs are those in association with a second audio zone and those associated with the subwoofer(s).

If wanting to use pre outs to power speakers in the main room with then you'd need a receiver with pre outs for the associated channels.

Last edited:
Not on the 2600 is you wish to use channels additional to a 7.1 or a 5.1.2 set up. You would need the next model up on the Denon model ladder and that is the 3600.

The 2600 supports assigning 2 pairs of front speakers using the Zone2 as a second pair of fronts, which are selectable to use either A or B. Surely if you used Zone2 as Front pair B and selected them, this would allow pre-outs for a selected B-pair of fronts. This would limit the system to 5.1 but would allow using a power amp for the front 2 speakers.

Its a question rather than assertion as i don't have a 2600 to play with.

The 2600 supports assigning 2 pairs of front speakers using the Zone2 as a second pair of fronts, which are selectable to use either A or B. Surely if you used Zone2 as Front pair B and selected them, this would allow pre-outs for a selected B-pair of fronts. This would limit the system to 5.1 but would allow using a power amp for the front 2 speakers.

Its a question rather than assertion as i don't have a 2600 to play with.
Zone B is stereo only therefore the Zone would have a full downmixed signal and cannot be used as part of the surround set up.

I don't think that the reassignment changes the zone 2 pre outs and the pre outs remain associated with zone 2 irrespective of whether you reassign the back terminals as speaker B or not. It is only the amplification associated with the back channels that is reassigned and the zone 2 pre outs are not repurposed.

The Zone 2 pre outs would be zone 2 pre outs and not speaker B outputs.

by default 2020-05-20 at 14.48.56.png

The manual indicates that the zone 2 pre outs remain zone 2 pre outs if reassigning the back terminals to power front B speakers:

by default 2020-05-20 at 14.50.43.png

Last edited:
As I said @dante01 I dont know as I have never tried it I was just reading them manual, it was more of a throwing it out there. I wasn't sure if the assignment was done at the pre-amp stage or not. If it was its feasible, if it isn't, it is not.

It is just another reassignment option for the back speaker terminals and their associated amplification, like bi-amping or top middle. THe Front B option still leaves the Zone 2 pre outs free for use as an a=output for a second zone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom