Denon AVC A11XV Audyssey MultEQ XT... does it work with blu ray 5.1 analog?

onlyvik

Established Member
Reaction score
:) Goodmorning members,

I have a question:

I still own an "old" :oops: Denon AVC A11XV amp.

I want to buy the Denon DBP 4010 UD blu ray player when released and connect it to the analog input (5.1) of my A11XV amp.

Does the Audyssey MultEQ XT function still work when connected this way?

Thanks in advance ;)

Pretty sure it can't as the A11XV doesn't have the option to enable DSP processing on it's EXT In's. Why not just connect via HDMI and let the Blu Ray player do the decoding? That way you can still enable Audyssey etc on the A11XV.

Pretty sure it can't as the A11XV doesn't have the option to enable DSP processing on it's EXT In's. Why not just connect via HDMI and let the Blu Ray player do the decoding? That way you can still enable Audyssey etc on the A11XV.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to connect with hdmi because that way i don't have the best HD sound available with this receiver, or am i wrong? i thought the AVC A11XVA can handle it but not the AVC A11XV

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...3908-list-older-av-receivers-accept-lpcm.html

Correct me if i am wrong :smashin:

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to connect with hdmi because that way i don't have the best HD sound available with this receiver, or am i wrong? i thought the AVC A11XVA can handle it but not the AVC A11XV

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...3908-list-older-av-receivers-accept-lpcm.html

Correct me if i am wrong :smashin:

The AVC-A11XVA can accept 7.1 channels of PCM through one of its HDMI inputs. The AVC-A11XV can 'only' accept 5.1 channels of PCM through its HDMI inputs. Thats the only difference, audio wise, between the 2 amps I believe.

Add a suitable Blu-ray player, that can decode the lossless (Dolby True HD, DTS-HDMA) codecs to PCM (and output that PCM through the HDMI output), and you're sorted. :smashin:

The AVC-A11XVA can accept 7.1 channels of PCM through one of its HDMI inputs. The AVC-A11XV can 'only' accept 5.1 channels of PCM through its HDMI inputs. Thats the only difference, audio wise, between the 2 amps I believe.

Add a suitable Blu-ray player, that can decode the lossless (Dolby True HD, DTS-HDMA) codecs to PCM (and output that PCM through the HDMI output), and you're sorted. :smashin:

Thanks for the reply.

If i would connect it the way you mentioned with HDMI, will it be better, or the same as connecting analog 5.1 from a good blu ray player? i thought that 5.1/7.1 analog from a good blu ray player is much better than pcm through hdmi? the only thing that would be missing is the Audyssey function?

Hi..

Use the lossless PCM from the HDMI. The componets in the A11XV are superb, and at least as good as all but the top end blu ray players.

You don't just lose Audyssey, you also lose THX processing etc.. Using the 5.1 inputs, it'll just be a dumb amp.

Although my current setup increases the effect, I tried my AVC-A11XVA via 7.1 analogue from my Panasonic BD55. Compared to the lossless PCM into the amp, it was rubbish. The Denon 4010 will be better, but I reckon the amp will still do a beter job.

I'll try both again when I get my Denon 2010, but my money is on HDMI.

Try both... let us know what you think!

Hi again! I thought I'd answer here, (as opposed to a PM) so I can be corrected if needed, and so others can add their input.

So you want to hear the new HD codecs on Blu-ray disc.
HD audio comes in 3 basic varieties on Blu-ray disc, but the end results are the same- multichannel PCM. This multichannel PCM then needs to get decoded to analog (either in your Denon amp or in a seperate Blu-ray player), so it can be amplified and sent to your speakers.

Those 3 varieties?
On a Blu-ray disc you'll see the lossless soundtrack labelled as either:
PCM
Dolby True HD
DTS-HD Master Audio

The last 2 formats are really clever, they are essentially a PCM soundtrack 'compressed' to make it occupy a smaller space. When a Dolby True HD, or DTS-HDMA soundtrack is decoded (or rather de-compressed), either in an AV amp, or in a Blu-ray player the end result is the same, multi-channel PCM.

Now, (if using HDMI), WHERE those compressed lossless formats (Dolby True HD/DTS-HDMA) are decompressed/decoded doesn't really matter. Whether decoded either in the amp (which your amp cant do anyway), or in the player itself (essential for you, as your amp cant decode the compressed lossless formats), the result is exactly the same- mutichannel PCM. And that multichannel PCM will then be decoded to analog sound by the very lovely DACs in your Denon amp.

If you choose to use the analog inputs on your Denon amp however, things could be different. You would no longer be using the DACs in your amp, but the DACs in the Blu-ray player of your choice. These may either be of a better or lesser quality than the ones in your Denon AVC-A11XV amp.

Your amp can accept:

ANALOG INPUTS: up to 7.1 channels, but NOT able to apply Audyssey processing (so if you want 7.1, better pick a Blu-ray player that has 7.1 analog outputs!)

HDMI INPUTS: up to 5.1 channels, and ABLE to apply Audyssey processing

I guess those are your choices? :)

You could, if possible, send your AVC-A11XV away for the 'A' upgrade, which allows:
up to 7.1 PCM through the HDMI inputs
1080p upscaling and passthrough
internet control
network streaming capability

Personally, if 7.1 wasn't essential for you, I'd use the HDMI inputs, and utilise the Audyssey processing. I've owned an AVC-A11XV (and had it 'A' upgraded), and can vouch that the internall DACs and amplifiers are of an extremely high standard indeed. Your amp still puts many modern amps to shame!

Hi again! I thought I'd answer here, (as opposed to a PM) so I can be corrected if needed, and so others can add their input.

So you want to hear the new HD codecs on Blu-ray disc.
HD audio comes in 3 basic varieties on Blu-ray disc, but the end results are the same- multichannel PCM. This multichannel PCM then needs to get decoded to analog (either in your Denon amp or in a seperate Blu-ray player), so it can be amplified and sent to your speakers.

Those 3 varieties?
On a Blu-ray disc you'll see the lossless soundtrack labelled as either:
PCM
Dolby True HD
DTS-HD Master Audio

The last 2 formats are really clever, they are essentially a PCM soundtrack 'compressed' to make it occupy a smaller space. When a Dolby True HD, or DTS-HDMA soundtrack is decoded (or rather de-compressed), either in an AV amp, or in a Blu-ray player the end result is the same, multi-channel PCM.

Now, (if using HDMI), WHERE those compressed lossless formats (Dolby True HD/DTS-HDMA) are decompressed/decoded doesn't really matter. Whether decoded either in the amp (which your amp cant do anyway), or in the player itself (essential for you, as your amp cant decode the compressed lossless formats), the result is exactly the same- mutichannel PCM. And that multichannel PCM will then be decoded to analog sound by the very lovely DACs in your Denon amp.

If you choose to use the analog inputs on your Denon amp however, things could be different. You would no longer be using the DACs in your amp, but the DACs in the Blu-ray player of your choice. These may either be of a better or lesser quality than the ones in your Denon AVC-A11XV amp.

Your amp can accept:

ANALOG INPUTS: up to 7.1 channels, but NOT able to apply Audyssey processing (so if you want 7.1, better pick a Blu-ray player that has 7.1 analog outputs!)

HDMI INPUTS: up to 5.1 channels, and ABLE to apply Audyssey processing

I guess those are your choices? :)

You could, if possible, send your AVC-A11XV away for the 'A' upgrade, which allows:
up to 7.1 PCM through the HDMI inputs
1080p upscaling and passthrough
internet control
network streaming capability

Personally, if 7.1 wasn't essential for you, I'd use the HDMI inputs, and utilise the Audyssey processing. I've owned an AVC-A11XV (and had it 'A' upgraded), and can vouch that the internall DACs and amplifiers are of an extremely high standard indeed. Your amp still puts many modern amps to shame!

Thanks a lot guys :) .. i learned a lot 2day.

I think i will look for an A11XVA or an AVC A1XVA. My A11XV will sell here for around 900-1000 euro´s.

The prices in the UK for an A11XVA (used) are about 1000 euro or maybe less.

So for me there is no need to go for the more expensive A1HDA amplifier to take advantage of the HD sound formats, it has some extra features compared to the A1XVA, but i think almost the same quality and cheaper.

Now i understand why there is such a run on the A1XVA here in The Netherlands and on Ebay, because it´s still doing great using the new HD surround formats.

Thanks again guys ;)

Your questions have already been answered but rather than jump straight into buying a new Amp why not try it all out first. The A11XV doesn't lose much by not being able to accept a 7.1 LPCM signal. There aren't that many 7.1 soundtracks around and you can use Dolby PLIIx on a 5.1 LPCM track to give you 7.1 anyway. As mentioned you can also apply Audyssey, THX etc etc.

As I've found with my A1XV this works perfectly well and as a bonus it also passes through a 1080p24 video signal without a hitch (it doesn't like 1080p60 or 1080p50 though). The result is no need to buy a new Amp or upgrade it to "A" spec.

Your questions have already been answered but rather than jump straight into buying a new Amp why not try it all out first. The A11XV doesn't lose much by not being able to accept a 7.1 LPCM signal. There aren't that many 7.1 soundtracks around and you can use Dolby PLIIx on a 5.1 LPCM track to give you 7.1 anyway. As mentioned you can also apply Audyssey, THX etc etc.

As I've found with my A1XV this works perfectly well and as a bonus it also passes through a 1080p24 video signal without a hitch (it doesn't like 1080p60 or 1080p50 though). The result is no need to buy a new Amp or upgrade it to "A" spec.

You´ve got a good point there, i will test it first but it will be in Januari.

Does the A11XV - A1XV amp also support 30-36 bit deep color through HDMI?

Some good advise from Jase there! I'd say that your options to 'upgrade' are perhaps a little more limited than you may at fiirst think! Other than the new Denon A1HDA integrated amp, or the big pre/pro rig, there still isn't much on the market (IMHO) that will touch the high end Denon amps, this generation, or the last...

Up to 24 bit only. I couldn't see any difference when I tested a direct connection from my Blu Ray player to plasma.

Cool!! :smashin:

Some good advise from Jase there! I'd say that your options to 'upgrade' are perhaps a little more limited than you may at fiirst think! Other than the new Denon A1HDA integrated amp, or the big pre/pro rig, there still isn't much on the market (IMHO) that will touch the high end Denon amps, this generation, or the last...

I see that you have an A1HDA, is there much difference in stereo compared with the A11XVA ?

I see that you have an A1HDA, is there much difference in stereo compared with the A11XVA ?

I don't really think so no. Both the A1HD and the A11XVA are VERY high quality amps indeed! :smashin:

I don't really think so no. Both the A1HD and the A11XVA are VERY high quality amps indeed! :smashin:

Good to know thanks ! :)

Njoy the weekend .

Ive got the A11XVA and love it. Has anyone compared a newer HD Denon against the LPCM via HDMI of the A11XVA/A1XVA, just wondering if there was much differece at all?

I have a similar query, but with the slightly older AVC-A1SRA amp. What are my options for the HD soundtracks with the 4010 BD player? Can the 4010 output SACD/DVD-A data in Denon Link 3 format (amp has been suitably upgraded)?

Tennant

I have been using the Denon AVC-A11XV (not the "A" version) with the PS3 sending PCM 5.1 via HDMI and it works great!

Recently i have been looking for a firmware update that activates PCM 7.1. It seem to be a firmware called "Main 1.53" (i have "Main 1.45") that activates PCM 7.1 support via HDMI. What i can tell, this firmware is NOT the firmware installed with the "A" upgrade.

Reading the changelog at: http://firmware.denon-online.eu/

The following is stated:

Changelog of AVCA11XV
Main 01.53
When AVR/AVC amplifier connects to EPSON EMP-TW1000 with HDMI cable, AVR/AVC amplifier does not understand the resolution of Display. Therefore a picture does not display properly.
When the customer connected the HDMI output of the source equipment which does not support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection system) to the HDMI input of an AV amplifier, a picture is blinking
When the customer connected the source equipment to the COMPONENT input of an AV amplifier and AV amplifier and Display with HDMI connection, the customer controlled MASTER VOLUME up and down, a Flashing Noise indicates in a picture at once.
The AV amplifier did not support the LPCM 7.1ch digital signal from the HDMI input.
The AV amplifier did not support the Audio Digital signal at PC resolution (SVGA, XGA, etc.) from the HDMI input.

Unfortunatly the firmware file is missing at this site. Anyone know where to get this firmware?

:confused: Guys I phoned Denon up a couple of days ago about just this subject, and I was told that the upgraded "A" version (which I have) can only give the latest sound codecs through the 7.1 analogue outs of a BD player into the 7.1 inputs of the 11xva as it is only 1.1 capable. Yet according to this thread i'm supposed to be able to get these codecs through one of the hdmi inputs. So firstly which hdmi input do I plug in to get Dolby True HD and DTS Master audio and secondly who's right? I'm really confused...or possibly a bit thick. :suicide: Mr Denon said that if I use the hdmi route then the sound would downmix to standard DD or DTS....i'm going nuts. If this amp can decode the latest codecs via an hdmi input this would mean that I don't need to buy a BD player with the analogue outs then...or do I? Help. :rolleyes:

:confused: Guys I phoned Denon up a couple of days ago about just this subject, and I was told that the upgraded "A" version (which I have) can only give the latest sound codecs through the 7.1 analogue outs of a BD player into the 7.1 inputs of the 11xva as it is only 1.1 capable. Yet according to this thread i'm supposed to be able to get these codecs through one of the hdmi inputs. So firstly which hdmi input do I plug in to get Dolby True HD and DTS Master audio and secondly who's right? I'm really confused...or possibly a bit thick. :suicide: Mr Denon said that if I use the hdmi route then the sound would downmix to standard DD or DTS....i'm going nuts. If this amp can decode the latest codecs via an hdmi input this would mean that I don't need to buy a BD player with the analogue outs then...or do I? Help. :rolleyes:

That doesn't sound right from Mr Denon to me? Maybe you should call back and speak to somebody else.

That doesn't sound right from Mr Denon to me? Maybe you should call back and speak to somebody else.

I know it doesn't sound right, the only reason I was able to phone Denon up from home on this occassion was due to the fact that I was feeling a bit unwell that day. But due to my job,a London taxi driver...day work, (hence licensed taximan) phoning up is something thats' virtually impossible for me to do, and apart from anything else I have a pay as you go mobile therefore far too expensive to phone up asking questions like that. So if someone on these hallowed forums could possibly help out with the information I would be most grateful.
Does the above amp in its' "a" iteration version output via hdmi DDTrue HD & DTS Master or not, or only through its 7.1 analogue inputs? :lease:

I know it doesn't sound right, the only reason I was able to phone Denon up from home on this occassion was due to the fact that I was feeling a bit unwell that day. But due to my job,a London taxi driver...day work, (hence licensed taximan) phoning up is something thats' virtually impossible for me to do, and apart from anything else I have a pay as you go mobile therefore far too expensive to phone up asking questions like that. So if someone on these hallowed forums could possibly help out with the information I would be most grateful.
Does the above amp in its' "a" iteration version output via hdmi DDTrue HD & DTS Master or not, or only through its 7.1 analogue inputs? :lease:

It does not output TrueHD or DTS Master through HDMI, but it will accept HD audio via LPCM(when decoded by Bluray player)

Look here

Like Walter said : let your blu ray player do the decoding job and it will send LPCM to the Denon AVC A11XVA, and you will have all the HD sound formats DDtrue HD & DTS Master.

So there is no need to upgrade to another amp.

Hi there,

user Jase said the A11Xv still works with 1080@24p passtrough. Is someone else here who use the A11XV without A update with a 1080@24p signal?
In some german forum they said it doesen´´t work

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom